Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Tow Vehicles (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463/)
-   -   Made The Move F-150 to F-250 (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463/made-the-move-f-150-to-f-250-a-200913.html)

olgoat 09-16-2019 09:23 PM

Made The Move F-150 to F-250
 
So I debated for quite some time, making the move from an F-150 to a 3/4" ton truck. Our F-150 3.5EB had more than enough power to pull our AS GT 27FB and it handled the trailer fairly well on low/no wind days. With that said, there were quite a few white knuckle moments and sometimes it felt as though the trailer was driving the truck, especially on windy days.

About 6 weeks ago, we made the move from the F-150 to a F-250. Made a few local trips setting up the hitch and tire pressure monitors, and made a 400+ mile trip this past weekend, in some fairly high quartering and cross winds.

Wow what a difference. The F-250 is a drastic improvement. I never once felt as though the AS was driving the truck. In addition I felt very comfortable driving 65-70mph, something I never felt comfortable with in the F-150. Truck was very stable, the trailer never wandered behind the truck and it has so much torque it just settles into 6th gear and stays there, on all but fairly steep grades.

If you are considering the change, my vote is do it and debate less than I did. You will not regret it. Although I am a Ford guy I am sure GM and Ram 3/4 tons would provide the same upgrades.

Just do it....

Profxd 09-17-2019 04:27 AM

Congrats on the new TV. Yet another example of how increased mass and strength of the TV improves stability.

kscherzi 09-17-2019 07:13 AM

The F250 is at least 50% heavier than a comparable F150, and your new truck likely has a longer wheelbase too. However, unless you changed your hitch setup, your trailer that wandered behind the F150 is probably also wandering behind the F250 in crosswinds. It's just that the greater mass of the F250 probably now masks that movement.

I assume you did, but if not, carefully recheck your WD hitch setup and trailer loading. A well setup hitch goes a long way to managing crosswinds regardless of tow vehicle/trailer combo.

panamerican 09-17-2019 07:15 AM

Great job. A perfect match to a 27' RV. I know there are a number of folks around here that firmly believe that reinforcing a minivan rear end is equal to what you have done, but honestly, I've never subscribed to that way of thinking. I firmly feel you made a great decision. I also feel that when you eventually take it into the mountains, you'll find it equally impressive and capable in comparison.

Daquenzer 09-17-2019 10:04 AM

I drive a 28' AS with an F150. BUT I have a Propride hitch and a Roadmaster suspension system. I have no white knuckle driving even in 30mph cross winds. It's very stable. I am very relaxed driving in all conditions. I don't notice trucks go by me at all. So it's not just the truck. A great deal of it has to do with the hitch set up. When I had a Blue Ox set up it was not nearly as stable. And I do believe with some tweaking of the F150 suspension it makes a huge difference for stability. The main issue with F150's is they porpoise a bit. The Roadmaster suspension system ($600) is a great investment for the increased stability and completely eliminated the porpoising.

Having said that, an F250 is a nice towing truck. More than likely it will be my next pickup only because I want the extra payload. Now the question is gas or diesel for me.

franklyfrank 09-17-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olgoat (Post 2289443)
So I debated for quite some time, making the move from an F-150 to a 3/4" ton truck. Our F-150 3.5EB had more than enough power to pull our AS GT 27FB and it handled the trailer fairly well on low/no wind days. With that said, there were quite a few white knuckle moments and sometimes it felt as though the trailer was driving the truck, especially on windy days.

About 6 weeks ago, we made the move from the F-150 to a F-250. Made a few local trips setting up the hitch and tire pressure monitors, and made a 400+ mile trip this past weekend, in some fairly high quartering and cross winds.

Wow what a difference. The F-250 is a drastic improvement. I never once felt as though the AS was driving the truck. In addition I felt very comfortable driving 65-70mph, something I never felt comfortable with in the F-150. Truck was very stable, the trailer never wandered behind the truck and it has so much torque it just settles into 6th gear and stays there, on all but fairly steep grades.

If you are considering the change, my vote is do it and debate less than I did. You will not regret it. Although I am a Ford guy I am sure GM and Ram 3/4 tons would provide the same upgrades.

Just do it....

You are echoing my exact experience and subsequent move to an F-250 in 2017.

RamRider 09-17-2019 11:21 AM

We made a similar change 4 weeks ago, trading our 1500 Ram for a new 2500 Ram Diesel. Our (smaller then yours ) AS is a 25FB but the towing improvement was evident on our recent 2800 mile tour to Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico. We had better stability and towing power plus improved comfort for the trip. We had no towing issues at higher elevations and especially liked the engine braking system on the long downwards grades in the western states. The 1500 may have been adequate but as many have stated in the other posts heavier, power and braking all make the 3/4 trucks a winner for towing AS's. An added benefit is there is no question that we are not over loading this truck while towing our AS instead of always being on the cusp of being over weight on the 1500.

