Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445/)
-   -   Hot Water Heater Problem Solved (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445/hot-water-heater-problem-solved-50423.html)

Larry71 04-18-2009 05:18 PM

Hot Water Heater Problem Solved

We were in Florida at a rental house for three months and parked our Airstream in the lot near the house. On our way home (in Georgia) I noticed that the hot water heater was not working. It was working fine on our way down to Florida three months previous.

I discovered that the thermal cut off fuse on the heater was fried. I had no idea where to get a replacement. I eventually was referred to a Radio Shack. The thermal cut off is made up of a number of different parts that are put together at the factory. Radio Shack did not have one but was able to sell me all the different parts that I needed to assemble my own thermal cut off. Once I cleared the gas line of a spider web and plugged in my homemade thermal cut off the heater worked great.

I have ordered thermal cut off replacements (Atwood sells them two to a pack) for when I get home to replace my homemade job. But knowing that Radio Shack could solve my problem saved me from many days of cold showers.

Inland RV Center, In 04-18-2009 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry71 (Post 688641)
We were in Florida at a rental house for three months and parked our Airstream in the lot near the house. On our way home (in Georgia) I noticed that the hot water heater was not working. It was working fine on our way down to Florida three months previous.

I discovered that the thermal cut off fuse on the heater was fried. I had no idea where to get a replacement. I eventually was referred to a Radio Shack. The thermal cut off is made up of a number of different parts that are put together at the factory. Radio Shack did not have one but was able to sell me all the different parts that I needed to assemble my own thermal cut off. Once I cleared the gas line of a spider web and plugged in my homemade thermal cut off the heater worked great.

I have ordered thermal cut off replacements (Atwood sells them two to a pack) for when I get home to replace my homemade job. But knowing that Radio Shack could solve my problem saved me from many days of cold showers.

Larry.

Airstream "does not" use hot water heaters.:sad:

But, they do use many "cold" water heaters.:D:D

I don't know anyone that heats hot water, but we all heat cold water.:band:

When you encounter a problem with an Airstream, the first step towards repair is, ya gotta smile.:lol:

Andy

Jaxon 04-18-2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In (Post 688687)
I don't know anyone that heats hot water, but we all heats cold water.:band: :lol: Andy

Badda Bing!:bb:

FreshAir 04-18-2009 09:41 PM

Larry, don't you just hate smart asses :smartass:.

Neil.

macofpei 04-18-2009 09:47 PM

but the worst of it is we ALL call it a "Hot Water Heater" when it really is a cold water heater. Dang, I learned something new today.:cool:

ROBERTSUNRUS 04-19-2009 01:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
:) Hi, actually it is called a "water heater"; And if it works correctly your water will be hot. I know it isn't the best thing to do, but I have bypassed the thermal fuse, but only after I knew the tubes were clear and bought extras, first thing in the morning. I carry spares so I don't have to bypass them anymore.