Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Windows & Screens (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454/)
-   -   The Window Curse is Broken!! (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454/the-window-curse-is-broken-21637.html)

pinkflamingoes 03-26-2006 02:30 PM

The Window Curse is Broken!!

We have successfully removed, re-gasket-ed, cleaned and re-installed a window. It's not the front window, but a window nonetheless. I figured out that the best way for us to get the dang panes in and stay in was to put twosided tape on both sides of the windowpane and then the bedding tape layered over that. It stayed. It's clamped. I was close to giving up, now we can get windows put in. Nothing has been this frustrating...we've dealt with power tools and plumbing and electrical and floors and walls and houses and paint and fences and all that in our lives, but never vehicle windows. Sure is a new concept, all this glue that has to dry *before* you stick it on, gasket that looks like it won't seal against water, and windows that are held in with a piece of rubber.

I am feeling motivated again...we don't have all the replacement windows delivered yet, but when we do, they all go in. Then...more floor removal.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and patience with my constant whining about it. What a learning experience this is!!

azflycaster 03-26-2006 02:37 PM

Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!

maxandgeorgia 03-26-2006 07:17 PM

If it wasn't so repetitive, I'd offer congratulations!:) We are ALL happy for you! ~G

uwe 03-26-2006 07:54 PM

Goes to show you that there is always light at the end of the tunnel. It's not always the freight trains headlight, though. Sometimes it's the reflection of the sun in a newly installed window on a Baja beach!

BIGED52 03-26-2006 11:35 PM

Way to go.....Ingrid

I am very happy that you have conquered this milestone! This shall henceforth be know as "Window Installed Day"... in your honor.:lol: Ed

pinkflamingoes 03-27-2006 12:48 AM

thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks!

I get it!

*chuckle*

Apparently according to eljay my post got posted many more times than the one time I posted it. It's either been fixed or it just doesn't show up on my computer that way, I only saw one.

Well I thought that was an enthusiastic congrats on your part either way, azflycaster, so thanks thanks thanks...

Funny how once you cross a hurdle it's no longer important and all you care about is what you have to do next. Here's to the successful window install:

:boxing: "i am the greatest!!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by azflycaster
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!

clancy_boy 03-27-2006 01:02 AM

Pictures Pictures Pictures

Hey, after all this hard work and multiple posts - we need pictures........

Congrats
Mike

pinkflamingoes 03-27-2006 07:19 PM

OK...it's raining now and the window is covered up with plastic, but I'll do it when the sun shines again.

And my new windows arrived, unbroken, I'm sooo happy and ready to get them in!

overlander63 03-27-2006 09:30 PM

Stoopid question:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
OK...it's raining now and the window is covered up with plastic, but I'll do it when the sun shines again.

And my new windows arrived, unbroken, I'm sooo happy and ready to get them in!

If the new window was successfully installed, why is it covered with plastic?:angel:

pinkflamingoes 03-28-2006 12:00 AM

Because I'm de-rusting and polishing the assembly that pulls on the window clips to get it closed it all the way. I'm doing it on all the hinge assemblies too. The rainy season has been longer than I can remember this season, driving us crazy here. Also, I sprayed the gasket with silicone spray and I want to let it set before I close the window.

I just burned out my second dremel and I think I'm going to get one of those tumbler thingies for small parts that I saw on DIY, if I can't find something to polish small parts that will put up with my abuse. Any ideas or experience with this? The window frames are covered with white rust too, I don't need it to be shiny perfect, but they're pretty dirty. What do y'all use for polishing, but not the outer skin?

ingrid

overlander63 03-28-2006 05:57 AM

Makes perfect sense.

Quote:

Because I'm de-rusting and polishing the assembly that pulls on the window clips to get it closed it all the way. I'm doing it on all the hinge assemblies too. The rainy season has been longer than I can remember this season, driving us crazy here. Also, I sprayed the gasket with silicone spray and I want to let it set before I close the window.

