Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   RVing vs. Aging (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/rving-vs-aging-198528.html)

John&Vicki 07-22-2019 01:02 PM

RVing vs. Aging

Iím sure that some of us at a certain age are at times slow to perceive just how old we are. Itís only a number, itís all in your head, itís what you make of it, etc. Meanwhile youíre just getting older. Then a wake up call happens - I had one the other day. Someone said that itís really admirable that my wife and I still RV at our age (Iím 75). It had never occurred to either of us that we were doing anything out of the ordinary.

And I donít think we are. But it made me curious so I came up with a little poll to get an idea of the age distribution in this distinguished group. Answers are anonymous unless youíre over 90 in which case you get a small trophy (just kidding, anonymous for all).

Looking forward to the results!

Cheers,
John

KSA63 07-22-2019 01:18 PM

Lol, anonymous? Where is this anonymous poll?
Oh well, hereís my answer...
Iím 56 and still at my job for the next 2 years or so. The YL (young lady) is also 56 and retired from 30+ years of hospital nursing. We have owned our used 2011 Airstream since September of 2015.

OTRA15 07-22-2019 01:26 PM

The poll is above . . . just pick an age group and hit the Vote button.

Good thread, John.

Thanks,

Peter

SilverWind 07-22-2019 01:26 PM

I have a friend that bought his first Airstream this year. He'll be 79 in August. I'm 71. We added a second Airstream, a vintage to our corral last August.

I've heard that it's important to keep busy...ha!

ROBERT CROSS 07-22-2019 01:29 PM

Aging WILL win...🥴
76 SFSG😎

Bob
🇺🇸

KSA63 07-22-2019 01:36 PM

Sorry, I canít see the poll in the app. Will try on the Puter later.

Or maybe I can make it work in web view.

And I could and did vote.
Cheers

OTRA15 07-22-2019 01:38 PM

Good to know yet another limitation of the App, thanks. Desktop view rocks.

:blink: so far . . . >70 = ~56% . . . :blink:

Peter

PKI 07-22-2019 01:45 PM

Age - Stay active. Take care to not fall and break a bone. Keep the rig rolling. When the time is right, engage the exit plan, and pass the coach to a new generation. Enjoy the memories. Pat

SilverWind 07-22-2019 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTRA15 (Post 2267473)
Good to know yet another limitation of the App, thanks. Desktop view rocks.

:blink: so far . . . >70 = ~56% . . . :blink:

Peter

I wonder about the demographics of AirForum. This sort of information/problem solving portal is actually a dated format and is most likely populated by 60/70 somethings, especially during daylight hours.

It might be good to set up a similar poll on Airstream Facebook Airstream user pages to see if the age distribution results correlate.

Daquenzer 07-22-2019 02:21 PM

I'm 64. My brother is going to be 76. He is still RVing, skis, lifts weights, etc. I don't ski, but do the same. I still play tennis, run, lift weights, push ups, pull ups, etc. I think it's all about staying fit and strong. The biggest key to prevent the negative effects of aging is strength training. And you don't need to spend an hour at the gym. In 12 minutes you can get a really good workout and build strength. And will also help cardiovascular as well. And it can all be done at home. Of course no one knows when will get some disease and it all comes crashing in. But one can only control what one an control. And we can control our fitness level.

brokeboater 07-22-2019 02:39 PM

I bought my first Airstream from a guy who was just about to turn 100. A "friend" was handling the transaction for him to look out for his best interests supposedly. Just about everything that rolled out of his lips was a lie but I had been in sales most of my life so I just took it with a grain of salt. Fortunately we had a problem with the paperwork and he had to involve the seller in the transaction. What a delightful old chap full of great stories about his Airstreaming past. His favorite was a 34' that he towed with a Cadillac. As much as I enjoyed his stories I more enjoyed how much it annoyed his friend.

My recently purchased 2003 25' Safari was from the original owners, both in their 80's and giving it up. They were delightful also.

Alumaholic 07-22-2019 02:47 PM

Great Idea

Me at 73, she at 70, and we just purchased a new Airstream, our sixth.
Since I get the same remarks, I look forward to the results of your survey, which was easy to find at the top of the thread by the way.
(Don't understand why all the young whipper snappers were having so much trouble finding the survey.)

John&Vicki 07-22-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverWind (Post 2267493)
I wonder about the demographics of AirForum. This sort of information/problem solving portal is actually a dated format and is most likely populated by 60/70 somethings, especially during daylight hours.

It might be good to set up a similar poll on Airstream Facebook Airstream user pages to see if the age distribution results correlate.

This is definitely a skewed demographic. Compared to SOB owners Airstream owners:

(1) Have better taste.
(2) Are better looking.
(3) Are younger for their age.
(4) Get more exercise.
(5) Are better drivers.
(6) Are better conversationalists.
(7) Maintain their rigs better.

So nice to be politically incorrect and (hopefully) get away with it! :rolleyes:

Cheers,
John

uncle_bob 07-22-2019 03:13 PM

Hi

One way to get an "alternate" view of the AS demographic is to talk to a dealer. Based on a conversation like that, the answer was " the youngest person we sold any new AS to was in their mid 30's". I found that a bit surprising, but there it is. A normal "young" customer would be in their early 50's by their standards.

Bob