Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1959 - 1965 Ambassador (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f118/)
-   -   Any other 1961 Ambassador owners? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f118/any-other-1961-ambassador-owners-34705.html)

yukionna 07-31-2007 07:40 AM

Any other 1961 Ambassador owners?

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks to jcanavera, we now have an official folder in the Ambassador sub-forum for 1961 Ambassador trailers. Are there any other '61 Ambassador owners out there? Feel free to share information about your restoration work and photos of your trailer in this sub-forum.

We heard about our '61 trailer from a "little birdie" on the forum. We went and checked the trailer out in person and it was love at first sight! The trailer was used as a storage shed for the past 25+ years. It contained about 2,000 pounds of trash and debris so the trailer had sunk into the ground over the years. It took us two days to prep and remove the trailer. The trailer needs a lot of work but we are looking forward to it!

flyfshr 07-31-2007 07:45 AM

Congrats! Looks like you have a good candidate that you added to your fleet. How's the inside look? Judging from the photos, everything looks to be in place. How about some more pictures?

Brad
FF

Ken J 07-31-2007 12:03 PM

Cool - keep us posted on the progress with pictures.

Safari Tim 07-31-2007 01:25 PM

Looks like you have your worked cut out for you!

I have a 1960 Ambassador, not a '61 but close!

LHall 08-09-2007 10:58 PM

62 Ambassador here

Quote:

Originally Posted by yukionna
Thanks to jcanavera, we now have an official folder in the Ambassador sub-forum for 1961 Ambassador trailers. Are there any other '61 Ambassador owners out there? Feel free to share information about your restoration work and photos of your trailer in this sub-forum.

We heard about our '61 trailer from a "little birdie" on the forum. We went and checked the trailer out in person and it was love at first sight! The trailer was used as a storage shed for the past 25+ years. It contained about 2,000 pounds of trash and debris so the trailer had sunk into the ground over the years. It took us two days to prep and remove the trailer. The trailer needs a lot of work but we are looking forward to it!

Hello we just recently purchased a 1962 Ambassador, close to yours in age. Yours is the same configuration on the outside as ours. I have some pictures posted as well. I am curious about the spare tire bracked on the back bumper. Is that original or home made?

Overlander & Sea 08-10-2007 07:26 AM

What a great find! We have a '61 Overlander that was Ohio built. I'm there are many similarties between the two. We just replace the AC, which looks just like the one in your picture, and the orginal hot water heater, both were in working order. Can't wait to see the pictures of the interior.

yukionna 08-10-2007 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhall
Hello we just recently purchased a 1962 Ambassador, close to yours in age. Yours is the same configuration on the outside as ours. I have some pictures posted as well. I am curious about the spare tire bracked on the back bumper. Is that original or home made?

The spare tire on the back bumper looks to be home made as the rear license plate bracket was moved from the center to the left side to accommodate the spare tire. It is not a good practice to store the spare tire on the back bumper so we plan on removing it and locating it elsewhere up front. I also noticed that there isn't a rear storage compartment on this trailer.

yukionna 08-10-2007 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlander & Sea
What a great find! We have a '61 Overlander that was Ohio built. I'm there are many similarties between the two. We just replace the AC, which looks just like the one in your picture, and the orginal hot water heater, both were in working order. Can't wait to see the pictures of the interior.

I will post interior pictures shortly now that the trailer is cleaned out. There was 2,000 pounds of debris stored in the trailer that took us a few weeks to clear out. :blink:

Do you have any photos of your trailer you could post?

azflycaster 08-10-2007 08:29 AM

Quote:

The spare tire on the back bumper looks to be home made as the rear license plate bracket was moved from the center to the left side to accommodate the spare tire. It is not a good practice to store the spare tire on the back bumper so we plan on removing it and locating it elsewhere up front. I also noticed that there isn't a rear storage compartment on this trailer.

The 61 on the vintage photo site looks the same as you discribed.
http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...ides/air9b.jpg

yukionna 08-10-2007 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azflycaster
The 61 on the vintage photo site looks the same as you discribed.

On further investigation, I believe the vintage photo site has made a mistake -- that is a photo of a 1960 Ambassador. The serial number of that Ambassador posted to the 1961 Ambassador section of the website is: I 28 0 136 T, which identifies it as a 1960 Ambassador, not a 1961.

This is further verified when you look at the serial number format and ranges for the Ohio built 1960 and 1961 Ambassadors.

1960 serial range/format: 28 0 082 T to 28 0 195 T

1961 serial format: 28 1 NNN T

azflycaster 08-10-2007 10:56 AM

Quote:

On further investigation, I believe the vintage photo site has made a mistake -- that is a photo of a 1960 Ambassador. The serial number of that Ambassador posted to the 1961 Ambassador section of the website is: I 28 0 136 T, which identifies it as a 1960 Ambassador, not a 1961.

This is further verified when you look at the serial number format and ranges for the Ohio built 1960 and 1961 Ambassadors.

1960 serial range/format: 28 0 082 T to 28 0 195 T

1961 serial format: 28 1 NNN T

I think you are correct. I did not look at the VIN on that unit, but it does seem to be in the wrong section.

The setup in the rear does seem to match yours. I wonder if that was a popular modification done by the owners or was it an option from Airstream?

61Ambassador 07-30-2010 07:24 AM

1961 Ambassador Twin Land Yacht

4 Attachment(s)
Hi!

We just got a 1961 Ambassador Twin. It is in very good condition, but is missing the water pump, water heater, AC, stove, heater, and the tub was removed.

Work I want to do: get water pump installed, fix trailer brakes, build upper bunks above twin beds, get vintage awning, new tires, put electric mini-fridge where stove was (we cook outside over fire or electric griddle), AND I want to get that mirror shine!

I love this site! Great ideas and helpful hints!

LHall 08-03-2010 08:22 AM

That is a great looking Ambassador, glad to see another one on here. We have a 62 and absolutely love it. We have already put over 3000 miles on it this year. FYI unless it has been converted, your water pump is a Grover air compressor. Your trailer originally had a pressurized tank and water system. We are still using the original compressor and it works well. Feel free to let us know if you have any questions that we may be able to answer about your trailer.

Congrats on your find.

JW60 09-23-2010 07:47 PM

I have just bought my first "AS" a 1961 Ambassador at the ripe old age of 63. I would be proud to be a member of the Ambassador club, usally I am at the ambassador club at the airport when I am flying. :lol: I will post pic's when I get home with it this weekend. Congrats on yours.