I just burned out my second dremel and I think I'm going to get one of those tumbler thingies for small parts that I saw on DIY, if I can't find something to polish small parts that will put up with my abuse. Any ideas or experience with this? The window frames are covered with white rust too, I don't need it to be shiny perfect, but they're pretty dirty. What do y'all use for polishing, but not the outer skin?

ingrid

Ingrid, if you are talking about the "rock tumbler" I saw a while back, I don't think it would be a good idea. SOS or Brillo pads work well at removing rust, as long as it isn't deeply pitted.
The white rust, as I am sure you know, is aluminum corrosion, so go easy on the areas that have that until you can see they are still sound. Better a corroded piece of aluminum, than a few shiny bits. If it is still good, you can go to your local Ace Hardware (my favorite toy store) and pick up a bottle of Noxon7. It claims to clean and polish many metals, including aluminum. It has done an acceptable job on the skin of our Overlander, and is pretty inexpensive, A 10 oz bottle was $6.99 last time I bought any.
Also, Dremel has a 5 year warranty, so don't toss it out, send it back for a free replacement.

pinkflamingoes 03-28-2006 12:31 PM

Hey! I didn't know that! Thanks! Will do.

pinkflamingoes 04-02-2006 10:42 PM

Two more windows in!

Two more in, four to go...as soon as we fix the glass bars (clean, straighten out, drill where needed) we're on our way. Clean up the crank assembly and also the window clip pulls, and close the windows. Yahoo!

Zeppelinium 04-03-2006 07:10 AM

Quote:

Two more in, four to go...as soon as we fix the glass bars (clean, straighten out, drill where needed) ...

Photos, photos!!

pinkflamingoes 04-03-2006 01:25 PM

pictures!!

3 Attachment(s)
Here's one: the window went in right before this rain they say is going to last for TWO WEEKS. I have indoor work I can do though, in the garage.

First one: the window is in but not clamped shut. I did spray the gasket with silicone spray and will spray it again one last time before pulling them shut. Polishing the thingys still. The next one is my window clip which is already rusting; I was too scared to try to pull it off the window and shine it up, I'm probably going to just tape off the windowpane, clean it a little, and spray it with rustproof aluminum paint. I can't risk breaking another window and I don't want to anger the Curved Window Gods. Third one is the bedding tape which is holding it in nicely.

I'm going to take off the excess with a razor knife when the weather is better, but I'm also scared I'll score the window/break it...need to approach the excess rubber from underneath. If I remove it at all. Might just stay satisfied with an installed window.

pinkflamingoes 04-03-2006 01:33 PM

polishing

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlander63
Ingrid, if you are talking about the "rock tumbler" I saw a while back, I don't think it would be a good idea. SOS or Brillo pads work well at removing rust, as long as it isn't deeply pitted.

Did a second look. Not pitted, just...dirty and ugly. For polishing the window pulls, which are stainless steel, I bought a new Dremel that doesn't allow me to turn it up high, just on/off and I'm using this bit.

It's working fine and my iPod is getting a workout. This is much more enjoyable and you've saved me some dough. It's bit #511 and comes with both in the pack.

I use up about one bit per assembly. The brown one works best but for the lighter stuff I use the other one. I just wish I knew a good way to use a drill with a bit to poish the inside of the window frames, they are the ones with the white rust problem. They're in good strong condition however.

BIGED52 04-19-2006 01:36 PM

Windows?

Ingrid, How are the window installs coming along? Did it ever stop raining long enough for you to finish with them? I just finished at the nuke plant and am now getting set up to install the rest of my window seals and glass. I'm a bit put out that I still can't get the new window clips. VTS doesn't yet sell them. I sent a note to Steve last night to see if he can give me a date that I can pre-order them. I am wanting to replace all mine with new ones. If I can then someone can have the ones I am removing from the old plexiglas windows. They are rusty/dirty like yours were but will still work. I wish I could make the 4 I bought from Inland tighten up to the new windows...I just don't trust that they will hold to the glass and seal well. I wish they had told me they were designed for framed windows before I ordered them last fall. Let me know how you are doing on your trailer. Ed

pinkflamingoes 04-23-2006 02:48 PM

Hi BigEd!

We just now had a break from the rain. However, this past week was spring break so we took off for a week in San Diego, and we've got sun here finally.
So I'm ready to get going again.

Unfortunately some gasket came off of one window (no biggie) so I'm going to re-do that one window gasket and the door, I'm ordering from Inland RV (ugh) tomorrow. I'm almost done dremeling off the window assemblies. I rented "Taken" from Netflix, put it in the garage TV, and dremeled away. (I also find movies help with the tedium of folding laundry!!)

