Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1965 Caravel (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f145/)
-   -   Tire size for '65 Caravel (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f145/tire-size-for-65-caravel-40184.html)

Sheridan 03-05-2008 11:31 AM

Tire size for '65 Caravel

Could someone point me in the right direction when it comes to buying new tires for my 65 Caravel? The info I'm looking for is: Tire size, load rating or ply, best place to buy them, do I need tubes? I just bought a new axle and I want to replace the tires (all three of them). What's the best way to go?

Thanks,
Dan

pcasa 03-05-2008 12:27 PM

Caravel tires

There are many '65 Caravel owners on this forum who will probably jump into to help. I just replaced the tires on my '66 Caravel with the current day size equivalent to the factory tires - the original manual called for 6:70 X 15 tubeless tires. Be sure and get TRAILER tires not passenger tires - and I found that going to a smaller owner/operated tire store was a better option for me.

C Johnson 03-05-2008 04:16 PM

Hi Dan, I bought my tires at Les Schwab Tires. I think you have them in UT. I went down in rim size to 14" and up in tire size to get the right fit for me. I don't have the size I got right at the moment.

Sheridan 03-05-2008 05:36 PM

C J,
That's interesting, down sizing the rim and up sizing the tire. I never thought of that. Why did you go that direction?

I've got some radial passenger tires that are on the trailer now that are ST 205/75R X 15's with a C load rating (1820 lbs. at 45 psi). The 205's are only 4 ply and about an inch shorter than the recommended stock tire of 6.70 X 15.

Dan

Toldfield 03-05-2008 05:54 PM

I got my tire, Goodyear 6.70x15's, at a local tire store. This may still be a common size elsewhere as they were made in Peru.

C Johnson 03-06-2008 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheridan
C J,
That's interesting, down sizing the rim and up sizing the tire. I never thought of that. Why did you go that direction?

I've got some radial passenger tires that are on the trailer now that are ST 205/75R X 15's with a C load rating (1820 lbs. at 45 psi). The 205's are only 4 ply and about an inch shorter than the recommended stock tire of 6.70 X 15.

Dan

I went with the smaller rim because the smallest ST rated tire that was available to me was too close to the outriggers on both sides. I wanted more clearance between the tire and the outriggers. So I went down in rim size and up in tire size to get the largest tire I could and still be comfortable with how close the tire is to the trailer outriggers.

on a side note -- should the need ever arise, I will be able to use cable chains during the winter. I have towed the Caravel in the snow but the chain law wasn't up at the time. I take my Caravel off-road too so I wanted the clearance.

In a nutshell it was personal preference. I probably would have been just fine if I stayed on paved roads and out of the snow.

C Johnson 03-16-2008 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C Johnson
Hi Dan, I bought my tires at Les Schwab Tires. I think you have them in UT. I went down in rim size to 14" and up in tire size to get the right fit for me. I don't have the size I got right at the moment.

ST 205/75-14

sunnyhillfarm 04-07-2008 08:49 PM

Hi Dan,
We put on 700R-15/8 M53 Radial Hwy Tubeless (Toyo) as advised by Les Schwab. Our Caravel has been raised 1.5 inches; clearance is tight (1 inch) on forward streetside. We also have a new Henschen axle, so that plays into the equation.
Tony & Linda