Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (
-   Sinks, Showers & Toilets (
-   -   1963 Safari Tub trim (

sdiddy 07-05-2008 09:11 AM

1963 Safari Tub trim
1 Attachment(s)
Hello All,

Does anyone have a source for the trim that goes between the tub and wall of a 1963 Safari? I've attached a pic showing the trim. I think its vinyl and goes over an aluminum piece that rivets to the wall holding the tub in place. Also, I believe the aluminum pieces are resusable, but if anyone has a source for those too, I'd appreciate the lead.

I've also included a link to my blog showing the restoration.

FreshAir 07-05-2008 09:28 AM

This is only a suggestion as I am not looking at the similar application in our Trade Wind. Check with any home supplier such as Home Depot. The dept that sells laminate supplies may have something that will work for you.

05ModPod 07-05-2008 11:44 AM


We have that trim from our 63 GT - it is in rough shape from a stain but is intact - along with the aluminum piece as well. We have replaced the tub with a new 08 shower unit. And will not be using the those parts.

I will try and find them and post a picture for you. I am not sure if they can be painted with something. They are cream - but have had some sort of red chemical reaction that has stained them.

You will not find a source for these as they are custom to the aluminum piece. The back of the "rubber" not vinyl piece has a custom channel to accept the aluminum piece that rivets to both the tub and to the back wall of the inner shell. Then the rubber trim piece seals the unit to the wall - as best as it could.

Will post pics in a few days - if you have any questions please pm me

flyfshr 07-05-2008 03:03 PM

Backsplash Trim Option
2 Attachment(s)
If that is the the trim I think it is, Dave Winnick used it in his design of the 75th Anniversary Edition and is available through Brunner Enterprises. It is the G121 and here's the link:

Cove after trim (3/4") - Aluminum Mirror Trim & 'J' Caps - Brunner - aluminum channel, extruded aluminum angle, anodized aluminum shapes, aluminum pipe, bar, tube, square tubing connector,aluminum channel, extruded aluminum angle, anodized aluminum s

I used it when I put my galley back in where the countertop meets the wall.


sdiddy 07-05-2008 05:40 PM

A closeup of the trim profile
1 Attachment(s)
The trim doesn't look like the one in your pic, but thanks. Here's a pic showing the profile of the trim.

The aluminum that holds the tub to the wall goes in the groove of the trim. The groove is on the left side of the trim. The thing on the right side of the pic is a piece of wood molding that was a camera hog.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

vinstream 07-05-2008 08:22 PM

I have searched all over for this trim also. I have discovered that your local auto apolstry supply shop has a rubber trim (OEM window trim) it forms over both side of the top of the tub and fits snug to the wall it comes in "h" shape. It comes in black white sand and grey. Hope that helps!

63Silver 07-05-2008 09:32 PM

I am also looking for this trim and have had no luck finding it. Can you tell me what to ask for at an auto shop?


vinstream 07-06-2008 06:41 PM

I will check at my shop on monday and report back then!

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.