Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   2016 - Current Classic (all lengths) (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f540/)
-   -   Classic 33FB Pepwave & SSID (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f540/classic-33fb-pepwave-and-ssid-198618.html)

CWSWine 07-24-2019 02:43 PM

Classic 33FB Pepwave & SSID

The other day I had a knock on my door and gentleman said he saw that had an internet connection and he needed to Skype call and could he use it. He knew I had the connection since the SSID is Airstream_XXX of coarse I was only Airstream around. I. can't seem to find a way to change the SSID to something like FBI_Stakeout or DEA_HomeOffice. Has any been able to change it?

STREMN 07-25-2019 09:34 AM

PEPWAVE Router SSID Change

Hi Dennis & Ellie,

Not sure what you've got there for a router...Pepwave caught my eye. I'm going to assume it's a surf soho. It's simple enough to change the SSID being broadcast...

1. Log into the router.
a. Use a web browser from a device that's connected to your "Airstream" network.
b. Username= admin Password= ????
2. Select the "AP"(Access Point) Menu
3. Select the "SSID" you want to modify
a. Edit the SSID name to your preference.
b. "Save" and then "Apply the Changes"
4. Logoff the router

All the best!

Tom - S/OS #025

CWSWine 07-25-2019 10:47 AM

It's a BR1 that comes with the AS from the factory and the factory has the password and won't give it up. The App that AS has looks like all you can do is change the password. I do not like not having access to the router that's in my AS but the deal of having a 360.00 a year unlimited and unthrottled connect with the first year free is worth it. We are installing a WIFI Ranger that I already own to wall the BR1 from my internal network.

Quote:

Originally Posted by STREMN (Post 2268563)
Hi Dennis & Ellie,

Not sure what you've got there for a router...Pepwave caught my eye. I'm going to assume it's a surf soho. It's simple enough to change the SSID being broadcast...

1. Log into the router.
a. Use a web browser from a device that's connected to your "Airstream" network.
b. Username= admin Password= ????
2. Select the "AP"(Access Point) Menu
3. Select the "SSID" you want to modify
a. Edit the SSID name to your preference.
b. "Save" and then "Apply the Changes"
4. Logoff the router

All the best!

Tom - S/OS #025

turk123 07-25-2019 10:58 AM

You will not be able to change it. The router is locked. Airstream has a software program called "Connect 2" from Pepwave that allows Airstream to control all the trailers from one app. This is primarily for upgrading all at once or to log into your to turn off the WiFi as WAN.

It is "fleet" software so they can see everyone at once.

That said, they technically should be able to Hide the two SSID's in your router so other in the campground can not see them. You would have to ask JC to do that for you.

STREMN 07-25-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turk123 (Post 2268624)
You will not be able to change it. The router is locked. Airstream has a software program called "Connect 2" from Pepwave that allows Airstream to control all the trailers from one app. This is primarily for upgrading all at once or to log into your to turn off the WiFi as WAN.

It is "fleet" software so they can see everyone at once.

That said, they technically should be able to Hide the two SSID's in your router so other in the campground can not see them. You would have to ask JC to do that for you.

Hmmmm, interesting...sounds like a Cable Company Operation, that's ripe for continued subscription fees, cost increases, and big brother oversight. YMMV, lol...

If it works for you that's all that matters...but it doesn't seem right that you don't have complete administrative control over it, after all, you bought and paid for it with the purchase of your trailer.

Sorry I couldn't help! All the best for great adventures!

Tom - S/OS #025

CWSWine 07-25-2019 05:12 PM

Tom
I couldn't agree with you more but that's the game you have to play if you want a 360.00 a year or 30 dollars a month connection. So far this month I have used 120 gigs of data and still can stream Netflix. I think it is still safer to hook up to a router that AS has control then one that a campground has control.

What we have done is put our own router between the Pepwave and our internal network so AS has access to Pepwave and the Czone only. We also have a Verizon Pre-Pay Jetpack that we use at house internet and use about 200 - 300 gigs a month. I can move the Jetpack into the AS and use the router to balance the connections between the Verizon and At&T.

Quote:

Originally Posted by STREMN (Post 2268691)
Hmmmm, interesting...sounds like a Cable Company Operation, that's ripe for continued subscription fees, cost increases, and big brother oversight. YMMV, lol...

If it works for you that's all that matters...but it doesn't seem right that you don't have complete administrative control over it, after all, you bought and paid for it with the purchase of your trailer.

Tom - S/OS #025

turk123 07-25-2019 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STREMN (Post 2268691)

Tom - S/OS #025

Part of the problem is that the Czone system that controls your trailer is of Airstream design and they are protecting their system from prying eyes and prying hacking that essentially, if not controlled, could allow someone to hack your trailer. They also are protecting their Airstream connect support from owners who would fiddle with the router and lock both themselves and Airstream out. Then what do they do under warranty support? Transport your trailer back to JC on a flatbed?

I can see why it is locked.

rmkrum 07-25-2019 06:09 PM

Classic 33FB Pepwave & SSID

Locking it up or making it inaccessible is not necessarily secure. Iím not convinced Airstream knows enough to make Czone properly secure. Passwords over the air can be cracked.

Iím in the computer security business. I seriously doubt they did harden it enough.