Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   On The Road... (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/)
-   -   A visit to Wench Ck CG, near Tahoe, CA (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/a-visit-to-wench-ck-cg-near-tahoe-ca-53845.html)

Mexray 07-14-2009 08:44 PM

A visit to Wench Ck CG, near Tahoe, CA

7 Attachment(s)
Our family trekked up into Calif's Sierra Nevada Mts., just West of Lake Tahoe for six days - just got home...

In this area, there many Forest Service campgrounds, most are reservable, but a large one and several small ones are 'first-come' status...

Last Thursday, we made it into Wench Creek CG, the large (100 sites) 'first-come' camp to find it about 1/2 empty...it's located on Union Valley Reservoir, a large alpine lake at about 4950 ft...

Here's the FS info: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/doc..._pac_wench.pdf

The GPS Lat/Lon is: 38.889/-120.374

You can also view it here: Map of Latitude: 38.889 Longitude: -120.374, by MapQuest

It was a tight fit for our 28ft AS, but we navigated through the camp carefully and squeezed right into site #94...our son's family made it into site #95 later that day with their SOB...

We had a great time, our daughter towed our son's boat to the CG, and we all got several chances to wet our hooks for some Trout...yummy!

We also were 'visited' several times in the middle of the night by one of the year-round residents of the forest - a large Bear! He (she) made off with some marshmallows we'd left on the camp table by mistake, while we were all around the campfire at the other site...a neighbor across the road got some good pic's of our Bear 'friend' the next night in his campsite, looking for more goodies! Hey, it's 'their' home up there in the Mts...

Here's some pics of our outing, including another 'bear', (Mexray) with our 4-month old grandson, little 'bear', strapped in place as we trek around the camp...do you think 'pink' is my color???:lol:

Grandma, daughter Janice, GD Amberly, DIL Shasta, and son Jason are seen in some of the other pics...along with some great Dutch Oven Enchiladas one evening...

The CG filled up on over the weekend, as it's less than 2 hours from Sacramento, and the road is paved all the way in...but we almost had the place to ourselves come sunday night!

We also had nightly visits by several deer, and we saw several Bald Eagles and Peregrines 'fishing' in the lake during the day...

It was great to be up into the fresh air of the forest for a few days...can't wait to get back!

Airslide 07-14-2009 09:06 PM

Great pictures.. Looks like you guys had a really good time. We love to stay at Wrights lake and Ice House resevoir. Wrights lake is probably out now as the airstream is a bit too low for the washouts and a bit too long to navigate through the campground. We used to go up there in the motorhome but it sure is beautiful.

Vin

Mexray 07-17-2009 10:08 PM

Yes, Ice house reservoir is another great place in the same area...also, the US Forest Service has done a great job planting new trees after the big fire in the area, several years ago...

FreshAir 07-17-2009 11:46 PM

We are heading up to Wright's Lake on Sunday for most of the week. I know Union but camped only once a long time ago with ours son's Scout group. They wouldn't let me take our trailer!!!! Anyway was that you, Mexray, that I stopped and said hello to in the Placerville Walmart parking lot?
NEIL

Mexray 07-19-2009 12:14 AM

Yes, Neil, that was us there at Placerville...as you drove away, I told my wife that I thought that was you...had you been in your bright red 'ragtop', we'd have recognized you right off...:D

FreshAir 07-19-2009 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mexray (Post 723614)
Yes, Neil, that was us there at Placerville...as you drove away, I told my wife that I thought that was you...had you been in your bright red 'ragtop', we'd have recognized you right off...:D

As I drove away I kep saying over and over,' Blue Halo....Blue Halo, I know that name'. I guess if you had 5 flags a-fluttering from her.....It's too hot for the 'ragtop'. It's got a good AC (R12) but it's too dang hot. We are off to Wright's as soon as I shut this 'puter down. The top is UP....TOO DANG :angry: HOT!
Neil.