Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/)
-   -   73 Sovereign frame off (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/73-sovereign-frame-off-199505.html)

Phil17g 08-13-2019 10:57 PM

73 Sovereign frame off

6 Attachment(s)
We finally got started on our restomod. It needs a ton of work. The majority of the outriggers are rotten but the frame seems pretty solid. Iím going to have a local steel company form some new ones from 14 gauge steel in a 10í length and then use my plasma cutter and grinder to shape them. I ordered a gallon of Rust Encapslator Plus from Eastwood and plan to wire wheel the frame really good. I also will be replacing the C channel. Any input would be welcome! Itís going to be a long process but you can see my two helpers are looking forward to it! Thanks !

Argosy man 08-14-2019 03:16 AM

Good Luck on your project:)

The shell on that trailer is gorgeous- glad to see the trailer is being saved. I subscribed to follow your progress.

Shawn

coloradoup 08-14-2019 05:46 AM

Nice looking shell

I would suggest looking at Atomic's 1968 Tradewind twin Renovation. He built a new frame and from the looks of yours you may want to consider the same. It wasn't that much more work from what he said and you get a much better frame. Just a thought. Good luck and looking forward to watching it progress.

cole3444 08-14-2019 07:19 AM

Just subscribed to your thread also, going through the same issues you are with the frame post pics often and good luck.

Trons4u 08-14-2019 11:35 AM

Sandblast

3 Attachment(s)
If you can have it done or do it yourself I would recommend that. I had mine done (24ft Tradewind) for $225. Then it's ready to paint. Looking forward to your progress.

Here's a before/after/painted

Phil17g 08-14-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trons4u (Post 2276887)
If you can have it done or do it yourself I would recommend that. I had mine done (24ft Tradewind) for $225. Then it's ready to paint. Looking forward to your progress.

Here's a before/after/painted

Wow! That seems crazy cheap... looks great!

Phil17g 08-14-2019 12:55 PM

The frame is mostly surface rust, it looks worse in the pictures. Im honestly surprised how flimsy it is. Then again with no floor or belly pans it loses a lot of structure/support

DGJackson 08-14-2019 05:04 PM

Is the front end of new frame is missing the straight rails that come to the front of the shell?

While you don't post a picture of the old fram looking from hitch to back. The A-Frame on the new frame appears to be missing this feature. This would provide support to front of shell.

Just looks strange compared to what I did to my '73.

bibbs 08-14-2019 07:58 PM

I am watching as well. Never did a frame off. Looks good so far.

Phil17g 08-14-2019 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DGJackson (Post 2277019)
Is the front end of new frame is missing the straight rails that come to the front of the shell?

While you don't post a picture of the old fram looking from hitch to back. The A-Frame on the new frame appears to be missing this feature. This would provide support to front of shell.

Just looks strange compared to what I did to my '73.

This should help

Trons4u 08-15-2019 08:14 AM

Inch Worm, Inch Worm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil17g (Post 2276927)
The frame is mostly surface rust, it looks worse in the pictures. Im honestly surprised how flimsy it is. Then again with no floor or belly pans it loses a lot of structure/support

It was pretty cheap and probably not the norm. I was lucky enough to run into someone that worked on a large ranch here and he offered to do it.

Taking it over to have sandblasted was fun. I first took off heading to the ranch that was about 7 miles away and it was like this old toy going down the road. Only made it around the block.

So I strapped a bunch of tires to the frame to add some weight and that worked for the most part

perryg114 08-15-2019 09:34 AM

The frame does not look bad. Fix a few outriggers and POR15 the frame. A light wire brush is fine and make sure there is no grease. POR15 is good stuff but it won't come off your skin. It has to wear off. It is a tough coating. It likes rough textures to adhere to. If you make it too purdy it won't stick as well.

Perry

crispyboy 08-15-2019 09:56 AM

Now that's the way to restore a trailer!

Make sure you get the body tied down to earth so the wind doesn't take it away. You loose the body from a wind storm and your project can be sold for scrap!

I have used both POR15 and Eastwoods product. I like the POR 15 better. Since you have the frame separated I would spray it if possible. If you have never worked with these products before pay very close to the directions on how to apply the product as they are very specific and it does make a difference in the outcome of the project.
As a final thought I would be ready to spray paint the tongue the final finished color you want before the Eastwood Rust encapsulator or POR 15 dries (per directions). Otherwise the Eastwoods will cure extremely hard you will have to prep these surfaces again and chance the final finished paint getting a good bite into the surface. You will save a lot of future time and effort doing this.

I would plan on a good day to lay these several coats of paint once the surfaces are prepped (time between coats to flash dry).

perryg114 08-15-2019 12:57 PM

The biggest thing with POR15 and other moisture cured paint is to not paint from the can and the stuff will solidify after you open the can in a short period of time. I have transferred it to smaller jars with some success. Use whatever leaves the can in about an hour.

Perry