gypsydad 09-17-2019 11:40 AM

Congratulations! I loved our F150 EB when pulling our 25's, but when we went to the 28' AS the wife convinced me to go with the F250 6.7 KR model...28K miles now....very glad we made the switch. As you no doubt notice, the TV experience pulling the 27' AS is much more pleasurable with the larger F250, not to mention the extra payload being a plus. Enjoy...:flowers:

superChop 09-17-2019 01:35 PM

Great move for rear axle weight and payload and peace of mind driving whatever the WD is. We use an Andersen and happy with it. Not sure what kscherziís info comes from, but our F150 weighed about 5,000 lbs and our F250 6,500 lbs with 3500 lb payload and over 6,000 lbs for rear axle, not >50% heavier. CHeck out intíl Rally with TVís for 700 rigs and check tow vehicles on 26í and longer trailers = 3/4 and 1 ton from all manufacturers.

kscherzi 09-17-2019 02:29 PM

Saw it here... 2017 F250 Platinum, 8,300 lbs.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...b-test-review/

Obviously this trucks weight is highly variable depending upon trim, engine, options, etc.

Luftstromer 09-17-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olgoat (Post 2289443)
So I debated for quite some time, making the move from an F-150 to a 3/4" ton truck. Our F-150 3.5EB had more than enough power to pull our AS GT 27FB and it handled the trailer fairly well on low/no wind days. With that said, there were quite a few white knuckle moments and sometimes it felt as though the trailer was driving the truck, especially on windy days.

About 6 weeks ago, we made the move from the F-150 to a F-250. Made a few local trips setting up the hitch and tire pressure monitors, and made a 400+ mile trip this past weekend, in some fairly high quartering and cross winds.

Wow what a difference. The F-250 is a drastic improvement. I never once felt as though the AS was driving the truck. In addition I felt very comfortable driving 65-70mph, something I never felt comfortable with in the F-150. Truck was very stable, the trailer never wandered behind the truck and it has so much torque it just settles into 6th gear and stays there, on all but fairly steep grades.

If you are considering the change, my vote is do it and debate less than I did. You will not regret it. Although I am a Ford guy I am sure GM and Ram 3/4 tons would provide the same upgrades.

Just do it....

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Diesel or gas?

Gleverett 09-17-2019 03:09 PM

Just switched from F150 to the F250 Diesel. Have not made changes as of yet to my hitch. I did order and receive the 2.5" hitch bar. Out of curiosity what changes did you make to your hitch bar/stinger?

olgoat 09-17-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kscherzi (Post 2289521)
The F250 is at least 50% heavier than a comparable F150, and your new truck likely has a longer wheelbase too. However, unless you changed your hitch setup, your trailer that wandered behind the F150 is probably also wandering behind the F250 in crosswinds. It's just that the greater mass of the F250 probably now masks that movement.

I assume you did, but if not, carefully recheck your WD hitch setup and trailer loading. A well setup hitch goes a long way to managing crosswinds regardless of tow vehicle/trailer combo.



WD hitch was properly set up when transitioning to the new TV.

olgoat 09-17-2019 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luftstromer (Post 2289734)
Thanks for sharing your experience.



Diesel or gas?



Diesel.

olgoat 09-17-2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gleverett (Post 2289737)
Just switched from F150 to the F250 Diesel. Have not made changes as of yet to my hitch. I did order and receive the 2.5" hitch bar. Out of curiosity what changes did you make to your hitch bar/stinger?



I wanted to change the drop bar from 2Ē to 2 1/2Ē to match the receiver, but apparently there isnít one available for the Reese SteadiFlex WD system. So I simply adjusted the head placement to be approximately 1Ē above level prior to hitching. The fine tuned the head angle to restore front TV rise back to acceptable limits. I could add more downforce, lowering front rise even more but I think I like it as is. If I could determine how to post photos I would, but no luck so far.

majorairhead 09-17-2019 05:08 PM

I considered an MG Midget to tow a 30 foot International but I couldn't fit the grill in the trunk. So I traded in the F-150 for an F-250 and never looked back.

The difference is night and day. Absolutely no comparison in my experience. Happy to hear so many have found the same results.

Life is a Highway 09-17-2019 05:41 PM

Yep!
 
Congratulations

I did the exact same thing. And we never looked back.
Night and day feeling of stability power and braking.
I loved my F-150 until I hitched it to a Airstream.

I felt the trailer controlled the truck. With the 6.7 Diesel I have to sometimes remember Iím towing.

brick1 09-17-2019 09:07 PM

I went from a 2016 Expedition EcoBoost to a 2018 F250 Lariat Diesel. AS is a 2018 Serenity 28. Plenty of power with the Expy, but it just felt overwhelmed by the AS. The F250 tows so much better. Night and day difference. Towing is easy and effortless. I went with a 2.5 inch shank that extends an extra 6 inches, which allows the tailgate to drop,when hitched, without hitting the jack stand. Will not tow with anything less.

jeffmc306 09-17-2019 09:42 PM

Did the same thing - 1500 to 2500 towing GT
 
Olgoat, congratulations on making the change. We did the same thing (1/2 ton to 3/4) in July and did a 2400 mile trip to Rocky Mountain National Park. The Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi is 1000 lbs heavier than our 1500 and tows like a dream.

Now you can sit back and smile! Post some photos please :wally:

olgoat 09-18-2019 05:23 PM

Photos Of New TV / AS Combo
 
1 Attachment(s)
She tows like a dream. Night and day difference vs our F-150.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.