Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Fun & Games (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f472/)
-   -   Cautious or Paranoid? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f472/cautious-or-paranoid-41856.html)

codybear 05-08-2008 07:10 PM

Cautious or Paranoid?

Here's a simple question I'll put out to you all:

What do you tell perfect total strangers when they drive right up to your drivewary and ask to go right into your a/s to look inside, and it's parked inside your private property?

Fyrzowt 05-08-2008 07:24 PM

"I'm sorry, I only give tours when I'm camping."

I suppose each situation is different.
You don't have to be paranoid to be cautious and safe. A healthy respect for your instincts is warranted. The ability of the subconscious mind to recognize trouble is well documented - ALWAYS trust it until you can prove that you picked up false cues.
Each situation is different: Daylight/nighttime or reduced lighting? Location - other folks around? What is your ability to react to a situation that would put you in peril?
Treat this type of person as you would a door to door sales person. Do you normally let them in your house? I don't for a variety of reasons, safety for myself and my family is one of them.
Dave

codybear 05-08-2008 07:37 PM

Hi Dave,

We had just pulled up to our house, from the Coast today..Steve was getting ready to go park the a/s and this guy pulled up fin his car from nowhere!!..'looking for a trailer, yours is so nice!'..says he sees us coming and going all the time..of course, we live on the corner, so we're quite 'exposed'..thnx for the same sentiments I had..I feel better!

ArtStream 05-08-2008 10:28 PM

invite them in

hit them with the stabilizer crank

take their wallets

rent a steam cleaner

simple
:innocent:

safari57 05-08-2008 10:37 PM

I'm with Artstream on this one. :D

They don't pull into your driveway and ask to see the inside of your home because they are thinking of buying one. The person asking may not appreciate the response but the easiest thing to do is to suggest they see the dealer as you are in the midst of unpacking and typically don't give tours anyway. You consider it an extension of your home. You can also suggest they will understand when they acquire one of their own how awkward it can get.

When we are camping it is different - the others folks there are also doing the same, and it just comes across as different. At my home I want my safety and privacy.

Barry

Goin camping 05-08-2008 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtStream
invite them in

hit them with the stabilizer crank

take their wallets

rent a steam cleaner

simple
:innocent:

I really wish I had thought of that before... I had to replace the carpet.

codybear 05-08-2008 11:38 PM

Glad you all weighed in!!..I had a talk w/Steve...no, no, no..let them go on the forums classified, rv dealer!!..no tours, trailer or home!!!..paula

wheel interested 05-09-2008 02:24 AM

We have never had any strangers come up and ask to see the Airstream at our home. But I have stopped at someone's house and asked to see their vintage Airstreams and they did give me the tour. I'm really glad they didn't hit me with the stabilizer crank though...:ermm:

Jim Clark 05-09-2008 04:55 AM

Depending on my mood I might tell them to get the hell off of my property or offer them coffee and donuts. I would evaluate the threat or lack of and act accordingly. If I had time and I felt the person was not a security risk I would be pleased to show them my trailer, I have done it in the past. It reminds me of the current Orkin commercial series with the big termite trying to sneak in.

When I sold my old trailer I had a couple come by and look at the trailer who only wanted to see what an Airstream looked like, they wasted my time as they made an appointment in the middle of the day and I had to leave work, they even admitted they just wanted to see an Airstream it was like an outing for them at my expense, I was polite but thought what a jerks.