Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/)
-   -   Nova Scotia-success at last! (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/nova-scotia-success-at-last-22529.html)

TrailerTramp 05-05-2006 02:38 PM

Nova Scotia-success at last!

1 Attachment(s)
With only these forums as my advisor, I've purchased a 1975 31' Excella 500 -in overall good condition for static camping. Yes, I'm defying the Airstreamers credo to "keep movin'" and resting it in one spot as a cottage. I got a great deal on it, so although it's not in pristine condition, I'll make it work for me. There was an area of rot in the floor, where the broken door seal has allowed water to pool near the lounge in one corner. The fabric of the lounge is affected too, in one small area, so now I'm doing some comparison shopping on fungicide and pesticide products. The four I've heard most about are CPES, Git Rot, Boracol and a Lee Valley wood repair kit that seems more economical than the others. Any thoughts?
Anyone travelling through the Annapolis Valley this summer is welcome to get in touch, I'd love to show it off!
www.inhouseproductions.blogspot.com

maxandgeorgia 05-05-2006 08:09 PM

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your new Airstream! Nova Scotia sounds wonderful. I hope we get to travel there and through the northeast some day soon. ~G

a-wanabbee 05-05-2006 10:38 PM

Hey read the blog....Funny thing, I know exactly where you are...My parents live in Bayswater, just down the road. I will be out there in the summer at some point....We recently bought an airstream and are just as immensely excited about it!

Per chance, do Peter and Ian live on Cottage Road?

Paul Mayeux 05-06-2006 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrailerTramp
With only these forums as my advisor, I've purchased a 1975 31' Excella 500 -in overall good condition for static camping. Yes, I'm defying the Airstreamers credo to "keep movin'" and resting it in one spot as a cottage. I got a great deal on it, so although it's not in pristine condition, I'll make it work for me. There was an area of rot in the floor, where the broken door seal has allowed water to pool near the lounge in one corner. The fabric of the lounge is affected too, in one small area, so now I'm doing some comparison shopping on fungicide and pesticide products. The four I've heard most about are CPES, Git Rot, Boracol and a Lee Valley wood repair kit that seems more economical than the others. Any thoughts?
Anyone travelling through the Annapolis Valley this summer is welcome to get in touch, I'd love to show it off!
www.inhouseproductions.blogspot.com

I've used CPES extensively on wooden boat restorations and it is a fine product. However I've found a similar product from www.epoxyproducts.com called ESP 155 and it's about 1/2 the price of CPES, but it has more resin than CPES. Their website is kind of hard to navigate but it is in their marine section of products. I don't know about it's usefulness as a fungicide or pesticide but it will seal the wood so that the absorbtion of moisture is very limited and the resin will accumulate in any punky areas helping stiffen the wood a little. If it is soft enough to poke through with a screw driver I'd cut it out and replace it. As good as the epoxys' are they can't take the place of the wood.

TrailerTramp 05-07-2006 01:33 PM

Thanks for the welcome, and the advice. I did think the CPES was a bit pricey- I've discovered something called Boracol, which is supposed to be a good product for areas of wet rot, as the floor is very "squidgy". Forget screwdrivers, I can poke my whole fist through it if I wanted to. I kind of wanted to. I'm going to start posting my "Q's" on the "Q & A" forums, look for me there, I'll be there often!

wkerfoot 05-07-2006 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrailerTramp
Thanks for the welcome, and the advice. I did think the CPES was a bit pricey- I've discovered something called Boracol, which is supposed to be a good product for areas of wet rot, as the floor is very "squidgy". Forget screwdrivers, I can poke my whole fist through it if I wanted to. I kind of wanted to. I'm going to start posting my "Q's" on the "Q & A" forums, look for me there, I'll be there often!

TrailerTramp,

Before you start with epoxy or something similar, listen the thevap.com and the segment on floor repair. It sounds like you need replacement not repair.

Bill

TrailerTramp 05-08-2006 03:07 PM

I was afraid of that...

Anybody with awesome skills who wants to stay in a 31' Excella in Nova Scotia in return for floor repair?
*insert sound of crickets here* Anybody?