Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Doors & Locks (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453/)
-   -   Mystery Finds (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453/mystery-finds-30624.html)

SwampBillies 03-04-2007 10:51 PM

Mystery Finds

I have recently discovered two items on my 72 Sovereign that I cannot figure out. One is a button inside the front door frame. It pushes in just like a button on a car door frame to turn of the interior lights when the door closes. What is this button for on the Airstream?
The second is a lock in the side of the trailer behind the front door. It is not located in any kind of access door. Just a round lock cylinder in the side of the trailer. The keys that fit the access panels fit it and it turns. But what does it lock or unlock???

pamelake 03-04-2007 11:06 PM

Hmmm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWAMPBILLIES
I have recently discovered two items on my 72 Sovereign that I cannot figure out. One is a button inside the front door frame. It pushes in just like a button on a car door frame to turn of the interior lights when the door closes. What is this button for on the Airstream?
The second is a lock in the side of the trailer behind the front door. It is not located in any kind of access door. Just a round lock cylinder in the side of the trailer. The keys that fit the access panels fit it and it turns. But what does it lock or unlock???

I have a similar lock on the outside of my '74 Tradewind. When I removed the fridge I was able to see it was connected to wires on the inside and the keyed lock worked like an on/off switch. These wires were connected to an alarm under the steps. I thought it was unique and that the PO had installed it? Could it be something like this? Pam

SwampBillies 03-04-2007 11:09 PM

My fridge is on the opposite side of the trailer. I tried to look inside to see if I could tell where it went to but it is behind a cabinet. I never looked under the steps for an alarm. Hmmmm ...Does your alarm work? How do I see if thats what it is?

pamelake 03-04-2007 11:24 PM

I can see the alarm...horn? under trailer, right behind the steps. I can see it without climbing under the trailer. And no, it doesn't work. I don't think I had a key for it and I have since taken the wires out. Let us know what you eventually find. Pam

SwampBillies 03-04-2007 11:28 PM

I am hoping the good folks here on the forum will have some input. Maybe we can both learn something!

SwampBillies 03-05-2007 07:48 PM

does anyone else have these items on their trailers? Does anyone know what they are?

Fyrzowt 03-05-2007 08:01 PM

Nothing like that on my '72 GT

SwampBillies 07-05-2007 09:12 AM

I was really hoping someone would have a clue as to what these things are....mysteries torment me until I find an answer

Ganglin 07-05-2007 09:32 AM

My guess is the lock is an alarm as mentioned. The button would be the activator switch that triggers the alarm when it is armed.

But, that's just my WAG.

valvestem 07-05-2007 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWAMPBILLIES

I was thinking the button switch maybe a control for some motorized steps. And the lock switch is a safeguard against activating the motorized steps while in motion.

craftsman 07-05-2007 09:54 AM

I would bet the lock is to arm the alarm and the button completes the contact and sounds the alarm when the doors is opened. It should be tied in to a hot wire somewhere, maybe the battery.