Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   General Repair Forum (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Damage to 1995 Excella 1000 (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/damage-to-1995-excella-1000-a-38994.html)

travelinsue 01-13-2008 10:12 PM

Damage to 1995 Excella 1000

Help!:mad:

Help, I was towing my Excella through the RV park going about 5 mph when someone backed out from behing their motorcoach and complete racked the right side of my AS. Tore my awning off and ripped door off. They were backing out with a Jeep with a spare tire on the back. The tire started from my right front all the way back to the very back. Ripped everything off and put deep scratches in the side. Where do I start?? I live in my trailer and Workamp. I have no home but my RV. The other party is very upset . this happened today about 10:00 PST. I am in Indio, CA.

Where do I go to have her repaired. What do I live in???? So many questiosn. Need some advice.

travelinsue

Janet H 01-13-2008 10:19 PM

Oh that rots!! Did you file a police report? Get their info? Shouldn't their insurance cover this?

We have forum members in CA - hopefully they will chime in.

You need to get good info on fixing versus replacing. Does their insurance have to make you whole?

I am so sorry to hear about this.

Fyrzowt 01-13-2008 10:27 PM

Having gone through a similar incident a while back, I understand some of what you feel, but I didn't have to rely on mine for lodging.

There are a couple of places that can do the work:
Inland RV is one.
I'm at work, not at my home desk, but the other one is C&G or something like that.

I'm so sorry this happened, it's a hassle even without the living quarters issue.

I hope the insurance kicks in properly...
Dave

ROBERTSUNRUS 01-14-2008 12:00 AM

:) Hi, travelinsue. So sorry to hear about your trailer being damaged. The closest place to you would be Andy at Inland RV in Corona, Ca. Andy posts on this forum and you can locate his site on this forum. Go to members list and click on "Inland RV" and this will get you to a point where you can contact Andy, The next closest qualified place would be Rod at "C&G Trailer Service" in Belflower, Ca. [authorized Airstream repair facility] And your third closest place that can handle this would be Airstream factory in Ohio.

ArtStream 01-14-2008 08:47 AM

As a full timer myself, and having just gone thru a similar punch -in-the-stomach event, my heart goes out to ya.:o

Some repair shops my allow you to live in your trailer while you have repaires done. The good news it that your insurance should reimburse you for your hotel cost while repairs are done.

Get all the info, file a police report, take ton's of pictures and karma to you my friend.

Michael

PS, remember this, in 60 days this should all be a behind you.

Excella3287 01-14-2008 08:57 AM

My heart goes out to you. I had a tire blow and cause some damage but not like yours and I'm not a fulltimer YET. The closest repair facility is California RV Sales, 909 434-2522, in Fontana they sell Airstream trailers. The other is C&G Trailer in Bellflower,562 634-6286, Rod and Darlene are very nice and their prices are fair and their labor rate is better than others in the area. they also have the facilities to accomadate you while repairs are being done. Best wishes on your repairs.

Inland RV Center, In 01-14-2008 01:49 PM

California does have earthquakes.

But unless southern California cities have been rearranged by one, Corona is one half the distance from you than Bellflower, and with only a small amount of traffic instead of gridlock.

Andy

breakaway 01-14-2008 03:05 PM

I know your pain

I know your pain. We had a campground accident last year. First be sure to get a police report. Second contact your insurance company. You will need to get an estimate from an Airstream authorized service center; we took ours to the Airstream factory. You will need to partner with your insurance agent to get the financial part of this problem resolved. We insure our Home, Auto and Airstream with GMAC. Our Auto insurance covered the repair costs less our deduction. I have included a link to the thread from our accident so you can compare damage and costs. The repairs for our accident were over 10,000 dollars. The actual repair took five days and several windows had to be removed. I doubt we could have stayed in the trailer during the repairs.
The first few days after the accident were the worst. With the support from my family and the great people on this forum we are now able to laugh about that bad day last summer.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381/ouch-i-hit-33855.html#post427992

overlander63 01-14-2008 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakaway
The first few days after the accident were the worst. With the support from my family and the great people on this forum we are now able to laugh about that bad day last summer.

So, did you learn anything about campground office roofs, Grasshopper?:bb:

davidz71 01-14-2008 08:34 PM

Say it's not true Sue! I really like your trailer and it is in good shape. I'm sure you have contacted your insurance company as well as the other guys insurance company. Take your trailer to Inland RV and get an estimate of damages for repair. Hold your breath and hope that it does not pass the 75 % mark of the value or they might total it. I know you bought your trailer in great shape and would hate to part with it. After the estimate is given to you in writing, make a copy and send it to your insurance company. If the guys insurance does not cover what you think it should then turn it over to your company. They should work to get your deductible back as they work on his company. Hopefully they will cover motel costs while the repairs are being made.

Sue, I haven't heard from you in a long time and I hate that this has happened to you. Andy at Inland has a background in insurance so he knows all the ins and outs. I hope things work out for you.

davidz71 01-14-2008 09:04 PM

I hope someone in your area will be able to help you Sue. Forum members, Sue in one of the nicest people you will ever meet. I've had the pleasure of talking with her personally and sharing stories at several of our informal rallys in Georgia. Help her out if you can.

kposey 01-16-2008 11:19 AM

Sue, so sorry to hear of your troubles! Let us know how it goes with the repairs. Your friends in the southeast are thinking about you! (And missing you too!)

travelinsue 01-16-2008 10:10 PM

Oh my gosh, I am totally taken back by the messages that have been posted on this forum to me. You are such wonderful people to offer help to a stranger. Although Craig is not a stranger, enjoyed several rallys with him and Kathy. Had a blast.

Ok, the latest on this chapter of my life. First I was backed into so their insurance AAA of California is covering the damage. The appraiser came out today and took many pictures. He asked me what that stuff on the ground was and I had to explain to him it was the support bars for my awning. I knew then I was in trouble. There happened to be a AS parked next to me so I showed him their awning.
He tooks notes and I told him I had to have something to live in since there are times I am on call 24 hours here in the park so I can not go outside to live. Then I said I would like to have my AS transported to the repair shop since I was afraid of causing more damage in case I got tangled up with this wonder California traffic. He said all he could do was report to the adjuster and he/she would take over. His parting remark was he was going back to the office because this was more than he could handle. With that we shook hands and off he went. And off I went to eat something good and fattening to sooth my stress level.....laughing. Soooooooooo we shall see what happens next. Life definitely is an adventure, I just got my car back from the shop after it being there a month. I was parked in the Home Depot parking lot and while I was shopping some guy bounced around and struck three vehicles, one of which was my Burb. Took two weeks for his State Farm to even say he had enough libiality to repair all 3 cars. Crazy. Then additional damage was found in the shop and they had to wrangle for another week with State Farm to ok that repair. I had it 3 days then this happened.
Someone in the park said I needed a new rabbits foot, mine must be moth eaten. I agreed with him...lol

I did hear from Andy so I sure felt better.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and help.

Sue
travelinesue

davidz71 01-16-2008 10:31 PM

Hang in there Sue. Hopefully it will all work out.