Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Buyer Guidelines (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353/)
-   -   Off the lot or Order (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353/off-the-lot-or-order-44377.html)

cyafishin 08-14-2008 12:27 AM

Off the lot or Order

We are in no hurry to buy as I have a job which is busy from Aug-March. My summer is over! But we would like to buy by next March. Currently our local dealer has a 25' FB flying cloud twin in the color we like(what we want). Should we buy now knowing we won't use it for a while or wait hoping there is the same model available in 8 months. What is the cost difference btwn bargaining on one on the lot vs ordering one?

DEITZ645 08-14-2008 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyafishin (Post 603425)
We are in no hurry to buy as I have a job which is busy from Aug-March. My summer is over! But we would like to buy by next March. Currently our local dealer has a 25' FB flying cloud twin in the color we like(what we want). Should we buy now knowing we won't use it for a while or wait hoping there is the same model available in 8 months. What is the cost difference btwn bargaining on one on the lot vs ordering one?

Cyafishin,
I am not sure about the bargaining points of purchasing off the lot VS ordering or availability. But personally...If I saw a unit that had everything I watned and had the money in hand I would buy it, even if it was the middle of winter, but then again that's just me. I always want everything yesterday;).

moosetags 08-14-2008 07:12 AM

That's a tough choice. Price wise, you'll probably do better with the unit now on the lot. To have an ordered unit by March, you'll need to order around the first of the year. If you buy the one now, you'll have to store it over the winter.

Good luck with your decision.

Brian

Denis4x4 08-14-2008 08:20 AM

We ordered our AS with exactly what we wanted in February and picked it up in early May of 2006. I felt that our bargaining power was stronger as there were no flooring costs to the dealer and we paid cash. On the other hand, the dealer may well be anxious to get out from under the flooring costs associated with the particular AS you're interested in.

Flip a coin!

Al - K4GLU 08-14-2008 08:39 AM

If you do buy it be sure and let us know when the first filiform corrosion arrives. Haven't had any reported on a Flying Cloud - yet.

overlander63 08-14-2008 11:27 AM

Depending on how large the dealer is, and what their storage area are, you may be able to get a better deal buying now, and having them store it for you for the winter

cosmotini 08-14-2008 11:49 AM

One of the nice things about ordering is that you can get what you (mostly) want on it. We opted for the larger air conditioner, full awning package and a few other things that most dealers wouldn't normally have. I suggest getting a list of 'options' and think about what you want exactly rather than taking what's available.