Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   General Repair Forum (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Step by step Dometic 7 cu ft. refrigerator removal (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/step-by-step-dometic-7-cu-ft-refrigerator-removal-200959.html)

broupman 09-17-2019 06:28 PM

Step by step Dometic 7 cu ft. refrigerator removal

2 Attachment(s)
I wanted to make my refrigerator more efficient by installing fans behind it, but could not find a good step by step process to remove the fridge. So I made notes and took some pictures.

• Remove Phillips screws on hinge supports located on each side of the top edge of fridge.
  • Top display/control panel can then be removed by pulling straight out.
  • Unplug both plugs from the display and control panel, freeing the display/control panel from fridge.

broupman 09-17-2019 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
  • Top pin/screw of freezer door is removed with 10mm wrenches.
  • Unscrew by turning the top of the 10mm pin/screw, while holding the lock nut below with 10mm wrench.
  • Washer goes between top pin/screw and lock nut.

broupman 09-17-2019 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
  • When top pin/screw and lock nut have been removed, freezer door can be removed.
  • Remove freezer door by lifting straight up and setting aside.
  • Lower freezer door pin/screw is also the upper fridge door pin/screw.

broupman 09-17-2019 06:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
  • Use two 10mm wrenches to remove lower freezer door/ upper fridge door pin/screw.

broupman 09-17-2019 06:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
  • Remove fridge door by lifting straight up and setting aside.

broupman 09-17-2019 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
  • With freezer and fridge doors removed, start removing the two screws located along the top edge of the fridge frame.

broupman 09-17-2019 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
  • Check for additional screws along the frame edge of fridge.
  • There should be only one on the latch side of the fridge, located towards the top.

broupman 09-17-2019 06:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
  • Remove two screws from the bottom edge of fridge.
  • Bottom trim can now be removed and set aside.
  • This will expose a bead of caulk between the fridge and cabinet.
  • Use a putty knife to cut through the caulk.

broupman 09-17-2019 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
  • Everything holding in the fridge from inside the trailer should now be free.
  • Start at the back of the fridge from the access vent on the outside of the trailer.
  • Remove the propane line, and cap both ends to keep dust and debris out.

broupman 09-17-2019 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
  • Remove the 12v DC wires from the power termination block.

broupman 09-17-2019 06:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
  • There are two securing points located at the back of the fridge and are 10mm anchor bolts.
  • Remove second anchor bold and slide condensation drain tube from clamp.

broupman 09-17-2019 06:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
  • Remove 110AC plug.
  • The fridge should now be free to slide out from the inside of the trailer.
  • The fridge is not heavy, have a box/crate ready to slide fridge out of cabinet compartment.

dieppe9 09-18-2019 11:35 AM

Fridge

Thanks for the blow by blow description, very informative.
Hope I never need it.

Life is a Highway 09-18-2019 03:31 PM

Removal of Fridge

Thank you for taking the time to show the steps.

We will be watching this tomorrow as our new Refrigerator in a new 2019 is being replaced. I am having extra fans installed while it is out.

jeffmc306 09-18-2019 05:39 PM

Broupman, thanks for the detailed instructions and photos! Do you have any of the fans you installed? Id be interested in seeing how / what you did there. Weve got a 3-way in our Globetrotter and think it could use some more ventilation.

broupman 09-18-2019 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffmc306 (Post 2290164)
Broupman, thanks for the detailed instructions and photos! Do you have any of the fans you installed? Id be interested in seeing how / what you did there. Weve got a 3-way in our Globetrotter and think it could use some more ventilation.

I also have step by step notes/pictures on the fan installs. To answer your question, this is where I put the fans pushing the air upwards. It's surprising how much of a difference the fans make towards the fridge's efficiency. For temperatures under 90, the factory design seemed to work fine. At 90 or above, I noticed my fridge struggling. With the fans installed, I don't notice it struggling at all anymore. The "start-up" time for the fridge to get down to temperature is noticeably faster as well. So I'd say it's not just a hot weather enhancement.

The picture is looking up with the fridge removed.

Here's the link to a good kit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-DOMETIC-R....c100290.m3507

thiel 09-21-2019 09:08 AM

Hey gang,

Here's a video showing the same process, end to end--except I did not remove the doors or any hinge screws...

https://youtu.be/WQDBur7ItHo

Gsmblue 09-21-2019 09:31 AM

Thank you! I have a project that may involve pulling the fridge out temporarily and this is invaluable! Your timing is perfect!

thiel 09-21-2019 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gsmblue (Post 2291017)
Thank you! I have a project that may involve pulling the fridge out temporarily and this is invaluable! Your timing is perfect!

Once you know how to do it, it's a remarkably simple process requiring only a couple tools. Go for it!

broupman 09-25-2019 02:54 PM

Something to be mindful of, if keeping the doors on when removing the fridge..... The stainless dents very easily, and when wrestling the fridge out they swing open very easily. I think you get my point. Taping them so they wont swing open, even though they latch is good insurance. If you plan on leaving them on the fridge.