My husband is going out of town this weekend so he won't be able to finish drilling holes in the window bars that need it this week, but we're going to get one more window in before he leaves on Thursday, there's one window that can be installed.

Here's what I did re: window clips: I used the dremel to carefully clean off the window clips while still on the windows, I taped them off, and I sprayed them with silver Rustoleum for now. I'm too nervous to try to take them off, they're rusted to the window quite nicely, so I'm leaving them alone. I considered painting them over with POR15 and a coat of Sterling Silver, I have some still from the frame paint job which I will continue this summer. But overall I feel good about the window thing finally! I am going to get inside and clean the interior window frames so they don't look so gross, and then move on to the next phase.

Hope you're well! I am too old for this much fun!!

BIGED52 04-24-2006 01:29 AM

Re: Windows Cursed or cussed!

Ingrid, I still need new window clips! I really don't want to try to put these old ones on the new glass from VTS as the thickness is more at 1/8" than the Corning glass or plexiglas/lexan was. I'm afraid if I try to install the old clips that they will break or worse yet that the window will! I don't want to anger the curved glass gods. I guess I will just be on a hold for clips until Steve has them in stock. I haven't heard back from him yet as he is still closed or out of touch for the rest of the month. Hopefully when he returns he can shed some light on the clip "gap"! Kinda sounds like the missile gap of the old cold war days! LoL! The 4 clips I got from Inland and installed on the two small windows had to be shimmed on the new windows with bedding tape to make them work. I just don't really trust them to stay on the glass as they were designed for the windows with the edge moulding frames. Still, they are on the windows right now while "Landshark" is sitting still in the driveway. I hope to get a good test result from the new style seals I am installing on the window frames.(See the other sub-forum response on Replacement for Corning Glass Posts.) Tommorrow I hope to get the two flat windows installed but a lot depends on the screw removal situation as to how far I get with them. I'll keep you updated on the progress... Ed

pinkflamingoes 05-14-2006 11:10 PM

Happy Mother's Day...

For a present I asked for: the chance to sleep in, chocolate chip pancakes, coffee and the opportunity to read the whole newspaper, and...one more window put into the trailer. I got all of the above! As Elmer Fudd would say, something is kinda scwewy about the glass bar on the window that formerly was plexiglas or something, which we replaced today. Every time hubby tried to screw a new hole in the bar it would get pushed downward at the wrong angle, but it finally worked. The glass bar looks like swiss cheese but the window is in and looks good. That bedding tape is working great. Next: a small window, the front and back, and we're DONE! I would like to clean up the window frames inside the trailer but I'm not sure how to go about it. Aluminum Jelly didn't do the trick, it's structurally sound but in bad shape. I am debating sanding it off with very very fine grit sandpaper or something. Clean with scrub marks would look better than the dirt and white rust that's there now, and besides, it's not the outer shell, it's the inside of the window frames. No one will be looking at it.

Next up: installing window clips and putting closing mechanisms back on. How is your progress going on that, Ed? I might stick my clips on with two sided tape and bedding tape, just like the glass bar.

BIGED52 05-17-2006 12:05 AM

"Windows.... We Don't Need No Stinkin' Windows"

Ingrid, Mel Brooks would be proud of me for that userped and butchered phrase! Well, Let me see what I can tell you on my windows.....Nada! You remember all that rain you guys were having.......Well! Just guess where it has been for the last three weeks....Right-tee-oh! We have had the drought from last year (15 inch) completely wiped out....and it is still raining every stinkin' day! Enough already! I have lived here in the Quad Cities Area since 1974 and have never seen this much rainy overcast weather in all those years. It looks like maybe Thursday we might get a small reprieve for a day or so! One can only hope as I am getting...can you say C A B I N F E V E R... I knew you could! Really though I am holding off installing the windows until I can install all new Clips (16) from VTS...Steve says he hopes to have them in by the end of the month. I sure hope so, I need to get the rest of these things installed so I can move on to cleaning and re-caulking the panel seams with Vulkem or Parbond. Then once the coach is water proof I will get to work on the things inside that need attention. I am getting Refridgerator parts from some other forums members to replaced the missing/cracked items on my unit. Then I will be seeing about replacing the umbilical cord from the trailer to the TV. The end of the original one was torn off when it was still with the PO. I have it but need to change over from 7 round pin to 7 flat pin end as that is what my 1999 GMC Sierra 1500 has on it. After that is corrected I need to test and repair/re-seal all the running lights to get them all in good working order. It never ends does it. But I feel so good about getting this stuff all in ship shape/running condition that I am beginning to enjoy the working on it and knowing that when I'm done it will be...Good to Go...as they say in the Taco Bell commercials. Have you tried Met-all polish on you window sills? It is supposed to be good on aluminum for cleaning and polishing. I believe you can even try chrome polish like Mothers' on it and see what that does. Coke old formula removes rusty stains...wonder if it would work on your window sills... might be a cheap trick to try! Let me know how you make out on them. I'll keep you updated on my progress too! Ed

