Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1956 - 1959 Flying Cloud (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f411/)
-   -   Boy Oh Boy! my new '56 Flying Cloud! (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f411/boy-oh-boy-my-new-56-flying-cloud-27533.html)

urbanfood 04-22-2007 01:51 PM

hi don, barry, et all,

i wish i had an update for you but i don't. i haven't done much to it since february. now i'm in the process of killing the grass where my FC sits.

my time has been occupied between my business, my house under construction, and my 8 1/2 month old, oh and my wife. i'm gonna start working on the FC soon.

thanks for your continued interest :)

safari57 04-22-2007 09:45 PM

Hey David

Life happens. You have the trailer and that's the biggest thing. As long as you don't lose interest or that it becomes more of a burden/work project than a fun thing to do you are okay. It's when we set deadlines that suddenly loom and we feel obligated to meet that projects get sold off unfinished, or if they become more work or expensive than was originally budgeted.

Take your time, have fun doing it, grass grows back as my lawn mower can attest too, and in the end you'll be happy with your FC.

If you need pictures or a sanity check don't hesitate to ask. We've all enjoy watching the projects progress and get worried when one seems to going silent.

Barry

urbanfood 07-12-2007 07:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's my thought about tank locations.

i have a question about the waste lines running under the frame. the main members are 4" deep. i figure i have to run the 3" waste lines underneath giving me 7" down from the top of the frame. it seems like that would be getting close to the ground. i purposely kept the tanks at 5"& 6" deep to minimize things hanging below the 4" main frame, but maybe i don't have to since the waste lines need to run under the main frame.

if i remember right, my belly pan was attached to the underside of the 4" frame. so because i'm adding the tanks, does that mean my bellypan will drop 3 or 4 inches? i feel like i'm getting low. how do the new airstreams accomplish this? and how do the old ones that have been retrofitted with tanks do this?

Attachment 41092

urbanfood 08-16-2007 04:14 PM

i've decided to bite the bullet and call in some help to get this thing moving along. with my busy schedule my dream of being able to do all this axle stuff myself has fallen by the wayside. i've had the shell off since february and not much has happened since.

i went out to inland rv yesterday and met with greg. i'm going to tow the frame out there and have him put on a henschen axle, fix the A coupler on the front of the trailer and the really exciting thing; i'm going to have him put on the kodiak disc brake system. this whole thing will be pricey but in the long run will be worth it.

i've also ordered the marathon goodyear tires (yes i've read all the threads but i still decided to go with them) Compare Tire Search Results

and ordered steel rims and baby moon hubcaps Steel Trailer Wheels .

this is going to be a big step for me and a big hurdle. i'm breaking thru the analysis paralysis thing.

urbanfood 08-16-2007 04:52 PM

6 Attachment(s)
also, here's some before and after pics of my house that's been my biggest excuse for not working on the airstream

before Attachment 43389 after Attachment 43391
before Attachment 43390 after Attachment 43392
master Attachment 43394 living room Attachment 43393

Jim & Susan 08-16-2007 07:12 PM

Hey, the house looks great! If the Airstream come out that nice, you'll be in great shape.

Jim

krikles 08-16-2007 07:17 PM

Looks like a page out of DWELL mag - super cool! Love the new horizontal fencing...

3Ms75Argosy 08-16-2007 07:45 PM

Great job! I love the clean modern look inside - awesome job!
Marc

Alumatube 08-16-2007 08:33 PM

Wow -- your house is beautiful! NICE work!

Please be sure to get some pictures of your frame hooked up to tow! That will be funny to see. :)

Thanks!
Susan :)

Safari-Rick 08-16-2007 11:36 PM

WOW! is all I can say for a man who can truly "multi-task".

R
Safari-Rick

sequoiacoast 08-17-2007 09:17 AM

Well, that IS a good excuse! Your house is unbelievable, I can't wait to see your Airstream!

A-Merry-Can 08-17-2007 11:41 AM

It might be easier at this point to put wheels on the house.... based on the comments so far!

;-)

jp

urbanfood 08-18-2007 08:16 PM

thanks for the kudos all! i wasn't fishing but heck i'll take it :)

so i went down to southwest coaches today in irvine to check out the airstreams. it was very cool.it's this huge rv lot that is kind of like a campground loop. they have several rv dealers in the loop and all kinds of SOB, toy haulers, etc.

we checked out the basecamp which was really cool. we probably spent a couple of hours going in and out of the different models. one of the salesman there, dave was very helpful. i told him straight up that i'm restoring a 56 flying cloud and was here to get ideas. he was very nice to my wife and child and still gave us the tour. very friendly place.

the rear entry safaris were pretty cool. our favorites were the international CCDs with the aluminum interior. that's what i've been wanting to do in my FC all along but this is the first time i've seen it in person and it was really cool. i really liked a bambi i saw there that had darker wood/aluminum interior and it looked really rich/cool/modern. i would think the dark colors would make it feel smaller inside but it really didn't. that's the way i'm going to go with the FC.

i'm sure i'll be making some more trips down there as this process moves along.

safari57 08-19-2007 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanfood
thanks for the kudos all! i wasn't fishing but heck I'll take it :)

so i went down to southwest coaches today in irvine to check out the airstreams. it was very cool.it's this huge rv lot that is kind of like a campground loop. they have several rv dealers in the loop and all kinds of SOB, toy haulers, etc.

we checked out the basecamp which was really cool. we probably spent a couple of hours going in and out of the different models. one of the salesman there, dave was very helpful. i told him straight up that i'm restoring a 56 flying cloud and was here to get ideas. he was very nice to my wife and child and still gave us the tour. very friendly place.

the rear entry safaris were pretty cool. our favorites were the international CCDs with the aluminum interior. that's what i've been wanting to do in my FC all along but this is the first time i've seen it in person and it was really cool. i really liked a bambi i saw there that had darker wood/aluminum interior and it looked really rich/cool/modern. i would think the dark colors would make it feel smaller inside but it really didn't. that's the way i'm going to go with the FC.

i'm sure i'll be making some more trips down there as this process moves along.

David

It can be extremely dangerous going to look at new and newer Airstreams while part way through a total vintage restoration. One can easily see a new(er) one finding it's way home and the restoration becoming a longer term project. NOT that there is anything wrong with that if it makes sense for your family to get out and camping now versus later - but it is a situation virtually every Airstream salesperson is aware of - you are already convinced that Airstream is the marque of choice, and having 2 or more is quite common.

I also prefer the darker colors. It brings back memories of staying in very old log cabins at Moraine Lake with my uncle as a kid. When I think of being outdoors that's what immediately comes to my mind.

The house is outstanding. I'm sure the neighbors are amazed at how you have transformed it, and it has clearly added value to the whole street.

Barry