Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Base Camp (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404/)
-   -   BaseCamp on the Poison Tour! (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404/basecamp-on-the-poison-tour-33076.html)

AirHeadRik 06-06-2007 10:22 AM

BaseCamp on the Poison Tour!

Hi Fello Streamers!

I'm Rikki, the original and still drummer for Poison. I have been on these forums for a couple of years now. I just sold my 1964 Bambi II and now own a 2006 Bambi/Safari 19". (Love it!)

Now, the reason I'm posting... I own a custom drum company called, "Rockett Drum Works", Rockett Drum Works, inc. . We are partnering with Airstream and converting a regular BaseCamp into a mobile drum workshop which will be towed behind my tour bus on the Poison tour. We also plan on filming the action for a pitch to the major networks for a reality show. (we have partnered with the producer's of Pimp My Ride).

Thought I'd share this exciting info and see if anyone thinks this is as cool of an idea as I do. I plan on a diary/blog and a video blog as well.

Thanks to Dave Winnick for helping me out on this one. Dave rocks!

Cheers,
Rikki

TIMEMACHINE 06-06-2007 10:40 AM

Great idea

Rikki,

We will look forward to watching your escapades.

How would you rate your "modern" Bambi versus your "vintage" Bambi?

John

enduroryda 06-06-2007 10:55 AM

Looking forward to that episode of "Pimp My Ride"! Should be pretty cool to customize the Basecamp. They do some pretty amazing stuff and my son and I love watching it.

You guys have a ton of dates listed for your tour. I'm sure you'll be turning heads with that Basecamp in tow...

Here's to having nothing but a good time with your new toys!!!

Goin camping 06-06-2007 11:18 AM

Great idea! Will we be seeing an AIR forums sticker on it during the show?

moosetags 06-06-2007 11:28 AM

I think that it's a great idea also. We need to see pictures when you get it set up. I would also like to set a trip journal on at least the maiden voyage. That's such a cool idea that Airstream needs to feature it on the website and advertising.

Alumatube 06-06-2007 11:35 AM

Dang, how cool is this!?! Airstream reaches out and touches everyone!

Rikki, how will you be setting up the Basecamp for a workshop? Will it be with a useable drum kit inside it, or more of a staging/equipment area? You can ask them to pimp you a big sunroof so you can toss your sticks up in the air while you're playing inside (ha ha).

This sounds very cool--please post the links to your blog when you get it going! And thanks for keeping such a fun band going! I enjoyed ya'll a lot in the 80's and 90's.

Susan :)

rjd 06-06-2007 11:37 AM

We expect to see you and your Airstream(s) at the next California Ralley! :-)

Minnie's Mate 06-06-2007 12:27 PM

Way cool. Can't wait to see the finished product and links to your blogs.

Silver Threads 06-06-2007 02:28 PM

Way too cool! :band: Not only have I been to one of your concerts and listen to you back in my wilder days, my oldest son still listen's to you guy's! Cant wait to see how you pimp the base camp! I think it is a great idea!! Maybe you can come to one of the rallies.

rseagle 06-06-2007 02:56 PM

Has your new album been released? Good luck with your Basecamp and the tour (no fist fights this year)!

soldiermedic 06-06-2007 03:43 PM

We're and American Band

It is very cool to have Rikki here on the forums. I grew up in garage band in high school playing great music from the 80's hair and glam metal bands, but most of all we aspired to play the music from Poison.

The band has had its ups and downs across the years. Brett and Pamela's tape, C.C. drug problems that appear to have been kicked, etc.

Truely enjoyed "Glitter 4your soul".

Any future solo albums in the works?

Steve

wanderer1 06-06-2007 10:55 PM

Rock on my brother!!!:clap: :clap: :bb: :lol: :band: :bounce: :dizzy: :punk: :w00t2: :shifty: :D :blink: . Now if ya guys would use a bunch of Airstream's instead of Prevost's,we'd have a he*l of a party! Would'nt be any thorns in them roses! Brian p.s. I'll be at the show when you guy's get here.

AirHeadRik 06-07-2007 08:04 AM

First off, thanks everyone for all your replies and enthusiasm. I am going to try and answer everything in one post as best as I can.

It's not a Pimp My Ride project. The producers of "Pimp My Ride", (John and Larry) are pitching a reality show to the networks based on my drum company, "Rockett Drum Works". The idea is to continue to build drums during down time on the tour. (which, almost everyday has down time). We have been filming the pitch over time here in the home shop in So. Cal.

