Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   On The Road... (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/)
-   -   Traveling Rt10 through Texas (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/traveling-rt10-through-texas-198499.html)

DavidIowa 07-22-2019 10:42 AM

Really?

I guess we all have varying levels of safety and security, but Iíve traveled to every corner of this country and have never felt unsafe. Iíve traveled to Europe RVing on numerous occasions months on end and never felt unsafe. India for weeks camping and felt secure. Canada with our Airstream and felt the same. Driven in Mexico and was going incredibly safe. So, on one of our Interstate highways someoneís telling you to avoid due to crime? I guess, but I donít get it! Now, many of the highways in the USA are in need of repair and I avoid cities at rush hour, but crime on the highways? I could be wrong, but one is more likely to die from a fall at home than a criminal act on our Interstate highway system!

brokeboater 07-22-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidIowa (Post 2267389)
one is more likely to die from a fall at home than a criminal act on our Interstate highway system!

Precisely why I travel as much as I can. Staying at home is simply not safe.

banderabob 07-22-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliesAS22 (Post 2267143)
Hi, Looking for some travel info from anyone who has traveled west bound along Rt10 through Texas into New Mexico. We recently met up with some locals from Texas near the Mexican border. They strongly urged us to STAY OFF of Rt 10 near El Paso and beyond due to crime and unsafe travel conditions. Has anyone encountered problems in this area? Any suggestions as to an alternate route heading west bound from southern Louisiana? Our ultimate destination is southern California near Temecula, CA. Thanks!

Hogwash, totally safe, though I-10 can be routinely snarled in either direction through town. Strongly suggest you consider Loop 375, locally known as Trans Mountain Road. It is steep in one area, but no problem for me towing a 23D with a 2008 Expedition. A little more scenic as well.

mrdfred 07-22-2019 11:20 AM

This info is so much BS! Somebody has been listening to alternate facts. The biggest threats to you are your fellow travelers thru a busy city.

Take a side trip to Fredericksburg Texas, before you get to El Paso, and go to the Museum of the Pacific, a Smithsonian quality museum dedicated to America's war in the Pacific. Good campgrounds and Texas BBQ.

IronMaiden 07-22-2019 05:34 PM

We did it in the spring, stayed in Las Cruces with no issues. This time of year your biggest challenge will be be the heat.

CinTerLine 07-24-2019 11:26 AM

I-10 is fine, near Junction stay a South Llano State Park. Check out Lumís BarBQ! Outstanding. North of Stockton go 40 miles East to Davis Mountain State Park. Worth every mile. Enjoy your trip through Texas. Itís a big state. If you plan on using State parks, buy the State Parks pass.

pontzdav 07-28-2019 05:53 PM

Iíve done I10 a couple of time over last 3 years. Loved the RV park near Kerrville called Buckhorn Lake Resort. Close to attractions in Fredericksburg. A good overnight is Fort Stockton RV park in west Texas. Stop for lunch at Kranberries Chatterbox in Lordsbirg NM nice and easy RV parking. We enjoyed the grapefruit tree on our campsite at Lazydays KOA in Tucson near saguaro national park. Have fun.

Ken-West 07-29-2019 06:45 AM

Traveling Rt10 Through Texas

I am a Texan living near the Mexican border and I would guess that the advice you got was from someone who thinks that anything outside the Houston loop is dangerous. I have been numerous times to the RV parks in Alpine, Lajitas, Marfa and areas of West Texas. My recommendation is to get off I-10 and see the rest of the world out there. Taking US 90 through Marathon, Alpine, Marfa, Fort Davis and Balmorhea would be a great scenic side trip.

n2916s 07-29-2019 07:54 AM

Ken-West has offered sound advice. In Marfa, the Tumble-In RV Park is excellent. The town a might strange -- classic Texas mixed with California Hipster with a twist of Latin Zing!

A-Team 07-29-2019 04:40 PM

I agree, the KOA in La Cruces is great. Stunning view.

TXGal 07-30-2019 08:14 AM

I live in El Paso and I can assure you, it is perfectly safe to travel on I-10 through El Paso. The fact that someone would tell you itís not, is laughable! What people fail to realize is that the crime rate here is low, and thatís with being a border city. But if you are coming through El Paso headed towards Las Cruces, I would take loop 375 and then take the Anthony Gap 404, which will get you past the construction and on the other end/side of town. Itís a much easier route then going through the Franklin Mountains. (Which is very scenic, but not as conducive when pulling a trailer.)

3wd67rg 08-15-2019 03:52 AM

We do i-15 to i-10 from San Diego through El Paso on our way to San Antonio all the time, and back again months later. Never had a problem. We’ve even been known to Stop in El Paso for lunch, or at the Wal-Mart, or to buy gas, and all was well. Don’t let anyone tell you different, they are just silly fools.

TXGal 08-17-2019 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3wd67rg (Post 2277148)
We do i-15 to i-10 from San Diego through El Paso on our way to San Antonio all the time, and back again months later. Never had a problem. Weíve even been known to Stop in El Paso for lunch, or at the Wal-Mart, or to buy gas, and all was well. Donít let anyone tell you different, they are just silly fools.

As Iím sure many know, we did have that mass shooting just recently at the Walmart off I-10. So tragic! Not sure which Walmart you have stopped at in the past, Iím assuming the one that got hit up. But the shooter traveled all the way from Allen, Texas to target Mexicans. So maybe people should be a little more concerned when traveling through other parts of Texas. (Note sarcasm). Keep enjoying our friendly city as you pass through. You will meet some of the friendliest people and you can enjoy some of the best authentic Mexican food. Julioís is a favorite of ours off I-10. 😊

Tincampers 08-17-2019 12:26 PM

We never felt unsafe due to crime, just a lot of heavy traffic and construction. We did take the mountain bypass on two occasions and would do that again. Much more relaxing.