Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Title, VIN & Registration (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f352/)
-   -   VIN Number decipher please (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f352/vin-number-decipher-please-52522.html)

goswick 06-13-2009 06:29 AM

VIN Number decipher please
 
Can someone decipher this VIN for me?

1268J175

Thanks,

Pete

Aage 06-13-2009 07:30 AM

Probably the first character is the letter "I".

International
26'
1968
made in Jackson Center, IL
#175 off the line, twin bed

Maybe. I'm no pro at that. :D

goswick 06-13-2009 07:44 AM

Thanks....

Pete

overlander63 06-13-2009 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aage (Post 709128)
Probably the first character is the letter "I".

International
26'
1968
made in Jackson Center, IL
#175 off the line, twin bed

Maybe. I'm no pro at that. :D

My Captain Power Decoder Ring agrees with you.:wally:

azflycaster 06-13-2009 09:33 AM

My ring says, "Drink more Ovaltine".
http://images-cdn01.associatedconten.../300_26674.gif

BIGED52 06-13-2009 11:56 AM

I need to ID these Argosy Vin #'s
 
I have located two Argosy trailers but would like to know more about them. Here is the info I have but the windows are all covered so I cannot tell what floor plans look like. One trailer only says Argosy on the end caps, the other has Argosy 24 plate near entrance door.

Argosy vin# 26D50132
Mfg Date 9/74
GVWR 6200 lbs. This is a larger trailer than the 24' below and has a Zip Dee awning. Both have tandem axles this one has had the axles replaced and aluminum wheels added. The entire exterior paint color is (beige/sand/ tan).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Argosy 24 vin# 24T4V1015
Mfg Date 6/74
GVWR 5800 lbs. This is a 24 foot that has been sitting in the same spot for 9 years and has never moved. It has a Carefree awning on it that appears to be the type that the arms can detach from the bottom mounts and be used like patio poles. This one has 4 original hub caps that look like my Airstream hub caps but the color of the squares and the backgroud color appear to be tan to match the lower exterior color. The upper half is white.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------I also found this Airstream

Safari vin# L23T2-S1170

It has the ghosted WBCCI number 3880 on the end caps. Can someone Id these trailers for me and is the first one a '75 model year build? I think the Airstream is an early 70's model Safari. It has two small D shaped windows on either side of the front window. Thanks, Ed

azflycaster 06-13-2009 12:32 PM

Argosy vin# 26D50132 - This VIN is a little strange, but in the Airstream world that is not uncommon. I would say it was a 26 foot 75 Argosy with the Double Bed layout. It does not indicate the plant it was built in.

Argosy 24 vin# 24T4V1015 - This would be a 74 Argosy with twin beds, made in Versailles, Ohio.

Safari vin# L23T2-S1170 - This would be a 72 Safari (22 foot) with twin beds, made in California with the standard Land Yatch trim.

BIGED52 06-13-2009 04:07 PM

Thanks Richard, I knew someone would help me out! I have to do more searching on this trio. The 24 foot has a made for Elmer and Mary Langel or Lancel brass plate by the door. The one that interested me the most was the Argosy that doesn't say the length anywhere on the trailer. Could the ZERO in the 24 foot vin # be an "O" for Ohio? Ed

overlander63 06-13-2009 05:55 PM

Ed, that strange serial number may be a California Argosy. They did make a handful there.

BIGED52 06-13-2009 11:37 PM

Thanks, I'll drop by where they are parked and see if I can find and more info on it. Ed

JIMandPJ 07-05-2009 05:42 PM

This is so close to the original request, I hope yall don't mind me tagging on. Could you help out with my VIN number. Its I268-S718-2754. I follow the information up above but it seems I have a few more digits than Pete describes. So whats with the last 4 digits?

I just registered because I'm soon to be the owner of this trailer. I've been lurking in the shadows for a couple of years trying to line out the necessities for owning an airstream (like where to park it and a proper tow vehicle). This is a sweetheart deal but the inside of the trailer will require a lot of work. Its been sitting unocuppied for 5 years or more.
I've been thru a lot of the threads on the forum and I'm really looking forward to refurbishing it. I've followed the Airforums long enough to know you guys really know your stuff and are more than willing to give lots of advise, which I know I will soon need. Thanks in advance guys & gals.
By the way, that guy Andy rocks!

richinny 07-05-2009 06:40 PM

welcome aboard! we have at least three andys here... and they all rock!

Mikethefixit 07-05-2009 07:28 PM

Aage
One small correction, ITS Jackson Center,Ohio NOT Ill. It appears you could use a tour.

Aage 07-08-2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikethefixit (Post 717851)
Aage
One small correction, ITS Jackson Center,Ohio NOT Ill. It appears you could use a tour.

Whoops! At least I didn't call it Jacksonville again, as I did in another post a while back.

