Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   On The Road... (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/)
-   -   Traveling Rt10 through Texas (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/traveling-rt10-through-texas-198499.html)

juliesAS22 07-21-2019 05:34 PM

Traveling Rt10 through Texas

Hi, Looking for some travel info from anyone who has traveled west bound along Rt10 through Texas into New Mexico. We recently met up with some locals from Texas near the Mexican border. They strongly urged us to STAY OFF of Rt 10 near El Paso and beyond due to crime and unsafe travel conditions. Has anyone encountered problems in this area? Any suggestions as to an alternate route heading west bound from southern Louisiana? Our ultimate destination is southern California near Temecula, CA. Thanks!

Crackerman 07-21-2019 05:37 PM

Bump up to i20, I40 or the scenic route on us380 through Roswell

Belbein 07-21-2019 06:07 PM

You were fed a bunch of ignorant crap. It's perfectly safe. Go I-10, take a detour down to Monahans dunes, Big Bend, etc: you'll love it.

Now I-20 through Dallas... There you'll need the 101st Airborne with you. Those Cowboy fans are crazy.

rmkrum 07-21-2019 06:11 PM

And Pappyís BBQ in Monahans is absolutely worth a stop on the way by. Killer good food.

Bubba L 07-21-2019 07:07 PM

Just made a couple of trips west on I-10. If all east/west freeways were as smooth as I-10, I would have options heading to Ca. A couple of new rest areas that are the nicest Iíve seen. There are some nice sites along the way you can visit. We normally head west from Central Texas and spend the night at Hueco Tanks State Park. Have fun and weíve never had any issues.

PKI 07-21-2019 07:18 PM

Reviewing this route for a future trip. I10 is most straight forward. There is a work around on 62 to 375 and up to Las Cruces. However it's somewhat out of the way unless you want to visit Carlsbad. Also, the route skims the edge of El Paso.

The crime warnings we have heard about on I10 were around the rest stops near or in Florida. Have not heard about crime around El Paso. It's supposed to have one of the lowest crime rates in Texas. The road condition on I10 is another story. Fingers crossed it's better than reported. Edit - Hope Bubba's info is spot on. That sounds to be real good news.

Transiting up to I40 is an option. That is the standard East-West Interstate route. Temecula is a bit out of the way from I40 but not a terrible diversion. We do plan to use I10. We avoid I40 if at all possible as we have made too many trips that way over the last 40 years.

Be careful where you jump up to I40. The oil rig service trucks have beat up some of the North-South routes. I thought 285, which runs up to Carlsbad, was one of those mentioned, but no personal experience, yet. Pat

MikeandCarol 07-21-2019 07:33 PM

I-10 west between San Antonio and El Paso is fine, we do it all the time. There are some nice state parks along the way.

jaybauman 07-21-2019 08:39 PM

I-10 Road Construction

If you're thinking about I-10 anytime soon, be advised of major road works between Houston and San Antonio. I still think it's your best route, but you might consider Highway 90 as a better alternative unit you get past all the construction zones.

brokeboater 07-21-2019 09:37 PM

I've done I-10 from Florida to California a number of times. IMO, I-10 in Louisianan is horrible condition wise. Whatever it takes I try to go through Baton Rouge and Houston on the weekends. Unless it's midnight or past I-10 over the river in Baton Rouge is a huge bottle neck. After doing it several times I try not to be going west through El Paso after 5 PM on a week day which seems to be a natural if I pass through Baton Rouge on Saturday and Houston on Sunday. On the west side of town the Interstate goes up a big hill with a mob of traffic and the setting sun right in your eyes. If it's a traffic jamb, often, then you are in stop and go traffic going up a long steep hill while towing a trailer with blazing sun in your eyes. Something about it makes me not like it. Other than that I like it. I like Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument which is suppose to be dangerous and scary but it isn't. Big Bend is great as is the drive from Big Bend to Presidio on route 170 right along the Rio. We cross into Mexico, on foot, just west of Yuma regularly. I've never felt threatened.

MikeandCarol 07-22-2019 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybauman (Post 2267206)
If you're thinking about I-10 anytime soon, be advised of major road works between Houston and San Antonio. I still think it's your best route, but you might consider Highway 90 as a better alternative unit you get past all the construction zones.

Thereís also a lot of construction on I-10 just north of San Antonio, it will be nice when complete next year but is a real pain right now.

