Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Airstream Motorhome Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f156/)
-   -   Factory tour (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f156/factory-tour-5124.html)

ALANSD 06-25-2003 03:14 PM

Factory tour

We recently passed near the Bluebird Motorcoach factory in Ft.Valley Georgia, outside Macon. As I am the curious sort, with indulgence form my wife and kids we took a tour of the plant.
Fascinating to see the metal chassis parts come in one door and the finished 35'-40' coaches roll out the other. Saw the bodies being built, all interior fabrication, and the cabinet and trim shops.
These are some fabulous looking rigs, although very much on the high end price wise. Now owned by Prevost Corp.
The shop had a number of vintage birds in for repairs, updates, and they have a campground behind the building for owners who are waiting for work to be done. Nice operation and friendly folk.
Tours are Monday to Thursday at 10 and 2 only.
I have photos, but won't post them here....;)

Pick 06-25-2003 03:32 PM

Surely you aren't thinking of......no, he wouldn't.;)

63flyingcloud 06-25-2003 03:41 PM

He's Cheating On Us! And he's remorseless, to boot!! :D

jcanavera 06-25-2003 03:49 PM

Did I detect a lusting in his heart?:o

53flyingcloud 06-25-2003 03:57 PM

Can't be

Prevost is a charter bus line?

53flyingcloud 06-25-2003 03:58 PM

Just kidding

Gawd...

They make one fantastic MM..If you can afford it.

jcanavera 06-25-2003 04:07 PM

Re: Can't be

Quote:

Originally posted by 53FlyingCloud
Prevost is a charter bus line?
They make custom Rv's and busses. I was camped in Colorado Springs one year in the middle of a Prevost RV club rally. Must have been 80 units there. One owner offered $25 to my son if he would blacken his tires.

The one thing I remembered was one fellow who opened up one of the storage compartments and proceed to pull out a stainless steel grill and kitchen components. All was on some type of slide out.

Every unit had some type of mural painted on its side and rear.

We spent our few days there trying to figure out what kind of job the owners had or retired from.

Jack

53flyingcloud 06-25-2003 04:23 PM

Really..

I don't doubt it for a second, Jack.

2 years ago, I was at CherryHill RV park, outside of Washington, DC for a convention and, one of the guys there had a Prevost setup just down from us. Walked over and, after talking "shop" for awhile..his wife came out and, invited the two of us in for a cool tour. It goes without saying, that Prevost MH are in a class all of it's own.
I found it to be well built and, extremely nice~!
ciao

Kistler 06-25-2003 04:40 PM

I am really happy that Thor/Airstream is continuing to make TTs for the not-so-affluent. :)

wb13798 06-25-2003 04:51 PM

if i could afford one i would be driving one. the rich pukes from auburm drive them to football ralleys. they depreciate more in one year than my silver weeinie is worth. lol
al

thenewkid64 06-25-2003 04:57 PM

Alan,

We took the tour as part of an Airstream Region Rally 4-5 years ago. If money were not an impediment.

Cool things I liked was the hydronic heat in the floor, it was engine and boiler based, and an engine driven DC Generator (200+ Amps as I remember) that would allow for the Roof AC to be run from Inverters and the battery bank. One of the ones in trim had a marble tile floor in the bathroom............

I love my Argosy's. I love my Argosy's. I love my Argosy's. I love my Argosy's.

Don't even ask about Maint. costs, if you have to ask how much a 25000 mile service is you can't afford the rig.

Dbraw 06-26-2003 06:30 AM

My wife's cousin has a Prevost. It is really nice. Price $800,000. He got it new from a dealer in trouble for a mere $500,000. Such a deal. His rear view mirrors cost more than we paid for our '71 Safari and we have a lot more fun than he does. Go figure.
Dan

ViewRVs 06-26-2003 09:04 AM

It's a strong word but Alan is bordering on coveting those coaches! Stay grounded Alan!

1 : to wish for enviously
2 : to desire (what belongs to another) inordinately or culpably
intransitive senses : to feel inordinate desire for what belongs to another

Hopefully Alan didn't offend his other love! Just think of it this way, the value drop of depreciation driving those expensive things off the lot is more than the value of our MH's! :p

None of us covet the payments! :p

ALANSD 06-26-2003 05:25 PM

well here is how I really feel....the Bluebirds are beautiful, but I don't want or need corian, leather, 500hp, crystal lighting, a shower nicer than the one in my house, and so on. I was awestruck by their assembly and the quality. Prevosts are even more of the same......
I do lust for a 1989 Bluebird anniversary 35 foot diesel that I have seen ....but I love my 280, it fits my lifestyle, and is fun to drive and affordable. Maintenance is done by yours truly, and I have this big group of folks to get advice form whenever needed.
So what else do I need?Beside I do have the jacket!!!
Check out
www.vintagebirds.com
sometime to see the older Bluebirds.

ALANSD 06-26-2003 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bluebird framed....