Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1966 - 1969 Ambassador (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f174/)
-   -   I might be nuts (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f174/i-might-be-nuts-198949.html)

chasecrider 08-01-2019 09:58 AM

I might be nuts

4 Attachment(s)
So some of my family members have a 1960's airstream in West Virginia, its been sitting in their field for the last 15 years as a vacation home, and now they're done going out there. So I offered them $1500 for it and my buddy bought a truck in Pittsburgh and now were flying out Monday night and going to get this baby back home to California.

Anybets on my making in back?

What are things I should look out for/ what is going to break?

Anybody think the frame is even still there?

Ray Eklund 08-01-2019 10:18 AM

Of course you are... nuts. I would have done this as well and am nuts.

Even an automobile sitting for 15 years will have rotting tires and wheel bearings that forgot how to rotate within their runs.

Nice looking project. Be prepared to rent a long flat bed to load the trailer... and have a great time doing the restoration. Or, drag as a better term.

When one has a dream.. pursue it. "It is best to have tried something and failed, than did nothing... and succeeded."

Go for it and let us know how it is going...

Iansk 08-01-2019 10:24 AM

You are going to tow that back to Cali?

New tires
New or repacked bearings
New brakes
New batteries
Spare fuses
WD hitch with sway control
Auxiliary brake/running lights
A bucket full of curse words

These things I would consider mandatory, especially the bucket...

Ian

chasecrider 08-01-2019 10:26 AM

Im doing wheel bearings and tires before we leave town and bringing extra trailer lights with me. What else could go wrong? I just need 4 tires to roll for 2800 miles and nothing fly off right?

OTRA15 08-01-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasecrider (Post 2271793)
Im doing wheel bearings and tires before we leave town and bringing extra trailer lights with me. What else could go wrong? I just need 4 tires to roll for 2800 miles and nothing fly off right?

:D

Your sarcasm and self-deprecation are noted . . . you may need them for this trip IMO! Oh, also -- welcome to the forum.

By law the brakes need to work, in addition to Ian's points:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iansk (Post 2271792)
. . .
New tires
New or repacked bearings
New brakes
New batteries
Spare fuses
WD hitch with sway control
Auxiliary brake/running lights
A bucket full of curse words

These things I would consider mandatory, especially the bucket...

Ian

The inside looks pretty decent IMO.

Good luck,

Peter

MAJORJDB 08-01-2019 10:36 AM

Imho, the list could be long on what could happen/break. It would be ideal if you could locate an AS tech/enthusiast to inspect the frame, brakes, lights, etc. I would first check the frame in the front/back where it is exposed for rust holes, metal cracks. Next check brakes, repack the wheel bearings, replace tires. Check window, vents, door for secure intact latches. Check lights and bring an extra magnetic base portable turn signal brake light set (harbor freight ) plus enough trailer wire extension in case of light failure on the road. Might want to tie the door shut as added safety. Get new safety chains installed if possible. Hope this helps!! Good luck!! Jim

Bubba L 08-01-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Iíve towed two back to central Texas, one from upper Ca and the other from upper Michigan. What was useful for me other than what is listed was various sizes of rope, duct tape, aluminum tape, a roll of tie wire, battery operated drill with bits, a manual riveter with various sized rivets and a tool box full of tools. On the 55 I had part of the belly pan come down outside of Little Rock. I had packed a few strips of .032 aluminum and tin snips so was able to patch things back to get us home. It was an adventure. Tie door shut and tape windows if latches are loose. Tie down Hehr vents on the inside. Good luck and slow and easy wins the race.

Lumatic 08-01-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

That is the approach I would take. Keep in mind the axles are probably shot. If you keep the speed down you should be OK. If the brakes are not working take it slow. You will be depending on the tow vehicle brakes to stop both the truck and the trailer.
What you are describing is a bare bones tow. There are a lot of other things you could do to make the tow safer and more pleasant, depending on your schedule and your wallet.

mayco 08-01-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasecrider (Post 2271779)
So some of my family members have a 1960's airstream in West Virginia, its been sitting in their field for the last 15 years as a vacation home, and now they're done going out there. So I offered them $1500 for it and my buddy bought a truck in Pittsburgh and now were flying out Monday night and going to get this baby back home to California.

Anybets on my making in back?

What are things I should look out for/ what is going to break?

Anybody think the frame is even still there?

Number one on your list should be.....one full months prescription of Xanax and a case of Jack Daniels

Halford1 08-01-2019 11:55 AM

Hope you do not have to rent a bulldozer to tow AS out of the wet area.

mpsgolf 08-01-2019 12:57 PM

Welcome to the Nuts Club.

Others have already suggest my short list so I'll just say good luck and be SAFE.

perryg114 08-01-2019 01:04 PM

Take a look at the frame since the belly skin is loose. Reattach that skin before towing. Repack wheel bearings and get some better tires. I really doubt brakes and lights will work but if you are going to actually pull it as opposed to trailer it then you need to at least get the lights working. You better get it in pretty good shape including working brakes if you are going to tow cross country.

Perry

farafield 08-01-2019 01:26 PM

I just want to say thank you for giving us some real entertainment. Here we all are...worried about converters/inverters, 25 vs. 28 feet, easy starts, A/C, refer fans, where to put our shoes..now you are making things interesting! (no offense to all you others!)

uncle_bob 08-01-2019 03:32 PM

Hi

If you are towing as far as you suggest *and* through the mountains, you do want the brakes to be working. I'd bet that there is a law somewhere saying they (and the breakaway system ) need to be functional. This is not a two mile / 5 mph scoot across town on a Sunday morning. You will be on the road at high speeds for a lot of hours.

To get the breakaway working, you will need some sort of battery on the trailer. Whatever group 24 is on sale for the least money should do the trick, regardless of type. Hook it up to the charge wire from the truck and move on .... forget about anything else on the 12V side of things. The lights and turn signals all run independent of the battery.

Like it or not, the plywood floor makes up part of the structure of the trailer (along with the frame and body). If it is rotted out (or the frame is rotted) that isn't something you want to have come apart at 55 miles an hour. I'd spend some quality time poking around to see what's what ....

Bob