Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445/)
-   -   HHOT ROD / Lightning Rod (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445/hhot-rod-lightning-rod-53223.html)

ROBERTSUNRUS 06-29-2009 11:24 PM

HHOT ROD / Lightning Rod

:) Hi, I was thinking of installing either a Lightning Rod or Hhot Rod 120 volt electric water heater conversion kit to my Safari. I thought this would be a nice quiet way to keep the water hot at night and/or to save on propane. My plan was to make a separate 20 AMP cord for this system so I wouldn't have to hack into my existing electrical system for a receptical and switch.

:sad: Now after going on the Atwood site and reading all of the reasons not to do it, I would like to hear from anyone who has installed one of these kits and what your experiences were good and bad.

(1.) Voids warranty..........................I'm out of warranty

(2.) If electric sensor malfunctions and water temp goes over 180 degrees, an Atwood sensor costing about $100.00 will go bad.

(3.) Same as (2.) above, water heater will have a wet explosion. My water heater is mounted under my bed / under my head. Not good.

:brows: For now we turn the water heater off at night and back on in the morning.

eldin 07-11-2009 11:40 AM

I bought a hottrod kit my 76 argosy which has a bowden (atwood) 6 gal water heater)the heating element in the kit is to large for the drain opening. Do they make a smaller size heating element (it so can I buy one separately).? Next question , can i drill the existing drain plug to make the large one I have fit? eldin

Kevin245 07-11-2009 03:50 PM

Hey Bob,

We helped a friend change one out over the 4th weekend. It was fairly simple and a clever use of the drain port.

The only draw back I saw is that draining the WH for freeze protection would be require removal of the element if you can't drain it through your plumbing lines. If you live in warm climates it's no big deal.

I'd go with it if ours wasn't 2-way already.

If you proceed, please photo document your steps for the benefit of the group.

Best of Luck,

Kevin

Regards,

Kevin

Wayne&Sam 07-11-2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS (Post 715882)
:) water heater will have a wet explosion. My water heater is mounted under my bed / under my head. Not good.

I think that would just be the blow off valve letting loose and that's outside.

dstalzer 07-11-2009 05:03 PM

Hhot Rod

I installed a Hhot Rod in my old 82 Holiday Rambler trailer about 3 years ago and had no issues with it. I added a separate circuit, breaker and switch for this device. When we pulled into a campground we would flip the switch to on and never use the propane. It worked great and we saved the propane. I no longer have the HR, but if I had any RV with only propane for hot water, I would again install the Hhot Rod unit.

Dennis