Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Audio, Video & TV (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450/)
-   -   Can LCD Monitor/TV Take a Freeze? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450/can-lcd-monitor-tv-take-a-freeze-27782.html)

wheel interested 11-11-2006 11:54 PM

Can LCD Monitor/TV Take a Freeze?

Has anyone been leaving their LCD monitor in their unheated Airstream in freezing temperatures and below? We took ours out but my friend is leaving hers in. Are we being too cautious? I would rather it was there ready for use.

CanoeStream 11-12-2006 05:42 AM

Curious question -- but worth asking!
http://hardware.mcse.ms/archive144-2005-10-247970.html
http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages/flat_panel.htm
http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-240672.html

These seem to say an LCD can be stored in cold but need to be at warmer temperatures to actually function. LCD displays in our cars, bike computers, and GPS are exposed to cold. I know that the LCD in my previous tow vehicle did not display below -10 degrees F. I don't know that I'd risk it with a more complex TV if it was easy to remove. Let somebody else do the experimenting -- and maybe we'll get answers from those that have. But the best answers will come from those also exposed to 10- and 20-below weather.

dwightdi 11-12-2006 06:49 AM

Seems like the manufacturers have likely check this out and have documentation on their particular sets. There usually is a free 800 number for customer service in the documentation. I think you should call it because not all sets are designed the same.

Craftsman 11-12-2006 07:12 AM

Carol, I leave a small oil filled heater on all winter in the 25' that I recently sold and now my new one. The kind that looks lake a small radiator.Completly sealed , no flame ,nothing to overheat and even in the coldest weather it never freezes.
Jack

Chaplain Kent 11-12-2006 07:28 AM

Error on the safe side, take it out.

rickandsandi 11-12-2006 07:42 AM

Carol-
Greeting from New Ennland. I have never heard of needing to keep LCD screens from freezing. Very strange and I never would have thought of it. There is no "liquid" to freeze in the unit, it's electronic. We leave our in the unit with never a problem. I would be more concerned with disconnecting it, unbolting it, storing it and then reversing the process in the spring. Even the dealers up here leave all the parts in the AS during winter. So make your winterizing a little easier and leave your LCD right where it is.

Happy camping!

ZoominC6 11-12-2006 09:00 AM

We leave both LCD units in our Airstream in sub-freezing conditions and to date have not experienced problems.

Antique Pedaler 11-12-2006 10:27 AM

Ours has been out in the cold for the past three winters....not a problem.
It gets to minus 20 around here.

jimmickle 11-12-2006 11:50 AM

The maker of my Sharp says don't let it freeze, so I didn't.

ROBERTSUNRUS 11-12-2006 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Carol-
Greeting from New Ennland. I have never heard of needing to keep LCD screens from freezing. Very strange and I never would have thought of it. There is no "liquid" to freeze in the unit, it's electronic. We leave our in the unit with never a problem. I would be more concerned with disconnecting it, unbolting it, storing it and then reversing the process in the spring. Even the dealers up here leave all the parts in the AS during winter. So make your winterizing a little easier and leave your LCD right where it is.

Happy camping!

:) Hi, correct me if I'm wrong; LCD stands for "Liquid Crystal Display" Thus there is liquid involved.

:) :) Bob:) :)

overlander63 11-12-2006 07:57 PM

The instructions for our Sylvania LCD TV specifically don't say anything about it. They do say to avoid heat, but do not say to avoid cold.

2airishuman 11-12-2006 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
:) Hi, correct me if I'm wrong; LCD stands for "Liquid Crystal Display" Thus there is liquid involved.

you aren't serious are ya bob?

the 'liquid' word refers to the liquidity of the display...as in fluid motion.

the crystals are suspended and behave in a fluid/liquid fashion rapidly changing orientation...

but there isn't any fluid in an lcd...good grief.

have ya check your blinker fluid lately?

anyway carol the sony manual states specifically what the operating temperature range is and what the safe storing temp is.....so just look it up.

i've routinely left mine in the trailer down to 10 degrees....

but operating temp is higher, so warm the trailer before using it....

a greater issue than the lcd is that at these very cold temps and very low humidity the goop that holds all the circuits together will dry out and retract....

so really really cold isn't good for long shelf life...

cheers
2air'

also i forget to mention the wega sony we've got has been discontinued? like all electronics models move on...

sony does have some models in the 'bravia' line that with wider operating ranges ....like minus 15 degrees F up to 185 degrees F...

i'm not watching tv at these temperatures regardless...

Fyrzowt 11-12-2006 08:20 PM

Quote:

you aren't serious are ya bob?

the 'liquid' word refers to the liquidity of the display...as in fluid motion.

the crystals are suspended and behave in a fluid/liquid fashion rapidly changing orientation...

but there isn't any fluid in an lcd...good grief.

have ya check your blinker fluid lately?

Easy 2air, not having knowlege about some technical area is no crime....is it?
Checked your blinker fluid? You usually write good posts, but you may be off on this one.

ROBERTSUNRUS 11-12-2006 08:22 PM

:) Hi, No 2air I didn't know; That's why I said "correct me if I'm wrong." No I have not checked my blinker fluid! Have you ever repaired Sure Track Brakes? Or have you ever worked on Hydrolic Wiper motors? Have you ever used Friction Modifier? Do you know what very common part used on vertually every American car dateing clear back into the fifties has a metric measurement?