We figure if we don't get too ambitious, we can actually churn out some kits and many snare drums from the mobile shop. Not sure how we are setting it up until I get my hands on the unit, (which is in a few days), but, the benches are removed and so is the cooktop. It's a pretty basic shell at this point. Red interior, etc. Some operations will have to be done outside, like using the router, or anything that throws out large amounts of saw dust.

At the end of the tour, we plan to do some conventions with the trailer so people can do a walk through and see how we make stuff.

We are thinking of doing a limited run of aluminum snare drums that capture the look of the Airstream with a special Rockett Drum Works/Airstream badge.

This is exciting stuff for me. The fact that Airstream is into this is just so damn cool!

Hamb7 06-07-2007 08:10 AM

Wow! What an exciting concept that is moving towards reality! Gongrats and good luck! We can't wait to see more!
Heather

ArtStream 06-07-2007 08:38 AM

The inevitable question arises?

Will the owners of the Rockett Drum Works/Airstream badged snare drum be allowed to join the WBCCI?

Where does that leave the owners of Gretsch and Ludwig snare drums?

Will this matter be taken up at the International?

Save Ginger!

Michael:smartass:

mandolindave 06-07-2007 09:40 AM

Base Camp, Base drum, Drum Camp

I was just in a Base Camp. It was a very cool toy, but basically a pimped
utility trailer. Absolutly great for Kayaks, ATV's , and motorcyles. It weighed as much as my 20 footer. The drum workshop is a way cool application. The downside would be that the smaller trailers are really hard to back up with out jack knifing.
My drummer has a much larger utility trailer customized with windows , doors and fans that he uses for onsite workshop when he does his carpentry gigs.( for way less money )

Minnie's Mate 06-07-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandolindave
My drummer has a much larger utility trailer customized with windows , doors and fans that he uses for onsite workshop when he does his carpentry gigs.( for way less money )

Uh, I don't think that's the point.

mojo 06-07-2007 05:36 PM

Sounds like a great adventure in the Base "Drum" Camp. I booked you guys back in your heydays opening for the Crue in Phoenix and Vegas @ the Alladin when I was with Evening Star Productions. Looking forward to reading your blogs.

Streamin 65 06-07-2007 08:33 PM

Dust collection

Hey Man!!!
Nice to see you and Poison are still alive and well! I'm really looking forward to seeing your new workshop on wheels. As a carpenter/cabinetmaker/woodworker I'd suggest looking into a dust collector for the rig if you are going to be doing much more than some small cuts. They are sooooooo much nicer than wading through piles of sawdust while you work, and the right set up can clear the air of the smaller unhealthy particles, especially the dust from MDF. Here's a link to a great site on dust collection Bill's Home Page click on dust collectors and cyclones and read away. I'm sure one could be built to fit into your Base Camp with some mods. Feel free to PM if you have any questions. Take care --dave

Anon 06-07-2007 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi's Dad
I'm Rikki, the original and still drummer for Poison. I have been on these forums for a couple of years now. I just sold my 1964 Bambi II and now own a 2006 Bambi/Safari 19". (Love it!)
Cheers,
Rikki

WOW! Now I know I am mainstream! When the drummer from a rock group that was popular when I was in my teens and twenties owns an Airstream I know I must have been onto something when I got my first one when I was 16! :cool:
Rock on, man. Me and the wife will be at your concert when you come to Detroit at the DTE Music Center!
Now I just have to find that old black Poison T-shirt. :huh: Gee, why does it look like a halter top now? :rolleyes:
I wonder if DTE will let me park the 25 footer in the limo parking?

soldiermedic 06-10-2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artstream
The inevitable question arises?

Will the owners of the Rockett Drum Works/Airstream badged snare drum be allowed to join the WBCCI?

Where does that leave the owners of Gretsch and Ludwig snare drums?

Will this matter be taken up at the International?

Save Ginger!

Michael:smartass:

Michael,

Let's not forget about those old Tama players, and especially Drum Workshop. I think the WBCCI will have to vote on the issue, and only allow the Airstream snare drums in, but not grandfather the predecessor drums.

C'est la vie.

Steve

AirHeadRik 06-15-2007 10:09 AM

Base Camp Has Landed!!!

Just received her! Looks great! we are working with "Mental Case" to make the interior benches.

Pics and blog forthcoming!

Rikki
(Somewhere in America in a tour bus)

at_wanderer 06-15-2007 10:47 AM

Orlando Show

I have a friend who is going to your Orlando show. He is a big fan of yours Rikki, being a drummer himself. He is wondering if the Base Camp will be ready and on tour for that show since it is coming up soon.

Brent

Airhog1 06-15-2007 11:32 AM

Hey Rikki,

Great idea...good look on your adventures!!!

