Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Ribs, Skins & Rivets (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381/)
-   -   Ouch! I Hit It (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381/ouch-i-hit-it-33855.html)

breakaway 07-02-2007 06:09 PM

Ouch! I Hit It

7 Attachment(s)
Iím sick and embarrassed. No ones fault but my own. I canít believe I did it.
After finishing park registration, I pulled forward about two feet and did some major damage to the Excella. Three panels are damaged and the Zip Dee is smashed. The accident happened at 6 PM on Wednesday and on Friday morning I dropped the trailer off at Jackson Center for an estimate. The folks at Jackson Center are great. Airstream was closed for inventory on Friday but after talking to us on Thursday Chris told us to bring the Excella and he would start the estimate process. Soon we will find out the cost of this silly mistake.
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

thecatsandi 07-02-2007 06:15 PM

Ohhh so sorry. The factory will fix it right. They did a great job on mine, twice. My guess is going to be around $4,000.

53flyingcloud 07-02-2007 06:26 PM

I agree..

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Ohhh so sorry. The factory will fix it right. They did a great job on mine, twice. My guess is going to be around $4,000.

John,
THAT HURTS..I FEEL FOR YOU..

thecatsandi,
I'd be rather shocked if it turns out to be any lower as well.

Becky B. 07-02-2007 06:31 PM

I took out the corner of an apron at a gas station one time. It was with an old SOB, so it wasn't a big deal. We actually thought it was funny! Yours, however, isn't! I'm sure you felt sick to your stomach! Hope it gets repaired quickly for you.

overlander63 07-02-2007 07:05 PM

Ow is right. Are they making you pay for the roof on the registration booth as well? That would be adding insult to injury.

Silvertwinkie 07-02-2007 07:11 PM

Ouch is an understatement.

Sorry to hear about the accident. :(

47WeeWind 07-02-2007 07:22 PM

Avery poor design ...

That's a very poor design if that's in any kind of RV park. It's a trap for the unwary and unfriendly. The driveway coming and going should deflect the tow vehicle and trailer AWAY from the booth, not towards it. Instead, it appears designed to encourage tow vehicle to get as close as possible to the side windows in the booth for registration or check in, if that is what it is. If it is only decroative, then it should be removed for the benefit of customers. A bad design that changes customers into crushtomers. :(

Stefrobrts 07-02-2007 07:29 PM

Many condolences to you. One the bright side, I suddenly don't feel quite as bad about breaking my $200 window this weekend ;) What's with all the self-inflicted damage? Who will be next...

breakaway 07-02-2007 07:30 PM

The accident happened at Verona Beach State Park in NY. The NY Park Police wrote a report but I was not ticketed. It took a while to provide information and I have to admit I was afraid I would be ticketed. Both the Park Manager and the Police Officer could not have been nicer or more supportive. In today’s mail I received two NY accident forms that must be completed; I sure hope those don’t generate a fine!!!

overlander63 07-02-2007 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakaway
The accident happened at Verona Beach State Park in NY. The NY Park Police wrote a report but I was not ticketed. It took a while to provide information and I have to admit I was afraid I would be ticketed. Both the Park Manager and the Police Officer could not have been nicer or more supportive. In today’s mail I received two NY accident forms that must be completed; I sure hope those don’t generate a fine!!!

If they were going to ticket you, they would have done so on the spot. Any accident like yours that occurs off the road is generally not cited. No doubt, however, you will be getting a friendly note from your insurance company.

breakaway 07-02-2007 07:37 PM

Have you ever seen a camper’s registration using the passenger window? The accident was my fault, but one ORANGE cone would have save me a lot of grief.

overlander63 07-02-2007 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakaway
Have you ever seen a camperís registration using the passenger window? The accident was my fault, but one ORANGE cone would have save me a lot of grief.

I've seen more than a few fast food joints with passenger drive-throughs, but that is my first camping registration office.

wanderer1 07-02-2007 10:52 PM

Thats a VERY poor design having tt's pull to the left of the building.Vision of the trailer is very limited on the right side when towing (even with larger mirrors).I may have never said this on the forums, (different subject) but here is a tip from a trucker.When backing your trailer,ALWAYS back from the left (drivers) side when angled,even if ya have to drive around the block to get in a better position.NEVER back from the right (pass) side unless there is no other option.Truck drivers call backing from the right "blind siding" for good reason and we only do it if there is no other way.Backing (angled) from the left,you can also pop your head out of the window and/or open the tv door if ya need to see better.(just don't fall out :blink: when doing it though).....Brian

SilverToy 07-02-2007 11:17 PM

Actually.....

Actually....

Here on business... but still have the AS values as a basis.....

Got a KIA as a rental but still won't back ANYTHING without me/other support offering help with ANY backing I do....

The MIRRORS are TOO small compared to what I have on the TV.... UPgraded to Shefeneckers for THIS very reason!!!!
There is NO help I can rely on for assistance....

Saw a new 'story' on the Post Office not 'allowing' their carriers to do anothing but 'forward' motions on thier vehicles and this seemed wierd, but then the whole thing seemed more 'rational' when there was a following story about a carrier running a '3 year old' over in an 'inadvertant reversing' incident....

Guess that anything but 'forward' is something (even then there is ?) that can put you at risk of lawsuit... Hate to say it, but then there it is....!!!!!

All the best!

Axel
SilverToy