Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Generators & Solar Power (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/)
-   -   EU1000 stumbles (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/eu1000-stumbles-41870.html)

azflycaster 05-09-2008 03:38 PM

EU1000 stumbles
 
I went to change the oil in my Honda EU1000i today and the engine was stumbling while I was warming it up before I changed the oil. I went ahead and changed the oil, cleaned the air filter, checked the plug and cleaned the exhaust screen. I also dumped the fuel and added fresh. Every thing looked fine, but it still stumbles. It is very noticeable when on Eco throttle. The stumble is at a regular about one second interval and it recovers right away. When Eco is off it just seems to run rough, but I am sure it is related. The generator is two years old and has about 25-30 hours on it. Any ideas?

B25guy 05-09-2008 03:50 PM

Usually a dirty carb or dirty plug or both. Do you keep Stabil in the gas when storing?

azflycaster 05-09-2008 03:57 PM

I use Sta-Bil in the gas and the plug looked good, maybe a little rich. Cleaned the plug. The gas in the generator may not have been treated. I remember that I loaned it at a rally earlier this year and they filled it up for me. If the carburetor is dirty any simple way to clean?

jayray5 05-09-2008 04:03 PM

Sounds like old gas. Drain the old stuff, fill with premium, add octane booster, and run for a few minutes in eco and then for about 10 minutes under a load.
If it doesn't get better you may have to clean carb and re jet it. Hope this works for you--Try to run premium for a couple tanks to keep it clean. I feel for you as I have been there.

john hd 05-09-2008 04:33 PM

rich

i don't know if you have ethanol in your gas down there, try some without if you do.

my bike runs cooler and better without it up here.

john

3Ms75Argosy 05-09-2008 05:07 PM

Search for stumbles... I believe this has come up before. My EU2000 does this as well after storage if I didn't use Stab bul in it. Just run it for awhile on high.. it'll go away.
Marc

silverback 05-09-2008 05:49 PM

Richard,
I spray a bunch of carb cleaner in the EU 2000 and mix Techron in the gas (try not to use Stabil). And I never let the gas get too old, try to run it for a half an hour every couple months max.That worked for me.
-Ken

azflycaster 05-09-2008 06:03 PM

We have success!
 
Dumped the old gas, filled it up with some 91 octane ($3.59 a gallon), added some Vavoline fuel system cleaner and let her run.

15 minutes on high throttle and she is running smooth again.

Lesson learned: Keep the gas fresh and run the generator once a month.
BTW, I just switched over to Moble1 oil...

Thanks for all the help!

Fyrzowt 05-09-2008 06:17 PM

Wow, I wish I could buy REGULAR at $3.59 per gallon. (Never thought I would say that)

Glad you found the problem.
Dave

overlander63 05-09-2008 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azflycaster
Dumped the old gas, filled it up with some 91 octane ($3.59 a gallon), added some Vavoline fuel system cleaner and let her run.

15 minutes on high throttle and she is running smooth again.

Lesson learned: Keep the gas fresh and run the generator once a month.
BTW, I just switched over to Moble1 oil...

Thanks for all the help!

Regular gas here is $3.64/gallon, it's too bad you can't send me some...
I've been using Mobil 1 in our 2000 for several years now. It seems to help, as the oil is cleaner when I drain it.

2airishuman 05-09-2008 08:55 PM

good outcome...

now run it under 50-70 % load for a couple of hours.

always try to use mid grade and for the monthly run provide a load.

i use it to power a vacuum cleaner in the truck, which may be more than the 1k can handle...

and the concentrated techron or bg44k will really cleaner her up! i use this before the oil change, 2x yearly.

cheers
2air'

DFord79 05-09-2008 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azflycaster
Dumped the old gas, filled it up with some 91 octane ($3.59 a gallon), added some Vavoline fuel system cleaner and let her run.

15 minutes on high throttle and she is running smooth again.

Lesson learned: Keep the gas fresh and run the generator once a month.
BTW, I just switched over to Moble1 oil...

Thanks for all the help!

Lesson number 2...Don't loan out tools, etc. I know this sounds selfish but I would bet thats where the dirt etc.? came from. I have stoped loaning anything. It NEVER comes back as I loaned it. The only one who I loan to is my Son. I know....I am narrow minded and selfish....but I learned the hard way.

I am too fussy.....so what I do is if someone wants to use my tiller for example...(last year neighbor) I tilled the soil for him..glad to do it..but I am not loaning anything anymore.

overlander63 05-10-2008 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFord79
Lesson number 2...Don't loan out tools, etc. I know this sounds selfish but I would bet thats where the dirt etc.? came from. I have stoped loaning anything. It NEVER comes back as I loaned it. The only one who I loan to is my Son. I know....I am narrow minded and selfish....but I learned the hard way.

I am too fussy.....so what I do is if someone wants to use my tiller for example...(last year neighbor) I tilled the soil for him..glad to do it..but I am not loaning anything anymore.

Where I work, most everyone has their own tools, but I have many specialty tools you don't find every day that they need to borrow. I keep several pages of a legal pad with each person's name on it, and write down the tool they borrow. If they borrow the same tool twice, the third time they have to buy one of their own.

Jaxon 05-10-2008 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2airishuman
good outcome...

i use it to power a vacuum cleaner in the truck, which may be more than the 1k can handle...

cheers
2air'

2Air, what are you vacuumin' up in there? Bowling balls? :lol:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.