Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/)
-   -   Backing up - Tip & tricks (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/backing-up-tip-and-tricks-26692.html)

LI Pets 10-02-2006 04:13 PM

Backing up - Tip & tricks

Yes, I know how to back up.

I was looking for some tips and tricks from those of you who have more miles under their belly pans:D

dbradhstream 10-02-2006 04:44 PM

If you run over your wife as she directs you in, be sure she's on the low side so the trailer ends up level side to side.

I'M JOKING!!! Actually, I would never let my wife direct me in. (still joking ... )

ALANSD 10-02-2006 04:52 PM

maybe too basic, but we use our two cell phones or our portable radios to keep communication open, sure beats yelling over the diesel motor.

overlander63 10-02-2006 05:38 PM

You mean beyond the "place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, and move your hand in the direction you want the back of the trailer to go" suggestion?
I try to get as straight as possible before trying to back up, that way I am not fighting the previous turn forward while trying to turn in a different direction backwards.

azflycaster 10-02-2006 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lipets
Yes, I know how to back up.

I was looking for some tips and tricks from those of you who have more miles under their belly pans:D

Rule #1 - Avoid backing up at all costs. Always have an escape route when you pull into an area. If you can't drive out, don't drive in.

When you have to back in, always have a spotter. My wife has gotten pretty good at it. Always survey the area you are backing into for low branches and holes.

LI Pets 10-02-2006 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbradhstream
If you run over your wife as she directs you in, be sure she's on the low side so the trailer ends up level side to side.

I'M JOKING!!! Actually, I would never let my wife direct me in. (still joking ... )

If I did that I'd starve:brows:

Stefrobrts 10-02-2006 07:31 PM

I am still learning to back up. My husband is great at it, and I usually direct him. Since I bought and maintain the trailer, he knows I'm not going to let it hit anything! We use hand signals, take our time, and whenever necessary stop and think about what we're doing before proceeding. So far so good...

myboyburt 10-02-2006 07:45 PM

Check out Yuki's Back Up Tips on the NEU Website

Yuki held a seminar for us in the spring and did up a fab instruction sheet. There is a link to it on the NEU Website, just not working right now for whatever reason. I'll ping our webmaster and see if they can correct the problem. :)

maxandgeorgia 10-02-2006 07:50 PM

Would you be able to add that instruction sheet to this thread? Thanks. ~G

LI Pets 10-02-2006 07:52 PM

That would be great!

Babeebloos 10-02-2006 08:19 PM

I'll check back later too....I'd love to see more back up tips!

FreshAir 10-02-2006 11:13 PM

My lovely wife gets too panicky to direct me with backing up. When I really need her I tell her to just tell me when I am about to hit something. Now if I can just make her understand to stand so that I can see her in the rear view mirrors. I still love her. And no I did not say that for when she reads this post. She doesn't read this forum.
Neil.

Fyrzowt 10-02-2006 11:26 PM

That's what you think......:D

doorgunner 10-02-2006 11:32 PM

I use a length of rope the length of my trailer, I place it on the earth next to where I want the tires to be, just look in the rear view and voila, dastardly, well nite time thats another story. yup trees. moving frogs. all that stuff, situational awareness!

FreshAir 10-02-2006 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doorgunner
I use a length of rope the length of my trailer, I place it on the earth next to where I want the tires to be, just look in the rear view and voila, dastardly, well nite time thats another story. yup trees. moving frogs. all that stuff, situational awareness!

UH, OH, that's a great idea but my wife really needs to feel she is helping. I suppose I could ask her to place the rope where she wants me to park the trailer. Boy, that opens up a can....
Neil.

Chopper 10-03-2006 12:10 AM

Rope trick

Good one, I'll try the rope trick. But for me, if I start off with the trailer curved towards the driver side (that is, not straight behind, but swung to the driver side), then I can lean out the window and see the trailer wheels so I can line up with where I want to park. I find that I can pretty much control the amount of swing and do corrections easily that way.

The key my father-in-law taught me is make small corrections, instead of the wild sharp left then sharp right correction I used to do when trying to impress my wife at high reverse speed (ouch, I put a dent in the truck when my utility trailer jackknifed as I did that blind...expensive lesson that taught me to slooooooow down).:innocent:

Cheers!

ROBERTSUNRUS 10-03-2006 01:10 AM

:) Hi, I also use walkie talkies. I tell [ask] my wife what I plan to do, set my walkie talkie on the center consul and just listen to her commands. I bought two large orange cones that I use when I park on the street; But when camping we set the cones about ten feet apart where I plan to back in, then I have a visual referrence to see better where I'm going. Just back up between the orange cones. Still need wife to tell me when to STOP!

:) :) Bob:) :)

john hd 10-03-2006 05:50 AM

backing in from the drivers side (left turn) is always easier, especially if it is a tight turn.

when the trailer goes out of sight in your mirrors you can just look over your shoulder.

i also have a cheap set of walkie talkies. lot less yelling!

john

LI Pets 10-03-2006 05:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Found this, when you are approaching any kind of back-in situation, the job will be a lot easier if you set yourself up to back to the driver's side. You will be able to see the rig and the site much better in your driver's side mirrors and can also glance back over your shoulder and see the rear of the rig. If you need to drive a loop around the campground to be able to approach the spot on your left side, then do so!
It's a lot easier to back up in a nearly straight line, adding small corrections. Avoid trying to back into a spot by starting with a sharp 90 degree turn. If possible, pull into the space across the road to get a straighter shot. If there is room, swing wide and pull well up ahead to get a straighter shot.[/SIZE]

yukionna 10-03-2006 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboyburt
Yuki held a seminar for us in the spring and did up a fab instruction sheet. There is a link to it on the NEU Website, just not working right now for whatever reason. I'll ping our webmaster and see if they can correct the problem. :)

The link is fixed.

http://www.wbcci1.org/ne/BackingUp_Seminar.pdf

Also, this topic has been raised a few times in the past. Check out these threads for more information:

1) http://www.airforums.com/forum...dius-2724.html

2) http://www.airforums.com/forum...ers-23117.html

3) http://www.airforums.com/forum...ler-18831.html

There are more threads too. Just click the "advanced search" button; search for the word "backing" in "titles only".