Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/)
-   -   new member - 76 Caravanner info plz (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/new-member-76-caravanner-info-plz-20102.html)

Longhorn57 01-11-2006 08:39 AM

new member - 76 Caravanner info plz

Can anyone help me find a floor plan for the 1976 caravanner? Also, the refrig works on gas but not electric. Whats wrong?
Thanks - "Hook 'em Horns"

juel 01-11-2006 11:35 AM

Go to www.vintageairstream.com and scroll down to the Archives and click on that. Since I am in Oklahoma, I will over look the "Hook'em Horns" remark. Don't know about the frig. problem, but I'm sure someone on here can help you with that. Welcome to the Forum. Lots of good information here, even for a Texan.

jim kolhoff 01-11-2006 12:41 PM

76 caravanner

Its good to see another 76 caravanner out there.

Had the same problem with my fridge. Turned out to be the AC heating element. Don't remember the specifics but will look in my service manual tonight. I will post the information I have. The very worst problem is getting the fridge out. That job comes with a few well chosen words. But its do-able.

If I remember right my service manual didn't have the floor plan; again, I will look for that.

If you post your phone #/address I will get the stuff to you.

Jim k

Darol Ingalls 01-11-2006 04:02 PM

I've regretted selling my '76 Caravanner ever since the new owner towed it away, but at least it went to a good home and I still get visiting rights. The floor plan was not included in the '76 owner's manual, don't know why, but there weren't many made. Refrigerator problem is likely the 110volt heating element since it works with gas. Hard to get to without removing the unit since there is no outside access door and the side access is for elves. Four bolts through the floor accessable from underneath the trailer. There should be a removable aluminum panel next to the vent screen. They are probably rusted on, so you'll need someone inside the trailer with a wrench on the bolt heads. Then there are screws on the side panels along the front edge and probably along the back edge that must be removed before the unit can be removed. I made a bracket to hold the fridge above the wheel well and moved it back closer to the wall to allow more space in the hallway. Of course, that was done during a complete interior rebuild. Good luck. Darol

davidz71 01-12-2006 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longhorn57
Can anyone help me find a floor plan for the 1976 caravanner? Also, the refrig works on gas but not electric. Whats wrong?
Thanks - "Hook 'em Horns"

I am assuming that you checked the outside compartment and the receptacle in that compartment where the refrigerator plugs in has power?

jim kolhoff 01-12-2006 10:24 AM

76 Caravanner

Here's the information I have from my 76.

When my fridge stopped making cold, I went to the local RV parts place and bought a "universal replacement" heating elememt, #NW39-6114. relatively inexpensive. Important thing is that it is 225 watts; will measure about 52 ohms. That was 7 years ago and it works great.

I have a floor plan diagram if you need it.

Jim K

Janet H 01-12-2006 10:26 AM

Try this link - no floor plan - but lots of pictures

davidz71 01-12-2006 09:46 PM

Caravanner

I'll tell you, I love the looks of the '76 Caravanner. All those windows. It has the same angled galley that my '77 Excella 500 had which I never liked because I use to bang my head on the overhead cabinet and it seemed to take up some of the interior space. Other than that, I don't think any other Airstream exterior can beat it for good looks.

ticki2 03-07-2006 08:41 PM

Jim K is right on , need to pull the frig to change the element . You can check the outlet first without pulling the frig. It can be accessed thru the cloths closet in the bath.It's around the back by the wheel well , tight sqweeze . Also check 120v panel in bath.