Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Wheels, Hubs & Bearings (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465/)
-   -   Talk me down from tire/wheel purchase - or where is the deals on 16" rims? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465/talk-me-down-from-tire-wheel-purchase-or-where-is-the-deals-on-16-rims-202151.html)

Wabbiteer 10-21-2019 01:56 PM

Talk me down from tire/wheel purchase - or where is the deals on 16" rims?

Wheel capacity: 2,540 lbs, I'm in serious like with the wheel.

I've got a '73 27' perpetual rehab project and I want wheels and tires to shuttle the empty shell around, might be moving soon too - trailer dry weight was 4750 and listed at 6300 GVWR -

This will be a lightweight aluminum tent if used as an RV, and work as a mouseproof drygoods storage shed for the foreseeable future.

I do NOT plan on replacing all the built-ins. There will be greywater tank only, and a 15-25 gallon freshwater tank.

This $170 X 4 combination is maxing out my budget already, wondering if MN tax will be collected too :blink:

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...25RLW6FPB.html

Otherwise - anyone know any better deals out on the interwebby?

Wabbiteer 10-21-2019 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh - here is a photo... $680ish, haven't committed to see tax.

Flht2k 10-21-2019 07:32 PM

Easy. I have nokians for my 15 in rims. Best tire out there an lt tire. Check them out. About 450 installed. Check simply tire

Wabbiteer 10-21-2019 08:16 PM

With steel rims 46~ years old they've shown me it is time to replace them.

Long term parking means moisture collects on the downhill round rubber crevices and gets pretty deep down the side rings above the tires bead seat - freeze/thaw must really amplify this, be able to see a crescent fissure running for 5, 7, 10 inches as wide as they are deep - 1/8" is probable now or better.

I bead blasted and painted these wheels 6 or 8 years ago, was time then and surely really time to swap them out now. :blush:

Remember jumping from a D to E can cause mysterious rim failures with these old wheels, the above may be a very good clue to that.

15" nokians on 15 in rims... I'm with that, sure... :cool:

...but am secretly hoping someone flags a good deal away from 15" to bump up to 16" blah blah :brows::angel:

Nightowl 10-22-2019 11:24 AM

Talk me down from tire/wheel purchase - or where is the deals on 16" rims?

I have 4 used Sendel wheels 16 inch that I am looking to part with. I don't know about the shipping cost from NM where I live to Minnesota but perhaps we can work it out. If youre interested give me a shout.

Wabbiteer 10-22-2019 11:58 AM

Nightowl?

Gracious offer, you need to put those on classified and have someone local pick them up - making a solid contact locally in the AirForums community IS worth it, I'd just be a one-and-done deal :blink::sick::shock:

- I hate the idea of causing someone the hassle of finding boxes and doing the UPSy dance. IF* I were about 1700 miles closer you'd be seeing me tomorrow!

Action 10-22-2019 12:59 PM

Sounds like you have your mind made up.

Why don't you pull the trigger?

>>>>>>>>>Action

CruizinDux 10-22-2019 06:49 PM

There are a number of threads on the gym's 15>16 that went pretty much silent when the GYE's were introduced. Google ray ecklands..michlen 15 to 16 (or=). Everybody was buying the new rims and mich tires.

I had zeroed in on the 15 nokians...why but new rims...i see a lot of them around Eugene, mainly on trucks and a lot on horse trailers.

I was ready to order them and the gye's came out. Uhhh...still a goodyear like the gyms. Then just befire departure to Nashville...uhhh...slightly larger profile. Fits in wheel well but may not in spare bracket...a little wider.I

So sent fir the gye's and lovd them. Basically same rating...lots of good threads re pressure and speed ratings. Currently on 3rd cross country trip and pushing 35k miles on the gye's.

To be clear, i suspect the nokians are therir equal...gye's a little cheaper and certainly more a available. Noks are now made in TN, so that probably has changed.

Lots of threads on the gye's. When i'm on another device I'd be glad to look in my tjre folder and post.

B

The one part that tireman9 and others have mentioned is that the gye's have a thinner (weinie tire was my term) but that apparently translates to a cooler running tire. That seems true plus they hold pressure like no other.