Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   On The Road... (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/)
-   -   Your Worst Road ? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/your-worst-road-34017.html)

henw 07-08-2007 10:20 AM

Your Worst Road ?

Stayed for a lovely week in the Mts of NC.
Drive up from Fla. included I -95 in South Carolina. This buckboard section of the interstate so beat my truck and trailer that I detoured an extra 100 miles going home just to avoid it. Boy, are they overdue in Rd maintenance.
What's you worst road?

Alumatube 07-08-2007 10:28 AM

Oh, geez, without a doubt the stretch of I-40 from Memphis to Little Rock. It will beat the HECK out of you, no matter what you are driving. It is a major truck route and Arkansas hasn't bothered to do anything with it.

There was an article on it in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette recently where the state acknowledged the issues with it and said it was on the list to get to soon, and they hadn't got to it before due to other priorities. We'll see.

As a secondary, the stretch of I-530 (in Arkansas between Little Rock and Pine Bluff) from Exit 24 about 8 miles north is horrible. Patched to within an inch of its life and really messed up, and they keep redoing little bits of it but it needs ripping out and total replacement.

Susan :)

BamCamper 07-08-2007 10:32 AM

The Al Can Highway!

The road to Alaska where they call baseball sized rocks in the road gravel.

Roadschooler 07-08-2007 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henw
Stayed for a lovely week in the Mts of NC.
Drive up from Fla. included I -95 in South Carolina. This buckboard section of the interstate so beat my truck and trailer that I detoured an extra 100 miles going home just to avoid it. Boy, are they overdue in Rd maintenance.
What's you worst road?

I'm curious where you stayed in mountains of NC. We live in the mountains of Western NC :D .

thecatsandi 07-08-2007 10:41 AM

CA hwy 17 from Monterey to Southern Bay. Bounced truck and trailer the whole way and that sucker is windy. I had to slow down well below posted speed and got nasty stares from people passing me.

CanoeStream 07-08-2007 10:57 AM

Tired concrete highways anywhere -- how it rises near the seams and gives a bucking tow experience. I have seen some hwy dept milling of these areas near the seams and it improves the experience immensely!

Actual highway? U.S. 50 in northeast West Virginia! Short sharp switchbacks up the grinding climbs will put any transmission cooler to the test!

Boondocker 07-08-2007 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alumatube
Oh, geez, without a doubt the stretch of I-40 from Memphis to Little Rock. It will beat the HECK out of you, no matter what you are driving. It is a major truck route and Arkansas hasn't bothered to do anything with it.
Susan :)

Thanks for the heads up! I was considering using that route. I am just as happy to miss it.

bobfowler 07-08-2007 12:11 PM

I-287 in NY, between I-684 and the Tappan Zee Bridge is tied with the Cross Bronx Expressway for worst in my book. YUCK!

Kistler 07-08-2007 12:18 PM

I-40 isn't good west of the Mississippi at spots......it is/has been a mess around Gallup for a couple of years. Lots of single lane stuff for bridge replacement.

Hwy 99 around Bakersfield seems to have seams just at the wrong spot for whatever rig I am driving; it was terrible in the MH and it is bad with my present tt and tv.

I believe it was the Eisenhower administration that got us some of the inter-state system AND it has been detiorating ever since :)

pmclemore 07-08-2007 12:25 PM

Between Richmond VA and Albuquerque NM, the worst in my opinion is OK City west about 30 miles. Talking about rolling thunder. Not an occasional bump, but hump hump hump. I could not find a speed at which I felt I was not doing real damage.

The Top of the World highway between Tok, AK and Dawson City YT is tough, but not as uncomfortable.

Pat

ZoominC6 07-08-2007 12:40 PM

Ditto I-40 Memphis to Little Rock

....and you might add I-20 East of "The Big Muddy" as well. Those expansion joints on a concrete highway again! :angry:

Sugarfoot 07-08-2007 02:04 PM

I-59 both north-and southbound between Gadsden, AL and Fort Payne, AL. It's 40 miles of old-fashioned washboard without mercy. The left lanes are slightly better than the right, and northbound slightly better than south, but it will shake out your rivets regardless.

codybear 07-08-2007 03:26 PM

California's hwy 80!!

Silvertwinkie 07-08-2007 03:29 PM

Really, most roads in Illinois are pretty bad unless the have been rebuilt in the past 2-3 years.

...but even when they are repaired, it's pretty much a parking lot anyway on nearly every Interstate in the Chicagoland area. ;) :D