AYRSTRM2 05-17-2006 11:15 AM

Ed, any luck with the electrical issues?

crowbar68 05-17-2006 01:16 PM

I use up about one bit per assembly. The brown one works best but for the lighter stuff I use the other one. I just wish I knew a good way to use a drill with a bit to poish the inside of the window frames, they are the ones with the white rust problem. They're in good strong condition however.

can't you use a drill w/ a wire wheel to polish straight edges and when you get in the tight corners go to the drremel? if so definetly wear leather gloves , long sleeves and safety glasses. you can get brass wire wheels so as to not damage the aluminum as much as steel ones, use a variable speed drill and lower rpm,s so you don't burn the aluminum.

crowbar

overlander63 05-17-2006 07:23 PM

They make really small, stiff wire brushes for a Dremel (or drill) that is made from plastic bristles. I just measured the one for mine, and it is almost 5/16" across. The bristles point straight out parallel to the shaft, instead of in a big circle, so it will go into the channel.

BIGED52 05-18-2006 10:39 PM

Off Topic But...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
Ed, any luck with the electrical issues?

John, Not resolved yet! Waiting on a member in Arizona to send me a working Univolt from a 1967 Safari so I can see if the 12 volt system works then. Ed

pinkflamingoes 05-20-2006 01:54 PM

Ugh Ed I don't envy you. We have had clear weather for a few weeks here, every single baseball and soccer team is fighting over the fields in town to get in makeup games. Glad to hear the progress.

Overlander and crowbar, I tried various bits that are those brushes of extremely hard plastic. They got off some of the rust but not really enough. I'm not sure if I'm going to try sandpaper or just leave it as is after the brush cleaning, but I'm going to check out the Dremel bits and see what I can accomplish with those.

Thanks for the input...Ed, the rain won't last forever, I know it seems like it...

pinkflamingoes 05-27-2006 02:10 AM

window things

Hey Ed,

How's the weather treating you?

I am almost done cleaning my window frames and Sunday or Monday we plan to install one more window. I used a wire brush attachment on a power drill to clean the frames, nothing else would get off all the crud. It looks fine.

I have a question: when you re-installed your window cranking device, the one that pulls the pane shut at the window clip, did you use some kind of glue to put the plate back down that is under the whole mechanism? When I removed it and cleaned the frames I there was a lot of white residue left from some kind of stuff, was that glue, and is it necessary to replace it (the glue?)

Frostyone 05-27-2006 11:16 PM

How to Clean Window Frames

Not much to add - but I have enjoyed reading this thread. We have just started pulling and rebuilding the windows in our Caravel. My wife started with the kitchen window as it's the smallest. Somewhere in time a clever PO used the dreaded silicone to glaze the window - it's a bit of a trick to get that off...

Anyhow we have had good success polishing our window and screen frames with a scotch brite pad like disk - 3M Roloc and Bristle Disks on a die grinder (or in a 3/8 drill). The only thing to watch for is the swirl from the abrasive pad. For the time expenditure, these disks are great. I would rather have little swirls on a shiny frame than the corosion that was there before...

