Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f474/)
-   -   Fake Excella? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f474/fake-excella-24480.html)

Becky B. 07-17-2006 03:20 PM

Fake Excella?

2 Attachment(s)
I purchased what I thought was a 27 ft. Excella last July. I've been working away at polishing, etc. Today I ordered some parts from Inland RV & they looked up the numbers of my serial number for me. My trailer isn't an Excella after all. It has the name riveted on it in two places, as well as the trademark blue stripe, but apparently it's an International Overlander. Why would someone do that? Also, the front of the unit has Rhino Liner sprayed on it. Would you try to strip it off, or just leave it on? It doesn't look bad, but does it depreciate the value? Would you remove the Excella names & replace them with the International Overlander name? Let me know what you think.

rebel beck 07-17-2006 03:25 PM

Looks great!!!

Becky,
Your trailer looks great polished. I dont know what to tell you about all the other but looks like you have put a ton of work into it and it just looks beautiful. If it was me I would try to get all of it back to the way it should be. Where did you buy it? Shame on them for marketing as an Excella.

john hd 07-17-2006 03:26 PM

as nice and shiney as it is i would just leave it!

it looks better than my "real" excella with pealing clearcoat!

john

Becky B. 07-17-2006 03:33 PM

I bought it off of ebay last summer. The guy I bought it from owned it for only a couple of months & turned it around to make money. He bought it from the original owner. They were located in Tennessee & I'm in Northwest Indiana, so he met me half-way in Southern Illinois. I still have the streetside to finish, but it's about 100 degrees here!

Craftsman 07-17-2006 03:43 PM

Sure looks like an Excella.I don't know why anyone would go to the trouble to rivet Excella logos to the side. Plus who cares what it's called as long as you like it and didn't have to pay extra because someone says it's an Excella. Excella was just a trim level anyway.

Alumaholic 07-17-2006 04:28 PM

Leave It Alone and Enjoy It...

Quote:

Originally Posted by beckybillrae
Would you remove the Excella names & replace them with the International Overlander name? Let me know what you think.

Leave it alone and enjoy it just the way it is. You've got a nice Airstream with an intriguing secret. Don't fret. How would you feel if you turned it into an Overlander only to discover that Inland RV was wrong?

overlander63 07-17-2006 06:02 PM

I would leave it as it is until the stripes start looking bad, then make a decision at that time.
BTW, I owned a Ford station wagon that came from the factory with Mercury emblems on it, so it could possibly have happened. Not likely, but possibly.

cosmotini 07-17-2006 06:12 PM

Becky,

Your trailer looks very good!

I'd leave the Rhino alone, especially since you don't have rock guards.

I'd guess that a PO had that done to cover existing rock dents and protect from future ones.

I was reading on another forum about people having their roofs sprayed with white Line-X for protection and waterproofing.

That seems like a good use of the stuff too.

GlenCoombe 07-17-2006 06:16 PM

I once had an 88 Alfa Graduate that I turned into a Veloce (without rebadging of course) by adding leather chairs and the original alloy "phone dial" fifteen inch wheels.
It sure didn"t hurt the value and sold to the first guy who looked at it when I was done enjoying it.
Enjoy it and let it be our not so little secret.

Chaplain Kent 07-17-2006 07:25 PM

Becky, Your trailer is beautiful and sure looks like an Excella to me. You have done a lot of hard work and put in many hours of effort and it sure shows.
This is your trailer now not some guy's from eBay so do as you please. Do not worry that there may have been an error with the serial number or trim level. As for the Rhino spray you may not be able to get it off. I would love to see a picture of how it looks. This might be a new and better way to get rid of those nasty bumps and nicks on the front. Keep up the good work.
WBCCI #7235 -VAC
1982 280 Turbo Diesel Motor Home (Chummy)
http://goodsamclub.mytripjournal.com/Chummy

ZoomZoom 07-17-2006 08:27 PM

Excella

If your serial # begins with a E it's an Excella.....I International......L land yacht, simple enough...

Zoom

davidz71 07-17-2006 08:46 PM

Mistakes from the factory have been known to happen. So many special order units for customers have been made that who knows, maybe someone stamped the tongue with the wrong letter and maybe you do have an Excella. I'd leave it alone and enjoy it as an Excella.

scottanlily 07-17-2006 09:36 PM

I agree with everyone ,a very very fine airstream and just looks awsome!!
Enjoy it ,have fun ,enjoy the compliments ,a very fine job .Yes it does look
like an excella to me as well ,anyway ,makes no difference.The rhino lining
means you never have to worry about the front area being damaged by
rocks and gravel and such .

Scott

ROBERTSUNRUS 07-17-2006 11:52 PM

Fake Excella?

:) Hi, Becky. Excella, International, or Overlander who cares. Bottom line it's an AIRSTREAM and it's beautiful. Leave it be and enjoy your wounderful AIRSTREAM.
:) I would not even try to remove the Rhino Coat. But if you want more sheet metal showing, you might consider putting rock guards over the front corners. As for the name plates and blue stripes, I wouldn't touch them either.
:) Some buddy please explain to me; I always hear and read "Excella" but when I actually see one, my eyes read "Excello". Am I going blind or something?

:) :) Bob:) :)