Belbein 07-22-2019 07:58 AM

True dat

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokeboater (Post 2267)
IMO, I-10 in Louisianan is horrible condition wise. Whatever it takes I try to go through Baton Rouge and Houston on the weekends. Unless it's midnight or past I-10 over the river in Baton Rouge is a huge bottle neck. ...

I did this a few weeks ago going to Houston and back. Awful, awful, awful. But then, if you're heading West, at least the Baton-Rouge to New Orleans mess prepares you for the Chernobyl of Beaumont and environs. From Houston west, though, it's pretty much a (boring!) dream. Don't forget to stop in San Antonio. Great town to visit.

Peterf 07-22-2019 09:15 AM

I10 through Texas

This past April and March that section of I10 was uneventful except for some terrific BBQ, side trips to Big Bend, Marfa, around El Paso towards Las Cruces, White Sands...all without incident.

Peterf 07-22-2019 09:20 AM

I10 through Texas

This past April and March that section of I10 was uneventful except for some terrific BBQ, side trips to Big Bend, Marfa, around El Paso towards Las Cruces, White Sands...all without incident.

Franktr 07-22-2019 10:31 AM

We just did that trip to Austin from a KOA in Las Cruces NM only issue is the traffic and construction in El Paso

DavidIowa 07-22-2019 10:42 AM

Really?

I guess we all have varying levels of safety and security, but Iíve traveled to every corner of this country and have never felt unsafe. Iíve traveled to Europe RVing on numerous occasions months on end and never felt unsafe. India for weeks camping and felt secure. Canada with our Airstream and felt the same. Driven in Mexico and was going incredibly safe. So, on one of our Interstate highways someoneís telling you to avoid due to crime? I guess, but I donít get it! Now, many of the highways in the USA are in need of repair and I avoid cities at rush hour, but crime on the highways? I could be wrong, but one is more likely to die from a fall at home than a criminal act on our Interstate highway system!

brokeboater 07-22-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidIowa (Post 2267389)
one is more likely to die from a fall at home than a criminal act on our Interstate highway system!

Precisely why I travel as much as I can. Staying at home is simply not safe.

banderabob 07-22-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliesAS22 (Post 2267143)
Hi, Looking for some travel info from anyone who has traveled west bound along Rt10 through Texas into New Mexico. We recently met up with some locals from Texas near the Mexican border. They strongly urged us to STAY OFF of Rt 10 near El Paso and beyond due to crime and unsafe travel conditions. Has anyone encountered problems in this area? Any suggestions as to an alternate route heading west bound from southern Louisiana? Our ultimate destination is southern California near Temecula, CA. Thanks!

Hogwash, totally safe, though I-10 can be routinely snarled in either direction through town. Strongly suggest you consider Loop 375, locally known as Trans Mountain Road. It is steep in one area, but no problem for me towing a 23D with a 2008 Expedition. A little more scenic as well.

mrdfred 07-22-2019 11:20 AM

This info is so much BS! Somebody has been listening to alternate facts. The biggest threats to you are your fellow travelers thru a busy city.

Take a side trip to Fredericksburg Texas, before you get to El Paso, and go to the Museum of the Pacific, a Smithsonian quality museum dedicated to America's war in the Pacific. Good campgrounds and Texas BBQ.

IronMaiden 07-22-2019 05:34 PM

We did it in the spring, stayed in Las Cruces with no issues. This time of year your biggest challenge will be be the heat.

CinTerLine 07-24-2019 11:26 AM

I-10 is fine, near Junction stay a South Llano State Park. Check out Lumís BarBQ! Outstanding. North of Stockton go 40 miles East to Davis Mountain State Park. Worth every mile. Enjoy your trip through Texas. Itís a big state. If you plan on using State parks, buy the State Parks pass.

pontzdav 07-28-2019 05:53 PM

Iíve done I10 a couple of time over last 3 years. Loved the RV park near Kerrville called Buckhorn Lake Resort. Close to attractions in Fredericksburg. A good overnight is Fort Stockton RV park in west Texas. Stop for lunch at Kranberries Chatterbox in Lordsbirg NM nice and easy RV parking. We enjoyed the grapefruit tree on our campsite at Lazydays KOA in Tucson near saguaro national park. Have fun.

