Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Fresh Water Systems (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443/)
-   -   shurflo water pump, which one? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443/shurflo-water-pump-which-one-34281.html)

urbanfood 07-15-2007 11:39 PM

shurflo water pump, which one?

i'm looking into the shurflo water pumps.
the first one is the whisper king which puts out 2 gallons a minute SHURflo Whisper King Demand Fresh Water Pump - Camping World

the second is the classis pump at 2.8 gallons a minute SHURflo Fresh Water Pump - Camping World

third is one is the extreme series which puts out 5.7 gallons a minute Extreme Series Smart Sensor 5.7 Water Pump - Camping World

couple of questions;
1. is the whisper king that much quieter and is the less output a good trade off?
2. do i need an accumulator tank?

GreatPumpkin 07-16-2007 12:46 AM

I'm using the second option (Shurflo model 2088 12V 2.8gpm). It has worked great for us. I think I paid much less for it on eBay vs Campingworld.

Moonstruck 07-16-2007 02:56 AM

I would concur and bow to the superior knowledge of The Great Pumpkin! :)
2.8 GPM is quite enough where, in my opinion, it matters - a good shower!:)
Paid $ 160 for mine! :sad:
Marc

Ganglin 08-12-2007 08:23 PM

Has anyone purchased the Whisper King? Are you happy with it. Thanks...

overlander63 08-12-2007 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ganglin

We put one in our Argosy 20, it worked well for as long as we owned the trailer. AS far as I know, it is still working. 2.0 was enough for the little trailer, and as long as you aren't going to be using every faucet in the place at once, it should be fine for most users.

Janets Husband 08-12-2007 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ganglin

We have used the Whisper King for awhile, works pretty good although we don't use it for showers. Just purchased another for the new project, I liked the old one so much. This one will be used for showers, hope it works.

overlander63 08-12-2007 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
This one will be used for showers, hope it works.

It worked in ours for showers. With only a 30 gallon maximum for a water tank, I really didn't want a pump that could drain it in 6 minutes flat. We used the little flow restrictor nozzle to keep pressure up to a tolerable level.

Janets Husband 08-12-2007 08:59 PM

One other thing about the Whisper King it works at more than a whisper. At least on our composite aluminum floor. I plan on mounting the new one one a plate and then Isolating the plate from the floor. Double isolation should quiet the King down to a whisper.

davidz71 08-12-2007 09:02 PM

I have the Whisper King in my Sovereign and it seems like a quiet pump. If it ever goes bad I am looking at the Shurflow Smartsensor 4.0 as a replacement.

FreshAir 08-12-2007 09:12 PM

The Shurflow 2.8 serves us very well. Good steady showers and fast toilet flushes. You probably would get a good price at one of the many discount RV suppliers online. Watch the Camoing World sales, however, if you are not in a hurry. Actually the 2.8 isn't that expensive.

Neil and Lynn

krikles 08-12-2007 10:46 PM

It's (2.8) currently around $56 or so at ppl....
I got mine thu them and am very pleased.

JDL 08-13-2007 12:44 AM

I tried the 4.0 GPM Shurflow Extreme Series Smart Sensor 4.0 Water Pump.
It leaked internally and would not hold pressure. So I returned it.
I went pack to using the classic 2.8 GPM. No more problems with vibration as I put isolation loops in the lines. :rolleyes:

Ganglin 08-13-2007 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlander63
It worked in ours for showers. With only a 30 gallon maximum for a water tank, I really didn't want a pump that could drain it in 6 minutes flat.
That's what I was thinking also - even with 50 gallons. We finally tackled the fresh water tank, new clear feed lines and new exterior fill door that matches the original from 71. Hit the tank with clorox and filled her up. Ahh nice work - no leaks all is well - oops the pump won't build pressure. It probably hasn't been used in 10 years or more.

davidz71 08-13-2007 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDL
I tried the 4.0 GPM Shurflow Extreme Series Smart Sensor 4.0 Water Pump.
It leaked internally and would not hold pressure. So I returned it.
I went pack to using the classic 2.8 GPM. No more problems with vibration as I put isolation loops in the lines. :rolleyes:

Thanks JDL, I'll keep that in mind.