Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Title, VIN & Registration (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f352/)
-   -   Understanding Vin/serial numbers (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f352/understanding-vin-serial-numbers-33438.html)

apolaroid 06-19-2007 06:01 PM

Understanding Vin/serial numbers

Hello to all,
I am in search of information. I bought a wonderful small vintage Airstream back last year, only problem on it is not sure what model it is. I have a number from the door plate, and stamped on the hitch it reads 22TO198. Title says its a 1959, and there is a date stamp to match on the door plate for 59. Can anyone help on the model info. I took it to a vintage rally in Pensacola, but everyone was stumped, most thought it was a custom model. It is a land yacht, but has upgrades from the higher models. Close the the Flying Cloud, but somewhat different then floorplans I have come across

The next part on help is an older Airstream I am looking at in Florida, no tag or Title, but has a vin/serial number but the guy is not sure on the age. It is a Overlander with the following info on the door plate.

Airstream plate: 26TS S0668
Santa Fe Springs, CA

State of California
Dept of Industrial Relations
Division of Housing: M-4 S-0668 2512
DOH No. A-15131

The guy thought it was a 1967, but thats what he thought his father said it was before his death. His family had it for about 14 years on a hunting camp, but he does not know where his father got it from. It is rough and needs some TLC, but might be returned to the road with some help.
I am thinking of buying it from him and working out title problems, but need to figure out what year it is, can anyone help. Plus any ideas for FL on getting a new tittled issued.

Thanks,

Shawn

flyfshr 06-19-2007 07:06 PM

Hi Shawn and welcome to the forums. Maybe I can shead some light on the first trailer you mentioned since its morte in line with the timeframe mine was made. I can't help you with the other one. In reviewing vintageairstream.com's archive page, it looks like the numbering sequence would make it an Ohio built Caravanner. The 22 represents the length in feet, the 'T' stands for Twin beds and the 0198 is the sequential number made for that model year off the assembly line. Further confusing the issue often times, is the time of year the trrailer was originally sold and registered with DMV. Although possibly built in the spring, it may have not sold until the fall and was then originally registered as the following year. Pictures would really help clarify exactly what you have. We all love pictures.

Brad
FF

On edit: Meant to say CA built and not Ohio. Sorry.

Ganglin 06-19-2007 07:11 PM

Your first trailer appears to be a 59 Flying Cloud - California built.

The second has too many digits in the s/n - it should be more like 267S NNN.
Making it a 26 foot Overlander - 1967 - CA built also - NNN = s/n.

Vintage Airstream Photo Archives

Fyrzowt 06-19-2007 07:25 PM

Well - it was either built in Ohio...or California.:o

GreatPumpkin 06-19-2007 07:31 PM

Quote:

Airstream plate: 26TS S0668

Santa Fe Springs, CA

26 = Length (26' would be an Overlander)
T = Rear Bath Twins
SS0668 = Is within the serial range for a 1962 Overlander

The additional 4 numbers "6204" verify it is a 1962 built early in the production year.

CanoeStream 06-19-2007 07:44 PM

Hello Shawn -- and welcome to the Forums! You first post (and thread) create some fun detective work. This can become especially challenging based on numbers alone. Posting photos from several angles are always helpful. Length of trailer should be measured bumper to ball

Airstream was rather variable about VINs in the 1950s and early 1960s. Take a look at the company's guide -- pretty hit or miss: http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p...pre1980vin.pdf

You are asking about two different models. Here is an example of a '59 Custom that actually has the word custom on the nameplate. R.J. Dial's Vintage Airstream website will show some representative VINs for 1959 -- it tends to give serial production numbers that are assigned to different models. Look at 1958 and 1960 models too to see how VINs vary.

Let us know what you find out about the 2nd trailer!

Your Dept of Motor Vehicles can assist you on licensing an untitled trailer. Do this first so you can get statements you need from the current owner.

GreatPumpkin 06-19-2007 07:56 PM

The "T" in the VIN (in the format you listed) was exclusive to the California built models in '59.

While the 22' trailer had many names in '59 in Ohio, California built ones were strictly Flying Clouds - customized to just about any configuration you wanted.

apolaroid 06-19-2007 08:11 PM

I should add the 1959 has a whale tail bumper on it. Plus the Airstream Tag mentions California, so pretty sure where its from just not the model. In the front it has 2 beds one on each side, one pulls out to be a double bed the other more the size of a twin. It also has a rear bath. I will be posting some pictures on it soon.

The one I am thinking on buying has a rear bathroom with a double in the middle, and it also has a front booth area with what looks like pulls into 2 twins.

I also have a 1972 Tradewind, but its labeled, and has clear info, lol. I love its floorplan, but like the way my 59 is built better. Thats why I am looking at the 26 foot one from the 60's. My 72 Tradewind is from Ohio with a double bed in middle and rear bath.

flyfshr 06-19-2007 08:27 PM

I agree, '59's rock!! Looking forward to pictures.

Brad
FF

robert21 10-18-2007 02:55 PM

can some one help me with my vin number

hello i was wondering if anyone can help me decode my vin number for my 68 airstream the number is i308s602-2754 if anyone can pleas help me out with this thank you :)

CanoeStream 10-18-2007 03:08 PM

Hello robert21 -- I don't recognize that as an Airstream VIN at all. There are some exceptions but the VIN is on an Airstream plaque just in front of the door. It is also embossed in 5/8" to 3/4" numbers/letters on the steel front A-frame but that can be hard to find. Riveted plaques at the back end of an Airstream tend to be California registration numbers. Where are you seeing this number?

InsideOut 10-18-2007 04:52 PM

Looks like a standard VIN to me...

It's a CA made 1968 Sovereign - 30'long

1968 Sovereign 30'
Ohio | O(I) 30 8 J NNN
California | O(I) 30 8 S NNN
(5NN for double-bed layout)
(O prefix for Standard Landyacht options, I prefix for Int'l options)

I - International
30 - 30' Sovereign
8 - 1968
S - Santa Fe Springs (CA made)
602 - sequential number

Should look like one of these:

68Sovereign

Shari :flowers:

CanoeStream 10-18-2007 05:00 PM

Thanks for decoding that Shari! I didn't give it a side to side comparison with the examples.

Boondocker 10-18-2007 05:02 PM

I'm curious, just how many different formats has AS used in the Vin system?