Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/)
-   -   Dream fulfilled or Nightmare in progress (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/dream-fulfilled-or-nightmare-in-progress-25300.html)

Noel 08-15-2006 11:06 AM

Dream fulfilled or Nightmare in progress

The excitement has not worn off "yet". Yesterday completed the 3rd week of ownership of our 1963 Overland 26' escape pod. We've given ourselves till spring of 2007 to transform it into something liveable or at least bearable. The pod had been sitting in the previous owners backyard for over 8 years and prior to that it had served as home to an elder gentleman somewhere in the great white north. How it ended up on the South Carolina/ North Carolina border we have no idea. Too late to turn back now. We handed over the cash, hooked up the Dodge and pointed it north for 60 miles. We had checked the tires and felt ok about the short haul and after 5 miles I laid hands on the hubs to feel for any heat from the bearings ok again. After getting to our rural four lane and staying at reasonable speed for a few miles it became apparent we had made a good buy. The pod towed like nothing was behind the big truck and the looks from passing cars let us know that a lot of folks out there can still appreciate a 43 year old unwashed trailer. And after all the name plate above the rear window said it all "AIRSTREAM". We were two proud "streamers". Three weeks later it's gutted to the floor and I am looking forward to the replacement (OSB, I'm thinking). Will the excitement last? We'll see.
Oh sorry to go on so, did I mention I tend to run off at the mouth (and keyboard)?

Condoluminum 08-15-2006 11:26 AM

Hopefully not both...

Congrats on new purchase and welcome to the "Project Owner's Club"...

As you get familiar with the "Search" function here and learn of the challenges faced and solved by others you should feel even better... A realistic schedule and budget are good starting points on your project. Add a sense of humor and patience and you will have a sense of accomplishment for saving another piece of mobile history..

John McG

GreatPumpkin 08-15-2006 11:29 AM

Welcome to the forums and to the Overlander club!:)

You'll find lot's of helpful information and people here. Might I suggest following this thread: A 63 for me! Uwe has documented the progress on his '63 quite nicely. I've got a '64 that is still a work in progress here: My '64 Overlander Adventure I've got quite a ways to go, but the main thing is we are using it and fixing it as we go. Have fun!

uwe 08-15-2006 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noel
Yesterday completed the 3rd week of ownership of our 1963 Overland 26' escape pod.

You know, Overlanders Rock! 'Specially 63's...
I'd like to invite you to peruse my restoration/modernization thread "a 63 for me". I have done a fair amount of work on mine, and documented much of it in this thread. It's a long read - take your time....
I found the trailer to be very comfortable for travel, took it out on a business trip in July for 10 days straight.
Feel free to ask me if you need pictures or want info on certain sections. I got real close to mine, and into every nook and cranny.