Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Hitches, Couplers & Balls (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464/)
-   -   Early 60s ball size? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464/early-60s-ball-size-43608.html)

Lumatic 07-15-2008 08:38 PM

Early 60s ball size?

I just got a early 60s Ambassador on an offer I couldn't refuse. Only hitch is (pun intended) I have to get it out of there asap. Can anyone tell me the ball size? It looks smaller than my 2 5/16.

Also this AS has an upper and lower row of windows each about 1 foot high separated by about a foot of skin. I never saw one like that before. Can anyone tell me anything about that configuration?

I hope to put up some photos asap

overlander64 07-15-2008 08:54 PM

Early 60s Ball Size

Greetings Lumatic!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumatic (Post 590659)
I just got a early 60s Ambassador on an offer I couldn't refuse. Only hitch is (pun intended) I have to get it out of there asap. Can anyone tell me the ball size? It looks smaller than my 2 5/16.

Also this AS has an upper and lower row of windows each about 1 foot high separated by about a foot of skin. I never saw one like that before. Can anyone tell me anything about that configuration?

I hope to put up some photos asap

First, the hitch ball prior to 1969 was 2" on every Airstream. That presumes that a previous owner hasn't changed the coupler. The ball should be a large shank, 2" ball with a 6,000 gross trailer weight rating.

If the windows that you are referring to are in the center of the coach, these likely point toward a center "bunkhouse" sleeping arrangement that the factory offered at the time. If you are referring to the street-side windows in the front, that was the typical arrangement for eary 1960s Overlander and larger coaches.

Good luck with your new acquisition!

Kevin

Lumatic 07-15-2008 09:20 PM

Windows

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlander64 (Post 590664)
If the windows that you are referring to are in the center of the coach, these likely point toward a center "bunkhouse" sleeping arrangement that the factory offered at the time. If you are referring to the street-side windows in the front, that was the typical arrangement for eary 1960s Overlander and larger coaches.
Kevin

The windows look similar to the rear side windows in your photo 2/8 in the link. So it sounds more like your bunkhouse description. There is no front double jaulosy window as in the front of the photos I have only taken a quick look at her so I am not sure what is original. This baby predates silicone. It looks like the goop of choice by PO was good ol tar. Again I will try to post photos asap.

TinLoaf 07-16-2008 04:32 AM

I just helped a friend of mine pick up his 1964 Safari and it was a 2" ball. My ball was 2 5/16 so we had to pick up a new one to get the trailer home.