Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Windows & Screens (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454/)
-   -   Rear wrap windows - tinted (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454/rear-wrap-windows-tinted-36307.html)

Bambi_Bandit 09-24-2007 07:44 PM

Rear wrap windows - tinted

3 Attachment(s)
I hated how our 2008 27FB Intl Signature looked with the front wrap windows behind the tinted window guards, and the rear wrap windows looking "un-matched"... I wish they would put the window guards on the rear, but my understanding is that they thought it would catch "air resistance" and get damaged going down the highway?!?!

So, next best thing for us was to get the rear windows tinted. Here's a shot of before and after. (sorry - different angles)

The tinter was a great pro and did it with a ceramic tint that has no seam or distortion on the windows...

At the same time, we had the 2 vista view windows tinted as well, to match the windows on the side.

So, now my rig seems to have a more "balanced" look. What do you guys think?

Goin camping 09-24-2007 08:08 PM

I love the look and have considered it for the same reasons you had.

My question is does the tint affect your nighttime view out the windows?

nilesrob 09-24-2007 08:20 PM

Wow. We have our Ocean Breeze coming in a few weeks - I hadn't really noticed the look of the windows. Is the tinting as good functionally as it looks?

Gunnyusmc 09-24-2007 08:26 PM

Tint

I winter in Austin and would like the name of the PRO.

Don

Bambi_Bandit 09-24-2007 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nilesrob
Wow. We have our Ocean Breeze coming in a few weeks - I hadn't really noticed the look of the windows. Is the tinting as good functionally as it looks?

Hi Brad,

Yes, in the Texas sun I have found that traveling down the road is cooler. Also, with the rear wraps, there is no awning other than the center, so with the tint on the wraps, it helps keep the dinette area cooler as well.

Another benefit is privacy. (You have to put your face to it to look in from the outside).

Also makes for watching TV (factory location on the side of the fridge) better in direct sun too, without having to lower the shades...

Kevin

Bambi_Bandit 09-24-2007 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunnyusmc
I winter in Austin and would like the name of the PRO.

Don

Don, just sent you a PM.

nilesrob 09-24-2007 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
Hi Brad,

Yes, in the Texas sun I have found that traveling down the road is cooler. Also, with the rear wraps, there is no awning other than the center, so with the tint on the wraps, it helps keep the dinette area cooler as well.

Another benefit is privacy. (You have to put your face to it to look in from the outside).

Also makes for watching TV (factory location on the side of the fridge) better in direct sun too, without having to lower the shades...

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin. We'll have to consider the tinting. We are having Airstream install blinds by the dinette - we didn't like the new shades that must either be totally up or down - no in between. We shall see - cannot wait!

cosmotini 09-24-2007 10:04 PM

That looks great! I've considered having that done too. Is there a color/shade you found that matches the factory windows?

nilesrob 12-15-2007 06:13 PM

I've started my search for a good "tinter" in Atlanta for my rear AS windows. So far, no one has been willing to do the job because of the curve in the windows. I'll keep searching, but if anyone has any specific products (I've seen mention of Huper Optik Ceramic, Vista Harmony and Madico MAC) that they have experience or knowledge, that would be most helpful.

CanoeStream 12-15-2007 07:22 PM

I wonder if pursuit of tinting uniformity isn't lost on most impartial observers. I've got 3 sets of pano windows -- one on my '74 Argosy (perfectly clear, untinted! No longer available.) and two on my '06 Safari FB SE. As at the link, our newer Airstream pano windows are already tinted but not as dark as the rockguard sunglasses. Dark tinting pano windows might provide an extra cool :cool: factor to insiders. This may be less significant to nonmillionairstream owners. At least I'm not going to chase my tail on it.

cosmotini 12-15-2007 11:00 PM

Hi Bob,

It's probably an acquired appreciation ... like drinking scotch ... or eating lutefisk!

CanoeStream 12-16-2007 06:30 AM

Viking strong!

1 Attachment(s)
Lutefisk? Where's Norbert?? I'm just 9 days away from having my annual dosing. It helps young Vikings grow up strong ... and evidently with adequate spacing between their teeth.
Attachment 50967

Tinting the rear pano might overcome some of the fishbowl effect. Denny, would you also do the side windows over the couch?

overlander63 12-16-2007 07:09 AM

I noticed one question that was not answered. I tinted the windows of our trailer, and have noticed no major issues seeing outside at night. Of course, if you have the lights on, it would be the same effect as being outdoors during the day, tint works both ways.

JimGolden 12-16-2007 07:19 AM

My Avion has tinted wrap around windows in the rear bedroom. I like the effect. It's got a huge tinted picture window in the front living room too :brows:

I think your trailer looks sharp. I like the tint.