Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Electronics & Connectivity (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317/)
-   -   iPhone review (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317/iphone-review-33892.html)

mistral blue 07-03-2007 09:45 PM

iPhone review

I haven't seen anyone here talking about their new iPhone.

Or maybe my search skills aren't up to snuff.

Surely someone on these forums got one, no?

Or are you all still too busy playing with it?

dpandorf 07-03-2007 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistral blue
I haven't seen anyone here talking about their new iPhone.

Or maybe my search skills aren't up to snuff.

Surely someone on these forums got one, no?

Or are you all still too busy playing with it?

Everyone was standing in line to hear the IBT Delegates meeting and missed the first wave of iPhone sales! :lol:

thecatsandi 07-03-2007 10:32 PM

Is it made of aluminum? Is it made by Airstream?
Cingular/ATT does not even have a store in Montana. Verizon has the best coverage out west. I sticking with my Treo 700.

uwe 07-03-2007 10:34 PM

I lost interest in it the moment I heard that it is only available for a single service provider. And that provider is not my first choice.

TinShack 07-03-2007 10:40 PM

I went to the Apple store in SLO and played with one for about 15 minutes. It was totally cool and easy to use...easier than expected. The display was primo. Excellent picture dispaly and video. I didn't try the phone though, but what the hey...a phones a phone...Is it worth the money? Not in my book...yet.

Stefrobrts 07-03-2007 11:42 PM

It's a little rich for my blood, but the idea of only having to carry one item in my pocket instead of a phone and an ipod is very tempting. Maybe the price will come down over time.

dudebb 07-04-2007 05:57 AM

Our sons review

Our son in San Diego has been waiting for them to come out since his contract was up a month or so back. He waited 2 days after release to go get one - no lines. He loves it. When he called (to tell us he put it on our credit card! :huh: - he's sending a check(??) - aren't kids great) the connection was better than any previous phones he has had. He's thrilled with it so far.
George:cool:

overlander63 07-04-2007 06:28 AM

We just renewed our contract for another two years, so I won't be running out and buying one. Maybe by then they will have the bugs worked out of them.

bradk 07-04-2007 06:59 AM

A friend of mine purchased two of them for ebay purposes. He couldn't help but open one and activate it though. He went through the features and doodads over iChat on Sunday with me. It's extremely cool...as cool as advertised from what I can see. The web, video, ipod, touchscreen interface is amazing. No doubt there will be bugs to work out of a brand new product but it appears the iPhone will come close to living up to the hype. I do beleive people will be scared away more by the cost of the plans than anything else once the initial frenzy dies down.

He offered the other one to me but being in Canada it would be an expensive, first revision paperweight. There's "currently no plans to release the iPhone in Canada" according to various sources but some have it pegged for Christmas or early 2008 release on the Rogers (GSM) network.

b.

RoadKingMoe 07-04-2007 07:00 AM

Duane (dpandorf) saved me the $500-$600 for one this weekend by calling me with the results of the MOHO vote when we had to leave Saturday for a weekend on the boat. Thanks, Duane.

I'd told Barb Friday evening when I was following the iPhone first sales, I didn't see any reason to buy one. She reminded me I could have web surfing and email out at anchor. I said, "Thanks, honey! Now I have a reason to buy one." She replied, "Me and my big mouth." When we had to leave Saturday while listening to the delegates meeting, she said, "if you had an iPhone, we could follow along in the truck." That's when I got the idea to ask in the chat room if anyone could call me with the results.

Yes, they're cool, but we get by with the little Nokia Cincinnati Bell/AT&T provided free when they switched us to GSM, and a grandfathered plan with less than their current minimum minutes. Heck, we're just now upgrading from dial-up to DSL and that's only because of the $10/month plan that was the result of the merger.

Silvertwinkie 07-04-2007 07:03 AM

Here is a guy that I know that bought one and went so far as to add a step by step of most of the exp (and pics):

http://web.mac.com/mjfuller/mattjfuller/mattjfuller.com_blog/Entries/2007/6/30_Day_of_the_iPhone.html

myoung 07-04-2007 07:10 AM

We will start our extended travels on July 20th and may live in our Airstream for 6+ months waiting for our new home to be built. We will definitely buy 1 or 2 iPhones. There is nothing remotely comparable. Having the internet on such a mobile device along with music, podcasts, calendar, phone, photos and more is just too compelling to pass up.

And, to those who say that they will wait until the bugs are fixed, all I can say is that you've been conditioned to believe that quality isn't likely in release 1 products. That's sad, and from all accounts is not true with the iPhone or frankly with any Apple product that I've used in years and years. If you are expecting perfection, then the wait will exceed your mortality. If you want superior products, stick with people who make quality and excellent customer experiences their first priority.

mistral blue 07-04-2007 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Here is a guy that I know that bought one and went so far as to add a step by step of most of the exp (and pics):

http://web.mac.com/mjfuller/mattjfuller/mattjfuller.com_blog/Entries/2007/6/30_Day_of_the_iPhone.html

Cool review. Just make sure you have a paperclip handy. ;)

Silvertwinkie 07-04-2007 07:15 AM

On reason I am holding off is until they get it on the new and faster AT&T network and get better sync ability with some of the groupware stuff out there. I agree it's a heck of a phone, and with a all Mac school district, it makes a heck of a lot of sense for work to replace the Black(and Blue)berry with these, but only if they play better in the buisness world. For an individual though, there are few reasons why not to jump on if you have the means.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistral blue
Cool review. Just make sure you have a paperclip handy. ;)

Would you expect anything eles? :D Matt is right, after the iMac, we've all had paper clips handy...a lot of us tech heads actually thought one day there would be an LL/A model number for an Apple iClip one day, from Apple. :D