Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1956 - 1959 Flying Cloud (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f411/)
-   -   Boy Oh Boy! my new '56 Flying Cloud! (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f411/boy-oh-boy-my-new-56-flying-cloud-27533.html)

NorCal Bambi 04-14-2008 07:00 PM

urbanfood, The pad was done in one week working about 3 hours in the morning and another 3 hours in the evenings. It was done for one of the SketchUp 3d challenges. They have a new one each week. There is a learning curve in the beginning but it's nothing like other 3d programs I've worked with. I found it's great to work with in the winter when the garage is too cold! There are lots of tutorials on you tube and on google blogs. I be glad to give you some assistance when you have time to work on it.
I'm really enjoying the work and progress on your trailer. Thanks for sharing your work.
Don

TuckerT 04-20-2008 10:45 AM

If anyone is looking right now, what might be a fair purchase price for a 1956 Flying Cloud Airstream trailer 22'. I may be able to buy one soon. TuckerT

69Stream 04-20-2008 06:47 PM

Exciting to be able to buy soon. I'd check the Trailer Value guide sticky on the Dollars & Cents part of the board. Here's a link to the post.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349...des-19206.html

urbanfood 05-25-2008 01:52 PM

hi all,

i don't have much of an update, but i have been able to start walking since last week with the aid of crutches and only putting a small amount of weight on my right foot. i also started physical therapy. i should be walking on my own in a couple of weeks.

barry, it was my right foot as well, so my wife has been chauferring me for the last 6 weeks AND she's 8 months pregnant so you can imagine how much she has enjoyed that.

for those that have been looking at my latest tank supporting diagrams, i called george at icon tech and the abs tanks are made in two pieces, the flat top piece and the tank itself. he said they should be strong enough to be able to hang by the flange only, but he did recommend strapping of some sort underneath for the larger tanks (which i agree and will do).

my last drawing showed the metal angle supporting the tank being welded on one side and bolted on the other side of the tank. i'm actually going to bolt on both sides which will allow for easier tank removal and also be able to support the metal strapping and attaching it to the bolts on both sides. it also means only welding the crossmembers as the anlges will be thru bolted. it should work sweet. hopefully i'll have some pics to post in the next few weeks.

Pariscope 05-26-2008 12:52 PM

Flying Cloud
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TuckerT
If anyone is looking right now, what might be a fair purchase price for a 1956 Flying Cloud Airstream trailer 22'. I may be able to buy one soon. TuckerT

Hey Tucker, could you tell me more about the trailer and what you plan to do?

urbanfood 08-22-2008 10:03 PM

i have an update!
 
10 Attachment(s)
it's been awhile since my last update. i've been recovering from achilles tendon surgery and had a new baby boy on july 1 so needless to say.....

one of the best things i ever did on this project was buy this hobart mig welder (i took a class last winter) and it is so cool. i've spent hours on welding the frame and making minor repairs. definatley saved on the cost of hiring a welder plus i'm able to get the things exactly as i want them. i've also included a picture of my harbor freight bandsaw, having the right tools make all the difference;

Attachment 66040 Attachment 66041

you can see the cross member and the angles i've bolted on. the angles can be removed to drop the tanks;
Attachment 66042 Attachment 66043

a welding shot of the new crossmember;
Attachment 66044

the new black and grey tanks fit like a glove. they only hang down a few inches. i'll also use some strapping for additional support.
Attachment 66045 Attachment 66046

Attachment 66047 Attachment 66048

Attachment 66049

i also have done the crossmembers for the fresh water tanks but i'll post those this weekend. it's very cool to develop a welding skill because there's lots of things to do with it on the airstream. i've also welded in crossmember for the bal jacks which i'll will post later as well.

the POR 15 arrived today so hopefully i'll be spending labor day weekend doing that! i'm finally back!!!!

toastie 08-23-2008 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanfood (Post 606981)
it's been awhile since my last update. i've been recovering from achilles tendon surgery and had a new baby boy on july 1 so needless to say.....

one of the best things i ever did on this project was buy this hobart mig welder (i took a class last winter) and it is so cool. i've spent hours on welding the frame and making minor repairs. definatley saved on the cost of hiring a welder plus i'm able to get the things exactly as i want them. i've also included a picture of my harbor freight bandsaw, having the right tools make all the difference;

Attachment 66040 Attachment 66041

you can see the cross member and the angles i've bolted on. the angles can be removed to drop the tanks;
Attachment 66042 Attachment 66043

a welding shot of the new crossmember;
Attachment 66044

the new black and grey tanks fit like a glove. they only hang down a few inches. i'll also use some strapping for additional support.
Attachment 66045 Attachment 66046

Attachment 66047 Attachment 66048

Attachment 66049

i also have done the crossmembers for the fresh water tanks but i'll post those this weekend. it's very cool to develop a welding skill because there's lots of things to do with it on the airstream. i've also welded in crossmember for the bal jacks which i'll will post later as well.

the POR 15 arrived today so hopefully i'll be spending labor day weekend doing that! i'm finally back!!!!