And to think I was within an hours drive of it on the way to FL last February. SWMBO wasn't interested though.

Inland RV Center, In 07-08-2009 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMandPJ (Post 717817)
This is so close to the original request, I hope yall don't mind me tagging on. Could you help out with my VIN number. Its I268-S718-2754. I follow the information up above but it seems I have a few more digits than Pete describes. So whats with the last 4 digits?

I just registered because I'm soon to be the owner of this trailer. I've been lurking in the shadows for a couple of years trying to line out the necessities for owning an airstream (like where to park it and a proper tow vehicle). This is a sweetheart deal but the inside of the trailer will require a lot of work. Its been sitting unocuppied for 5 years or more.
I've been thru a lot of the threads on the forum and I'm really looking forward to refurbishing it. I've followed the Airforums long enough to know you guys really know your stuff and are more than willing to give lots of advise, which I know I will soon need. Thanks in advance guys & gals.
By the way, that guy Andy rocks!

The last four numbers are production code numbers that has nothing to do with the serial number.

Andy

overlander64 07-08-2009 11:13 PM

VIN Number decipher please
 
Greetings Ed!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGED52 (Post 709274)
Thanks Richard, I knew someone would help me out! I have to do more searching on this trio. The 24 foot has a made for Elmer and Mary Langel or Lancel brass plate by the door. The one that interested me the most was the Argosy that doesn't say the length anywhere on the trailer. Could the ZERO in the 24 foot vin # be an "O" for Ohio? Ed


The Argosy 24 has a fairly logical VIN for a coach late in the model year.

Argosy 24 vin# 24T4V1015

24 = Measurement in Feet (Rounded According to Airstream Method)
T = Center Twin Bed Floorplan
4 = 1974 Model Year
V = Versailles, OH
1015 = Sequential Production Number

I don't have all of my information at hand as I am on the road in Southwest Wisconsin, but if my memory is correct the 1015 is the coach's position within the entire production sequence for Argosy RVs in 1974.

The Argosy 26 VIN also is basically as one would expect for a coach manufactured in the first month of the model year.

Argosy vin# 26D5?0132

26 = Measurement in Feet (Rounded Using The Airstream Method)
D = Center Double Bed Floorplan
5 = 1975 Model Year
? = Production Plant (V=Versailles, OH/S=Cerritos, CA)
0132 = Sequential Production Number (August would be first full month of production for 1975 models).

Kevin

sempi2 07-08-2009 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aage (Post 709128)
Probably the first character is the letter "I".

International
26'
1968
made in Jackson Center, IL
#175 off the line, twin bed

Maybe. I'm no pro at that. :D

Right or wrong that is pretty impressive.

sempi2 07-08-2009 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlander64 (Post 719271)
Greetings Ed!




The Argosy 24 has a fairly logical VIN for a coach late in the model year.

Argosy 24 vin# 24T4V1015

24 = Measurement in Feet (Rounded According to Airstream Method)
T = Center Twin Bed Floorplan
4 = 1974 Model Year
V = Versailles, OH
1015 = Sequential Production Number

I don't have all of my information at hand as I am on the road in Southwest Wisconsin, but if my memory is correct the 1015 is the coach's position within the entire production sequence for Argosy RVs in 1974.

The Argosy 26 VIN also is basically as one would expect for a coach manufactured in the first month of the model year.

Argosy vin# 26D5?0132

26 = Measurement in Feet (Rounded Using The Airstream Method)
D = Center Double Bed Floorplan
5 = 1975 Model Year
? = Production Plant (V=Versailles, OH/S=Cerritos, CA)
0132 = Sequential Production Number (August would be first full month of production for 1975 models).

Kevin

Again, pretty impressive.

Dakota's Dad 07-09-2009 07:51 AM

OK, so I could swear I found a chart or flow sheet somewhere to decipher this..

But then here is this active thread with knowledge just all over it, so..

I31-A9J-2485
I get the "international 31 foot" and guess the 2485 is its sequence number. but the A9J ?

but I also have a set of numbers/letters on the top half of the serial number plate that are:

A-153 and what appears to be: OJ .

Thanks for help with the parts I don't understand.

Mark

Inland RV Center, In 07-12-2009 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota's Dad (Post 719333)
OK, so I could swear I found a chart or flow sheet somewhere to decipher this..

But then here is this active thread with knowledge just all over it, so..

I31-A9J-2485
I get the "international 31 foot" and guess the 2485 is its sequence number. but the A9J ?

but I also have a set of numbers/letters on the top half of the serial number plate that are:

A-153 and what appears to be: OJ .

Thanks for help with the parts I don't understand.

Mark

The A9J is part of the serial number.

The "A" is for a center bath twin (if I remember correctly).

The 9 is the year (1979)

The J means it was made in Jackson Center, Ohio.

Andy


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.