Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455/)
-   -   Fantastic Fan Install (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455/fantastic-fan-install-24319.html)

Buttercup 07-13-2006 06:58 AM

Fantastic Fan Install
 
This is my recommendation for how to properly and quickly (around 23 minutes) install a Fantastic Fan if you are thinking about putting one in.
If not - look anyway because it might help you with other metal work. WARNING: This article involves the use of sharp metal cutting tools. Not for the lighthearted!!!

Enjoy!!!

http://overlander.archnevada.com/index.php?fantasticfan

Zeppelinium 07-13-2006 08:46 AM

way funny!

BTW, I noticed in the photo where you're having coffee in a successful effort to avoid work, you got the tattoos off the left side of your face...nice work. Laser or a new face implant?

Buttercup 07-13-2006 08:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That's a mask. Here's what I REALLY look like.

Zed2 07-13-2006 09:02 AM

What was the labor charge for this installation?

Buttercup 07-13-2006 09:07 AM

$70 - worth every penny.

Chaplain Kent 07-13-2006 09:18 AM

I must admit that I did work a little harder than you when my son and I installed our fan but we did it in well under an hour. This was one of the easiest and most rewarding projects I have ever done on Chummy and do not know why we waited so long. Now for the stupid part. My thoughts were: rain? there is always warning and clouds come in and I know when it starts and I am smart enough to stand up and close the vent. I am going the save the $50.00 and get the cheaper fan without the sensor. Boy do I regret that decision. In the less than two months we have had the fantastic fan installed there have been two down pours which drenched our kitchen and several times I left the vent closed and off when it did not rain thinking it would.

InsideOut 07-13-2006 10:32 AM

We too had a Fantastic Fan installed by the pros at International...way to go! They even came back to help trouble shoot it later in the week when we had a minor problem with a loose ground wire.

Shari :flowers:

Safari Tim 07-13-2006 10:58 AM

I just put two Fantastic Fans in the Ambassador. I'll tell you, putting in nice new things is much more rewarding than ripping out rotted floors.

I have the model 5000 w/o rain sensor in the bathroom, and the new remote controlled 6600 w/rain sensor in the kitchen.

Very nice improvement!

Now to polish the original Hehr vents so I can make a killing on eBay:D :D

Chuck 07-13-2006 01:16 PM

So...what are you gonna do for a light fixture in place of the one that went out with the old vent? anything?

Chaplain Kent 07-13-2006 08:18 PM

What I had done is put a strip fluorescent light in the bedroom and use that old fixture installed next to the new fantastic fan. When the old vent was out I drilled a hole through the ceiling brace for the wires. We now have more light in the bedroom and a better light in the kitchen.

Buttercup 07-13-2006 09:28 PM

Well, we are low light people ourselves. In fact, most of the lighting we use is dimmed down (saves a bunch when boondocking).

The fan actually lets in more light than the old fixture before.

And we did get the rain sensor and it has already worked. I watched one day when a minor sprinkle passed overhead. The fan closed and shut off. Then about 10 minutes later, after the hot sun came back out (typical Northern Nevada weather) the fan opened back up. NICE!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck
So...what are you gonna do for a light fixture in place of the one that went out with the old vent? anything?


lewster 07-14-2006 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
I must admit that I did work a little harder than you when my son and I installed our fan but we did it in well under an hour. This was one of the easiest and most rewarding projects I have ever done on Chummy and do not know why we waited so long. Now for the stupid part. My thoughts were: rain? there is always warning and clouds come in and I know when it starts and I am smart enough to stand up and close the vent. I am going the save the $50.00 and get the cheaper fan without the sensor. Boy do I regret that decision. In the less than two months we have had the fantastic fan installed there have been two down pours which drenched our kitchen and several times I left the vent closed and off when it did not rain thinking it would.

Kent,

Have you considered a MaxxAir vent cover for your Fantastic? Lets you use the fan in the rain....just like a MaxxFan!:D

Buttercup 07-14-2006 01:46 AM

I believe that Fantastic Fan recommends that you do NOT use one of those with their fans. I saw that in some of the documentation. I think that the reason may be that the vent may limit the opening and burn something out or may actually suck the fan in the opposite direction it is powered to go burning up the motor. Something like that.

Chuck 07-14-2006 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buttercup
The fan actually lets in more light than the old fixture before.

How much light does it let in at night?

:p

lewster 07-14-2006 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buttercup
I believe that Fantastic Fan recommends that you do NOT use one of those with their fans. I saw that in some of the documentation. I think that the reason may be that the vent may limit the opening and burn something out or may actually suck the fan in the opposite direction it is powered to go burning up the motor. Something like that.

They may say that, but It just may be marketing. I had 2 covers on the Fantastic fans on my MoHo when I was full-timing for 5 years. Never had a problem!

Paul Mayeux 07-14-2006 11:46 AM

It does let some light in, but it can be handled by putting a cover over it. They sell them precut or you can buy a piece of that foil insulation and cut it to fit. Stick a few pieces of velcro to it and the frame to hold it in place when you need it.

Also a tip, throw that gasket that comes with it away. It'll eventually leak. I installed one on the Caravel and it was fine for about a year, then I started to get a drip in heavy rains. I talked to our Airstream dealer about it and he said they never use those for that reason. Just lay down a HEAVY layer of Sikaflex or Vulkem or better yet 3M 5200 where the gasket would go and install the fan. The caulk will ooze out all over the place but it will seal. You can go back and clean it up later. A little blue masking tape around the perimeter of the fan will minimize how much you have to get off.

By the way - our new 25' ccd came with the two fantastic fans, both had that crappy gasket and both started leaking, but thankfully fixed under warranty.

fastrob 07-14-2006 12:06 PM

Better or just different?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewster
Kent,

Have you considered a MaxxAir vent cover for your Fantastic? Lets you use the fan in the rain....just like a MaxxFan!:D

I like the looks of my old stuff but the rain and noisy fan make me consider somthing else.
In a word Lewster, MaxxFan or MaxxAir?

A Fan,
R

markparker22 07-14-2006 01:40 PM

Fantastic Vent and Maxx Air cover
 
Using a Maxx Air cover with a Fantastic Vent Fan works just fine. Never a problem with rain and you can leave the vent in the open position.

Buttercup 07-14-2006 08:04 PM

I wondered about that. I saw a few others with the Maxx Air cover on and scratched my head a little:blink:.
Quote:

Originally Posted by markparker22
Using a Maxx Air cover with a Fantastic Vent Fan works just fine. Never a problem with rain and you can leave the vent in the open position.


Streamer1 09-18-2006 12:36 PM

Nice pictures Buttercup. Did the scruffy man on the roof say "bad" things to you as you took his picture?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.