Ken-West 07-29-2019 06:45 AM

Traveling Rt10 Through Texas

I am a Texan living near the Mexican border and I would guess that the advice you got was from someone who thinks that anything outside the Houston loop is dangerous. I have been numerous times to the RV parks in Alpine, Lajitas, Marfa and areas of West Texas. My recommendation is to get off I-10 and see the rest of the world out there. Taking US 90 through Marathon, Alpine, Marfa, Fort Davis and Balmorhea would be a great scenic side trip.

n2916s 07-29-2019 07:54 AM

Ken-West has offered sound advice. In Marfa, the Tumble-In RV Park is excellent. The town a might strange -- classic Texas mixed with California Hipster with a twist of Latin Zing!

A-Team 07-29-2019 04:40 PM

I agree, the KOA in La Cruces is great. Stunning view.

TXGal 07-30-2019 08:14 AM

I live in El Paso and I can assure you, it is perfectly safe to travel on I-10 through El Paso. The fact that someone would tell you itís not, is laughable! What people fail to realize is that the crime rate here is low, and thatís with being a border city. But if you are coming through El Paso headed towards Las Cruces, I would take loop 375 and then take the Anthony Gap 404, which will get you past the construction and on the other end/side of town. Itís a much easier route then going through the Franklin Mountains. (Which is very scenic, but not as conducive when pulling a trailer.)

3wd67rg 08-15-2019 03:52 AM

We do i-15 to i-10 from San Diego through El Paso on our way to San Antonio all the time, and back again months later. Never had a problem. We’ve even been known to Stop in El Paso for lunch, or at the Wal-Mart, or to buy gas, and all was well. Don’t let anyone tell you different, they are just silly fools.

TXGal 08-17-2019 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3wd67rg (Post 2277148)
We do i-15 to i-10 from San Diego through El Paso on our way to San Antonio all the time, and back again months later. Never had a problem. Weíve even been known to Stop in El Paso for lunch, or at the Wal-Mart, or to buy gas, and all was well. Donít let anyone tell you different, they are just silly fools.

As Iím sure many know, we did have that mass shooting just recently at the Walmart off I-10. So tragic! Not sure which Walmart you have stopped at in the past, Iím assuming the one that got hit up. But the shooter traveled all the way from Allen, Texas to target Mexicans. So maybe people should be a little more concerned when traveling through other parts of Texas. (Note sarcasm). Keep enjoying our friendly city as you pass through. You will meet some of the friendliest people and you can enjoy some of the best authentic Mexican food. Julioís is a favorite of ours off I-10. 😊

Tincampers 08-17-2019 12:26 PM

We never felt unsafe due to crime, just a lot of heavy traffic and construction. We did take the mountain bypass on two occasions and would do that again. Much more relaxing.

juliesAS22 08-17-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tincampers (Post 2278019)
We never felt unsafe due to crime, just a lot of heavy traffic and construction. We did take the mountain bypass on two occasions and would do that again. Much more relaxing.

Thanks everyone for the info !!! I have taken good notes from everyone's comments and am planning accordingly.... especially the suggested BBQ stops. :brows:

Scoot22 08-17-2019 05:52 PM

Very safe route ó weíve made dozens of trips to El Paso from both San Antonio and Dallas. Donít pass up Cattlemanís Steakhouse in Fabens just east of El Paso. Itís a historic ranch (several movies were filmed there), and a great restaurant. The Davis Mountains and Balmorhea State Park are also great stops.

rowiebowie 08-17-2019 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoot22 (Post 2278135)
Very safe route — we’ve made dozens of trips to El Paso from both San Antonio and Dallas. Don’t pass up Cattleman’s Steakhouse in Fabens just east of El Paso. It’s a historic ranch (several movies were filmed there), and a great restaurant. The Davis Mountains and Balmorhea State Park are also great stops.

Balmorhea was closed to camping when we were through in March. Almost 5 months ago, but still check before going. They did not tell us the park was closed, because technically, they were open to day parking and use of their picnic tables right at the park entrance. Felt like we were severely misled since you weren't allowed more than 100 yds into the park.

Arrived late and no other place around, so we got to stay at this "lovely" graveled rv park nearby.:(

TXGal 08-18-2019 07:34 AM

Thought I would leave this as one last note. This is the type people and city you could expect to find when passing through. Family. #elpasostrong https://www.facebook.com/14404862896...822126&sfns=mo