G

AirHeadRik 06-21-2007 02:03 PM

Poison / Rockett DrumWorks Base Camp

http://www.airforums.com/attachments.../basecamp1.JPG

Silver Threads 06-21-2007 02:09 PM

Cool, do you still have the 64 Bambi also?

Alumatube 06-21-2007 02:12 PM

Looks awesome!

It looks like a mini version of your silver buses, how funny!

Susan :)

Airhog1 06-21-2007 03:55 PM

.....and the beat goes on.....

G

Anon 07-15-2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

Just received her! Looks great! we are working with "Mental Case" to make the interior benches.

Pics and blog forthcoming!

Rikki
(Somewhere in America in a tour bus)

Hey Rikki, are you going to allow people to tour it while you are, uh, on tour?
I would love to see what it looks like once you get it done!

scf31 07-15-2007 07:40 PM

Awesome set-up !!! backing it up could be tough!!!! even with a rear video! :cool:

craftsman 07-15-2007 08:01 PM

Super cool and can't wait to see and hear more about the Rockett/Airstream snare.

68 Overlander 07-15-2007 08:41 PM

Rikki,
I hate to age myself that much but I watched Poison and Ratt knock the house down in Newport News VA in 86 if I have my facts right and loved it. I just know my ears hurt afterwords and my buddy saying "what?" I think we called it the Ratt Poison tour.
Anyway, great idea to combine the classics. Good luck with your Drum company and I can tell you the Basecamp is pretty cool. My daughter wants one instead of a dorm when she goes to college in a couple years. I think she has been listening to 80s hair bands. That's a compliment Rikki I promice, good luck.

AirHeadRik 07-28-2007 12:45 PM

Update...

7/28/07 - The Base Camp rig has been getting nothing but compliments at every stop including truck stops. It has worked out well as both a motorcycle trailer and as our mobile drum building workshop. Dave Winnick came out to a couple of shows and is working with us on an Airstream/Rockett Drum Works snare drum. Wrapped in aluminum!!! Should be a monster.

I will post a link when I get the blog up and running. Anyone wanting to this up close, check poison_splash and see when we are in your area and then e-mail me at: rockett@rockettdrummworks and I'll see if we can co ordinate a time while we are in the road for ya to take a peek.

Cheers!

Rikki

soldiermedic 07-28-2007 12:52 PM

Rikki,

Looking forward to the St. louis date if the Army lets me off duty for it.

I hope everyone on tour is keeping up with Brett's new show "Rock of Love". I guess Tommy Lee did reality, Brett can too!

You gotta tell us...who winds it all?

Steve

AirHeadRik 07-28-2007 12:59 PM

St. Louis

Ahhh, we are filming a special for HD Net on that day. Will be pretty interesting.

Bret's show... I seriously don't know. he won't tell us! I swear!

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Rikki,

Looking forward to the St. louis date if the Army lets me off duty for it.

I hope everyone on tour is keeping up with Brett's new show "Rock of Love". I guess Tommy Lee did reality, Brett can too!

You gotta tell us...who winds it all?

Steve

soldiermedic 07-28-2007 01:10 PM

Will he tell you how many cows were harmed in the process of making his coat?

Just kidding.

POISON RULES!:band:

Jaxon 07-28-2007 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Michael, Let's not forget about those old Tama players, and especially Drum Workshop. I think the WBCCI will have to vote on the issue, and only allow the Airstream snare drums in, but not grandfather the predecessor drums.
Steve

Tama? DW? Gretsch and Ludwig? Jeeze y'all, suppose we'll throw in some Pearls, too, huh...? nothing beats Noble & Cooley... so sweet in the studio... so fine live... OMG, just what drums were invented to do... :cool:

Safari Tim 07-28-2007 07:08 PM

Hey Rikki,

Get in touch with me, I'd like to have you on the show.

tim@thevap.com

soldiermedic 07-28-2007 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Safari Tim
Hey Rikki,

Get in touch with me, I'd like to have you on the show.

tim@thevap.com

Could it be that a rock musician with two NEW Airstreams could change the VAP in demographic listeners?

Stay tuned.

Steve

rseagle 09-27-2007 02:45 PM

Rikki,

How was the Poison tour this summer and how did your new Basecamp perform? Any pix on how you used it for your drum works?

AirHeadRik 10-24-2007 09:43 AM

I regret to inform all of you that Airstream has asked for the Base Camp back. I was told budget cuts, revamping, ect, etc. I have no idea really. We were poised for some great PR.

It was fun having it out on the tour and I do hate to let it go. I could buy it from them at quite a discount, but it lacks the stove, fold down beds and a few other small things.