S & S

BIGED52 05-28-2006 01:20 AM

Window Closer Mechanisms

INGRID, The stuff that looked like glue is not to hold the base plate down it should be free floating but held in place by the four screws that hold the wormgear assembly to the sill frame. That plate is to protect the sill from the wormgear. The gluelike residue is from old dried up lubricant deposits. Most likely White Lithium Grease. This is more preferable to use on the wormgear than any other type of gear lube as it will stay on the worm assembly a very long time and doesn't get sticky as it dries out. It also does not tend to liquify so the lube will stay put! That way you don't end up it liquid lube leeching out of the assemblies and on to the sill frame where dust and dirt can stick to it. The weather here has made a BIG turn toward HOT in the last two weeks. It was 89 here today and very muggy. Tomorrow into the nineties with threats of more thunderstorms like it has been for the last week or so. I still haven't put in the remaining new windows as Steve from VTS told me they would have clips soon. I'm to check back with him on Tuesday. I decided to wait for all new ones. He even says they will have them available for the old Corning glass windows. He is going to have them for Corning glass with or without the metal/aluminum trim frames. I am going to remove the 4 clips that I got from Inland and put on the two small windows (Galley and the window to the right of the main door) as I want them all to match. I need 16 to do all the glass on "Landshark" but it will be worth the wait. I am progessing on the wiring and plumbing with PEX is next as soon as I get all the 12 volt stuff checked out. Hope you get those other windows installed without any more trouble. I see the floor is causing you some grief at the moment. Is it all the corners that are a problem or just one? It may be that the shell has slightly bowed inward while it was free. See if you can use a catspaw prybar to gently ease it over the flooring. If it is straight up and down on the sides and fits over new floor there then it should also go back over the floor in the curved sections on the corners. If it doesn't want to go over the floor without deforming the look of the shell then just trim off the excess plywood until it fits good and looks right and reattach the shell to the floor&frame. Let me know how you guys fair on getting it back together and keep taking those pictures. They give a better idea of what is going on to others who may be able to lend some advice. Ed

pinkflamingoes 05-28-2006 03:10 PM

Ah! You're alive and well. Good.

Lube: gotcha. Do you think I should lube the mechanisms? I'll worry about that later.

Floor: I think we may have cut it ever so slightly larger than the trailer frame corner. I'm thinking as long as it fits and holds the shell together in a fairly Airstreamish fashion and is structurally sound we're just going to trim. We'll do our best to make it fit, but not force it. Probably end up trimming it. It's just that one corner that's sticking out, the other side fits fine. We are tearing out and putting back in, one section of floor at a time. What you see is the only part that is not working correctly right now. The rest of the trailer floor is still the old floor and is attached completely.

Frostyone: I agree, the slight swirls look a heck of a lot better than the dirt. I ordered a fine wire end brush to do the corners and I'm done. The P.O. had painted the interior and slopped it all over the inside window edges so I got that off nicely too.

Ed, thanks for everything...I'll keep you posted...

BIGED52 05-29-2006 09:30 AM

Lube....

Ingrid, Lube everything when putting it back together for the final time. All the openers, levers, wormgears, lifting mechanisms, hinge pins, door hinges, Etc. They all should at a minimum have a silicone based lube applied to ease the years of wear and allow for free movement. Oh yeah, don't forget the hinge on the toilet paper comparment door.LoL:lol: I am watching all your progess. Trimming the corner of the floor back is okay just be careful not to remove too much material. Ed

pinkflamingoes 05-29-2006 02:02 PM

Nice to be watched over....thank you. It gets lonely, I love to work with my husband on this but he's incredibly overworked so I try not to bug him about it. I'm trying to get you, Uwe, Moogie32 and a few others to move to my block and help, or just sit around and drink my beer and tell me jokes. No one's rung my doorbell yet...

Anyway, will do. I did attach one with new screws to be sure it would work (and to admire the shininess) and I have to say they look damn good!

How is yours, got pix?

BIGED52 06-02-2006 12:18 AM

Still on hold

Ingrid, Mine is still holding on the windows. (See Your PROGESS Post) I could never live out there.... too darn many people.:rolleyes: I like to visit the coasts but I really like it out here near Hooterville!:lol: :lol: :lol: You appear to be rolling along and gaining on it all the time now. Won't it be a great feeling when the coach is all back together! What to take with you for a camping trip will be the big question about the trailer? That light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter now and will continue to get closer every day! I am still pulling for you and I know your husband sure is proud of the work and care you are putting in to the trailer. My sincere hope is that you will relish all the work you have done and will continue to do at somepoint in the future. You'll both be spending a great camping trip with the kids and while sitting outside of your trailer someone will walk up and say " What a great looking trailer you have there!" Think about that whenever you get tired or discouraged by all the work. Yes, And once you are done with it you will always have those memories of how you made it look great by all that hard work. You have my admiration for all you have accomplished and for all you still have to do. Keep up the good work. Ed