Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   General Repair Forum (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   What's in your Airstream toolbox? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/whats-in-your-airstream-toolbox-30378.html)

yukionna 02-24-2007 07:26 AM

What's in your Airstream toolbox?

What tools and related supplies do you pack when you go camping for Airstream or tow vehicle emergencies or repair work?

Some things we never leave home without are:
  • duct tape
  • wire ties
  • socket set
  • hammer
  • pliers
  • wheel jack
  • lug nut remover
  • flashlight
  • small pry bar
  • screwdrivers

azflycaster 02-24-2007 07:32 AM

Also:
  • vise grips
  • multi meter
  • channel locks
  • swiss army knife
  • rope

overlander63 02-24-2007 08:03 AM

WD40
rivets and rivet gun

markdoane 02-24-2007 08:35 AM

Also:
  • sidecutters
  • electrical tape
  • two small hose clamps
  • small roll putty
  • 5 min epoxy
  • crescent wrench
  • flare nut wrenches
  • rags
  • hand cleaner

AYRSTRM2 02-24-2007 09:13 AM

I found that for fast secure belly pan fixes on the road, stainless steel pan head screws do the job, so I take several sizes with me, in addition to much of the above, and my cordless drill.

RangerJay 02-24-2007 10:10 AM

In addition to most of what has already been mentioned (what’s a channel lock remover?) my “travel kit” also includes a number of other spare parts and maintenance items.

- spare set of bulbs
- spare set of fuses
- graphite spray
- silicone spray
- electronic contact cleaner spray
- spare hose/faucet washers
- 12 volt air compressor
- tow rope
- wheel bearing grease
- Teflon grease
- spray bomb flat tire inflater
- tube of di-electric grease
- tube of battery terminal grease
- tire pressure gauge
- spare hot water tank plug
- battery terminal cleaner
- spare hitch pin/lock key
- spare Hensley kit (just got the Hensley)
- 1 bottle jack
- 1 axle stand
- 1 high density foam type mattress pad
- 12 volt trouble light
- 4-way wheel wrench
- torque wrench
- CD – the best of Willie Nelson

When I look at the list it seems kinda long – but it packs to be pretty compact – and – with the exception of the bottle jack – there is not a lot of weight. There is nothing on the list that hasn’t seen good use – if not by me – then by a neighbour.

Jay

Silvertwinkie 02-24-2007 10:12 AM

Torque wrench is a must have as are fuses along with most of what's been said here. :)

enduroryda 02-24-2007 10:43 AM

-Zip Ties

azflycaster 02-24-2007 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerJay
-
CD – the best of Willie Nelson

Jay

Which includes "On the Road Again"?:brows:

Wabbiteer 02-24-2007 11:46 AM

The first item into my AS tool kit was a kit box of three semi-rig emergency reflector triangles, the kind w/ cast iron inserts to keep trucks from blowing them down... ($8 at Northern Tools outlet store in Hudson Wiscosin) I know they are kind of heavy to carry around, I'm thinking if I don't get run over trying to place them correctly they might save someone else grief when Murphy's Law is richly rewarding me when old Murphy has got me playing on the road again...

RangerJay 02-24-2007 12:23 PM

Quote:

Which includes "On the Road Again"?:brows:
... kind of our motoring anthem ...

Jay

yukionna 02-24-2007 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerJay

When I look at the list it seems kinda long – but it packs to be pretty compact – and – with the exception of the bottle jack – there is not a lot of weight.

I just finished building custom partitions, shelving and a tool box in the back of my truck under the cap using the pre-formed slots in the bed liner. The whole thing is made of two by fours and two by sixes which slide into the bed liner grooves. I got tired of all the camping gear piled on top of each other in disorganized heap which only got worse during the duration of the camping trip. I even have a custom space with a hinged lid near the tailgate in an easy to reach location to hold the hitch, grease, and weight distribution bars. Everything is easily removed if I need the space to carry furniture or something else that is large and warrants the removal of the partitions.

yukionna 02-24-2007 08:19 PM

I just thought of something else we always pack -- a roll of velcro or, to use the proper parlance, "hook and loop"! ;)

And a pair of scissors.

myboyburt 02-24-2007 08:21 PM

I pack Leon. :D

safari57 02-24-2007 08:25 PM

The "must have's" in my tool kits
  • WD40
  • Duct Tape
  • Silicone
  • Vise grips
  • tie/zip straps
  • multimeter
  • fuses
  • spare bulbs (mostly 1157's)
  • strong flashlight (with good batteries)
  • torque wrench
  • Propone bottle wrench
  • hand cleaner
  • rubber gloves
  • throw away rags
  • pad to kneel on - very small tarp to lay on
  • cell phone and CAA/AAA 1-800 number:D
Barry

yukionna 02-24-2007 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboyburt
I pack Leon. :D

I hear ya! I have to say I really missed having Brian around this weekend when I was running around looking for the car transport U-Haul it and then later once I found the trailer and couldn't figure out how to hook it up! I can hook up my Airstream with no problems but I couldn't figure out the car transport hitch (and neither could the U-Haul it guy)!

Lumatic 02-24-2007 08:28 PM

hand crank for electric jack

WayWard Wind 02-24-2007 08:32 PM

Most of the above. We've been on the road for the last 4 months,so when we go the "distance", I pack the Honda and of course always the Mr. Turbo. At the present time we're located at the NTAC A/S park in Hillsboro. Great place.
Best,

Babeebloos 02-24-2007 11:09 PM

I want a 'Leon'....does this model come with all the tools?

ROBERTSUNRUS 02-25-2007 12:32 AM

:) Hi, I bring almost everything mentioned above plus a few really good credit cards. I keep most of my tools in the tow vehicle.

Note: My wife brings me too; And I came with tools too, but my wife won't let me bring them all on Airstream trips. I would have to have a Box Van for a tow vehicle to bring all of my tools. So I do all my fix'n at home.