If anyone is interested it would be considerably cheapeer than a new one. My e-mail is: poisondrummer@mac.com

I'm quite bummed, but at least I got a Base Camp for 6 months that I took all over the country. I just hate that I spent money on the modifications and then had to let it go. But, boo hoo, I'll live. Still have my Bambi!

mandolindave 10-24-2007 10:16 AM

I don't know the details but...........

Does that sound like a flakey thing for Airstream to do?????????

soldiermedic 10-24-2007 12:41 PM

It sounds awefully flakey, but it is AIRSTREAM.

Can't imagine what they would do with a custom modded one that was made for Rikki, especially since the basecamp isn't doing very well on the market and could use the exposure.

Rikki...when's the new materiel coming out since Poisoned released"

Steve

rseagle 10-24-2007 02:49 PM

Rikki,

Sorry to hear about your Basecamp. :( Having a mobile drum shop was a good idea. Too bad that AS didn't go along with it. Have you considered getting an older used Airstream and gutting/modifying it for your business?

Hope you're well away from the fires out there.

RIstream'n 10-24-2007 06:35 PM

Just read the whole thread and it's pretty cool. Too bad it had to end Rikki. My 16 year old son is a drummer{he's pretty damn good} and was wondering are you selling kits? If so where can he check them out. I showed him this thread and he said "cool...who's Poison"? Man I'm getting old.......

AirHeadRik 10-27-2007 04:12 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed. But, hey, I had it for free for six months.

Poison is playing the roof of best Buy today. as for new material, I hope we discuss it tonight!

Best Buy Invite Link: :: GHIII - Invite Test ::

- Rikki

soldiermedic 10-28-2007 10:49 PM

Too bad I don't live close to LA.

As for Brett's reality of love show...at least he picked the right girl.

Steve

AirHeadRik 11-18-2007 09:50 PM

Sorry, just saw your question today!

Rockett Drum Works is at: rockettdrumworks.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIstream'n
Just read the whole thread and it's pretty cool. Too bad it had to end Rikki. My 16 year old son is a drummer{he's pretty damn good} and was wondering are you selling kits? If so where can he check them out. I showed him this thread and he said "cool...who's Poison"? Man I'm getting old.......

Pick 11-19-2007 05:43 AM

Sorry to hear about the Basecamp Rikki. My sister and brother-in-law are big fans of yours. They go to all the concerts close to Cleveland, Ohio.

RIstream'n 11-20-2007 07:36 PM

Quote:

Sorry, just saw your question today!

Rockett Drum Works is at: Rockett Drum Works, inc.

No problem, thanx;)

Sky 03-29-2008 07:49 AM

This isn't good news

FOXNews.com - Poison Drummer Rikki Rockett Arrested on Rape Warrant - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment

Minnie's Mate 03-31-2008 03:02 PM

September 23, 2007 is a long time to take to track down a famous drummer on something as serious as rape with no plans to extradite.

Jaxon 03-31-2008 04:28 PM

Played in a touring band years ago where the lead guitar player was accused of rape. Some sweet young thaing fell in love with him (he'd never met her nor even saw her at the gig) and followed us to the next town. She literally threw herself at him and wouldn't take "no" for an answer (not even a "h*** NO, leave me alone!"). She was NOT happy.

About 3, maybe 4 weeks later in some other town down the road, the police came in to a club we were playing at and arrested him! He got it all cleared up, took the rest of the week for her to admit nothing ever happened, not even a handshake. Fortunately also, there had been alot of people around us that night in question. Sure made us all think twice down the line...

Other times, casual encounters are mutual but sometimes, the hook is hoping you'll settle out of court to avoid bad publicity... hope in this case, it was one of those.

bertro 03-31-2008 04:52 PM

Sorry but I think there are other formats for this discussion, Like some of the less read rags. Give the man his privacy to deal with these claims.

Minnie's Mate 04-01-2008 12:15 PM

I agree. It just doesn't seem logical timing to me.

rseagle 07-02-2008 02:52 PM

Rikki Rockett Cleared of Rape

I just read that our fellow Airstreamer, Rikki Rockett was cleared of rape charges. Appearently a look-alike did the dirty deed. Rikki wasn't even in the state at the time. He was with his fiance picking out a wedding dress. Good news for him and Poison as they start their 2008 tour.:band:

Good Luck with the tour and your wedding!:D

soldiermedic 07-02-2008 03:13 PM

AWESOME NEWS!!!:punk::punk::punk::punk:

ROCK OUT RIKKI!!!!!:punk::punk::band:

overlander63 07-02-2008 03:41 PM

IIRC, Poison will be at the Ford Ampitheatre at the Tampa Fairgrounds sometime very soon...