Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/)
-   -   New to Airstream and new to vintage. (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/new-to-airstream-and-new-to-vintage-48022.html)

wncol2004 02-06-2009 09:42 AM

New to Airstream and new to vintage.

Howdy all. I decided it was time to become an Airstream owner and just took the dive. Here is my story.

About 6 months ago I found a 1953 Airstream Cruiser advertised for sale.
I went to look expecting very little. As we pulled into the driveway my wife said "I LOVE IT!". Ohhh my I thought. I don't even know how much work it will take. Well. To make a story short. We hauled it home the next day.
The tires were only 2 years old and the axle bearings had been repacked at the same time so that part was road ready for a short trip. The trailer had already been gutted and the sub floor replaced and was being religated to storage shed duty but only storagin the stuff that was intended to go back into the trailer. I aparently was a failed project. He had no more $ or time to sink into it. Sadily he didn't save any of the appliances or furniture when he gutted the trailer. He did save the arm rests for the Goucho and the drawers for the entire trailer but nothing else. He also tossed in a new stove, frig and water heater of which none were mounted.

Well. All in all. I worked on it for several months and got it almost ready.
Photos are located at
wncol2004's photos and albums on webshots

New running lights
new wiring to the running lights
new 120 volt electrical
many repairs to the plumbing
A few patches on the exterior skin.
New axle (brakes didn't work and parts no longer available).

All in all quiet a project but I have had a real blast fixing the old girl up.
Wife named her "The Runaway Sue".

Well. Gotta run.

Happy campin yall

--
Warren
1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.
1953 Airstream Cruiser Travel trailer (The Runaway Sue)
Western KY

Mel 02-06-2009 09:52 AM

Welcome! Just checked out your pictures - you certainly had your work cut out for you! What a clean, bright interior you've created. Glad you're enjoying your Cruiser, and have fun camping. :)

wkerfoot 02-06-2009 09:54 AM

Warren,

Hello and nice to see you here also.

Bill

Kevin245 02-06-2009 10:22 AM

Welcome Warren,

You have a lot of work ahead of you but it looks like she has good bones!!! The rest is just lipstick and rouge. The best part is tha fact your SO likes it. Please keep us updated with photographic progress.

Regards,

Kevin

moosetags 02-06-2009 10:34 AM

Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I looked at all your pictures. Great looking trailer, and great job on the inside.

Brian

CombatMedic 02-06-2009 11:48 AM

Welcome, have you thought about goint to the KY rally this spring? Hope to see you there!

Sixty3TW4US 02-06-2009 12:04 PM

Welcome to the forums and Congrats on the "54" Cruiser. The work you have done looks nice, Great Job!!

mouth012006 02-06-2009 01:49 PM

Congrats....how that you can go to the Dogwood Festival at Natural Bridge......Welcome to the Forum.

gail 02-06-2009 02:31 PM

You did mighty fine!

danalee 02-06-2009 06:08 PM

Runaway Sue sure looks cozy! Congratulations on a wonderful project!

jpeterman 02-06-2009 08:14 PM

Great pictures and I understand why she liked it so much
Good luck with her
Jerry

wncol2004 02-07-2009 08:04 PM

CombatMedic...

I didn't know about the KY rally. I'm not a WBCCI member yet and haven't been able to take the old girl out on her shake down cruise yet either. Right now the budget won't allow membership at this time. still sinking a bit of $ into fixing the old girl up and the project isn't finished yet. I have to keep the budget really tight to be able to complete the job. I hope to get the shake down cruise out of the way this spring and later this year add the propane system.

Thanks.

Warren.

wncol2004 02-07-2009 08:07 PM

Kevin & Monique, I don't think I will be able to make it that far this year but thanks anyway.

mouth012006 02-07-2009 08:15 PM

Well hope to see you next time....and she looks really good. We are starting the redo of ours but going for room by room....We keep sinking more and more money into ours too.:D We may just have to do a "Kentucky" gathering of AS to meet all of our neighbors that are around this beautiful state. They have such a good selection of State Parks for us to choose from.