Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/)
-   -   Airstream v SOB Towing Shoot Out video (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/airstream-v-sob-towing-shoot-out-video-37551.html)

gardenofjoy 11-10-2007 05:13 AM

Airstream v SOB Towing Shoot Out video

has anyone see this video comparing the AS and SOB side to side

MUST see!

MySpaceTV Videos: Airstream performance by Airstream Southwest Coaches

Jimarq 11-10-2007 05:23 AM

I had not seen that video. Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

boondockdad 11-10-2007 07:04 AM

whoa... i'm surprised they didn't have those rigs fitted with outriggers

Airhog1 11-10-2007 07:12 AM

Airstream came out with that video about 2 years ago and we have been playing it at RV show that we go to...it really makes an impact on those that watch it...

G

Silvertwinkie 11-10-2007 07:16 AM

I have seen this video before, and you really never really know how true it is until you've had to do one of those emergency manuvers.

I was going about 50 on the Interstate, and there was some construction going on. One lane was closed, it was the far right lane (of 3 lanes). The on ramp has about 3 LARGE signs that say yield, meaning cars entering the expressway must yield to moving traffic.

This clown blows off the yield, but then decided to yield by stopping on the active lane with cars moving at 55mph or faster. Two cars in front of me, lock their brakes, I have about 100 feet to make a manuver...left lane open, took the Suburban's wheel and yank it (carefully) to the left, the Suburban immediately wisks to the left, the Safari, followed it like it was on rails.

Had a fly been between the Safari and the cars I swerved around, it would have died from a lack of oxygen.

So I can attest that those manuvers they show are 110% accurate in terms of how the Airstream trails in these kinds of situations.

Ahab 11-10-2007 07:28 AM

Wow, 1st time I've seen it, but after towing other stuff and hooking up our new AS and going down the road I'm a believer.:)

azflycaster 11-10-2007 07:28 AM

I have also seen the video before and had an experience similar to Silvertwinkie. Mine was a close call will a 500 pound Elk in the middle of the night on AZ-260 near Showlow, AZ. I swerved after some hard breaking and passed the Elk at about 30 MPH in another lane. The Airstream followed me just like in the video.

Safari-Rick 11-10-2007 09:29 AM

Same here. I've had the experience of idots cutting me off.

AS did a video back in the 60's with somthing similar to this video.

Thanks for the info...

Safari-Rick

richinny 11-10-2007 09:54 AM

the SOB appears to be a bit lighter than that nice to tow Airstream.

markdoane 11-10-2007 10:10 AM

". . at the end of the day, there was no comparison. . "

I agree with the last line in the video. There was no comparison because they don't provide a link to a written report, explanation of test conditions (other than it was a clear, warm August day), or even show a side view of the sob/tow vehicle hitched up.

I'm a skeptic until I see a written report. To me it's just a cute marketing video.

TomR 11-10-2007 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markdoane
". . at the end of the day, there was no comparison. . "

I agree with the last line in the video. There was no comparison because they don't provide a link to a written report, explanation of test conditions (other than it was a clear, warm August day), or even show a side view of the sob/tow vehicle hitched up.

I'm a skeptic until I see a written report. To me it's just a cute marketing video.

I agree Mark...there is no info on the SOB. There are a lot of different axle chopices on SOBs that may or may not perform better.

It is however, a very interesting video...and I am confident it likely does apply somewhat across the board to SOBs.

BTW...notice how that is one of the short wheel base SUVs that are often disparaged? I know it has fairly high tow rating because of the high horsepower. Was that a 25' in the test?

Thanks...Tom R

boondockdad 11-10-2007 10:27 AM

in my 'offensive' driving school... i learned to stop first... never swerve... and i can certainly attest to my 2008 a/s brakes being more than adequate (can't say that for the '05 classic/electro-magnetic)

just last night i made an emergency stop, and almost gave myself a nose bleed.

TV+TT stops in half distance what TV alone does...

thecatsandi 11-10-2007 10:38 AM

Ok thats great for a small trailer. How about the larger ones? 27 and up.

2airishuman 11-10-2007 10:50 AM

old news is news again....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...sob-19729.html

leo took it apart frame by frame (he thinks):lol:

the videographer describes the basic set up and parameters...

but took the video links OFF this site after a few months.

i was in j/c WHEN they did these tests and made the tape...

and looked over the cayenne-z as they were made 'test ready'

no one was trying to pull any tricks. it is what it is.

we covered this thing last holiday season as well but the thread isn't as good as the 2005 version.

the cayenne is rated to approx 7200 lbs towing regardless of passenger payload.

it IS an ideal tv...

on a closed course oval or test track.

cheers
2air'