Great job on the tanks, a very clean design.............toastie

uwe 08-23-2008 09:00 AM

David, it's coming together nicely. Did you make any provisionsto cover teh bottom of the tanks at all, or do youplan on leaving them exposed? What about any gaps between tanks and floor, exposure to invite critters etc? Did you mention this in one of your posts and I missed it? I'd love to see more of what you're doing. When's lunch?

urbanfood 09-18-2008 07:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
toastie, thanks and i just found your thread and have been watching it, great work as well (can't believe i didn't see it sooner)

uwe, jury's out on the belly pan. i'm doing it along both sides and the front and back but not sure about underneath. i welded a lot of 1" l-metal to allow me to rivet the belly pan to if i decide to do it.

i've been really lame at updating this lately but here's some pictures for the catchup;

i'm going to install 2 26 gallon water tanks, the tanks will hang below the frame about 3 1/2" inches;
Attachment 67666

supports for two 26 gallon water tanks. note the 2x3 tabs at the top of the frame, these are to reduce the opening dimension from 24" to 18" which is less for the plywood to span;
Attachment 67670 Attachment 67671

the bottom angle can be unbolted to drop the tanks. there will also be strapping underneath for additional support (same concept as my black and gray tanks).
Attachment 67672 Attachment 67673

Mike Leary 09-18-2008 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uwe (Post 607101)
When's lunch?

LOL...One of the best lines from "The Rockford Files."

uwe 09-18-2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanfood (Post 618100)
toastie, thanks and i just found your thread and have been watching it, great work as well (can't believe i didn't see it sooner)

uwe, jury's out on the belly pan. i'm doing it along both sides and the front and back but not sure about underneath. i welded a lot of 1" l-metal to allow me to rivet the belly pan to if i decide to do it.

i've been really lame at updating this lately but here's some pictures for the catchup;

i'm going to install 2 26 gallon water tanks, the tanks will hang below the frame about 3 1/2" inches;
Attachment 67666

supports for two 26 gallon water tanks. note the 2x3 tabs at the top of the frame, these are to reduce the opening dimension from 24" to 18" which is less for the plywood to span;
Attachment 67670 Attachment 67671

the bottom angle can be unbolted to drop the tanks. there will also be strapping underneath for additional support (same concept as my black and gray tanks).
Attachment 67672 Attachment 67673

David,

You will be camping in great comfort and style ( sounds like straight from a fortune cookie)
Plenty of water, plenty of waste water capacity, and a comfortable floor plan. Doesn't get much better now, does it?

On the belly pan jury out thingie...just do a few strips between the tanks, and put thick rubber flange gasket on each end, that way it's sea;ed between the tanks, and will keep critters out, and hopefully won't make the floor too hot or cold. I feel that you would be glad that you did in the long run. I can tell you from experience that it is very hard to revisit a project once you have used it for a while. With that in mind....let's finish it!

urbanfood 09-20-2008 11:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
here are some pics of the por15 progress (this happened a couple of weeks ago). i finally got the welding done and grinded the whole frame. i used metal ready on the entire frame. my painter let me use his sprayer which was really great.

it took about 2 hours for the first coat and about an hour for the second coat. because the sprayer doesn't work upside down, i used a small foam roller on the underside.

ready to go!
Attachment 67724

action!
Attachment 67725

TADA!
Attachment 67726

urbanfood 09-20-2008 11:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
just when you thought the welding was done, on the advice of uwe and andy at inland, i welded in an anchor plate (it has to be por15'd still). i've heard the pros and cons about the anchor plate in regards to wrinkling the panel, but since everything is open and i can weld i decided to throw one in;

Attachment 67727

and since i had to break out the welder again and grind of some of the por15, i decided to add another angle at the step which will help prevent a soft spot at the door becuase of additional support (this probably should have been there to begin with because where i put the angle is where everyone bears their weight each time they enter the trailer;

Attachment 67728

urbanfood 09-20-2008 11:54 AM

4 Attachment(s)
now i'm going to be up-to-date with my reporting.

i cut the floor out last weekend and everything fit splendidly. my c-channel in the four corners was perfect so it made it real easy cutting the template.

i went through a weeks worth of debate on what sealer to use and was set to use a high VOC sealer from westmarine but decided against it. i went to home depot and got verathane which has less than 250 g/lt of VOC. it's water based but i'm in the process of putting on four coats. i just don't want this thing offgassing once i get it sealed up. i have marine grade plywood that is sealed so it should last long enough for me to enjoy the trailer without getting headaches :)

Attachment 67729 Attachment 67730

i picked up my new wheel wells this week too. they're tack welded in spots but i'm going to rivet the tabs so they'll never come apart. i also had my sheet metal guy make me 31' of aluminum channel, a little thicker than the orginal channel which was in poor shape. for the wheel wells and aluminum channel, total cost $202. best money i spent so far i think. it saved me spending a couple of weekends bending and cutting and bending and cutting. now if i could just find someone to put on my belly pan at the four corners.......:D

Attachment 67731 Attachment 67732

that's it! i'm caught up on the thread. i'll finish sealing the plywood this week and possibly get the floor down next weekend.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.