Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Argosy Motorhomes (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f310/)
-   -   1977 argosy 28 454 motor mounts (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f310/1977-argosy-28-454-motor-mounts-198351.html)

Jjona5 07-17-2019 11:54 PM

1977 argosy 28 454 motor mounts
 
I can't seem to find motor mounts that fit. Anyone else had this problem? I order them for the 77 p30 454 and the angle ends up being wrong and the bolt wont go through. I'd love to get a poly set as my power is up dramatically from the original.

tevake 07-18-2019 12:56 AM

Haven't had to deal with the motor mounts yet. Surely someone will chime in with the info you need.

I'm interested in how you have boosted the power of your engine, can you fill us in ? Is it the original unit?

Cheers Richard

bkahler 07-18-2019 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjona5 (Post 2265800)
I can't seem to find motor mounts that fit. Anyone else had this problem? I order them for the 77 p30 454 and the angle ends up being wrong and the bolt wont go through. I'd love to get a poly set as my power is up dramatically from the original.

I just went to Napa and said I needed motor mounts for a chevy 454 in a P30 chassis. It's my understanding that GM used the same basic motor mounts for pretty much all of the small block/big block engines from the 50s through the 80s or 90s.

Can you post a picture of the problem? When I was installing my engine I had to wiggle the engine some to get things to line up properly but there was no gross mis-alignment.

Brad

GREEN ARGOSY 07-18-2019 07:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I want to know the polyurethane motor mounts for Argosy motorhome with BBC.

I made a mistake before, bought wrong motor mounts for my Argosy.
I should have checked the original motor mounts before the order.
It's my shame story of a shopping from foreign country. :lol::lol:

Attachment 346975
The new one is not same shape as the original.
It might be for SBC.

Attachment 346976
I use non poly mounts (WESTAR EM2395) for my Argosy at this point.

But I'm interested with in "Prothane 7-507".
The list doesn't say about P30, however it included several cars which have a 454 8cyl.
(C10 - C30, K10 - K30, R10 - R30, G10 - G30 and etc.. But those model years are later than Argosies.. )

Check it out page 18 in the link below!
https://prothane.com/wp-content/uplo...NT-7-10-18.pdf

At least Rock Auto said "WESTAR EM2395 fits for those cars".

Anyway, I'm not sure the "Prothane 7-507" would be able to use for P30 or not. I need to more research about it, do not trust me!

Thank you
Yuki

bibbs 07-18-2019 01:11 PM

I don’t remember where I bought mine for the ‘75’ but it was no problem, RockAuto? Or the local auto parts store. It was a few years ago.

GREEN ARGOSY 07-18-2019 07:06 PM

Sorry for the lots of posts on this thread.

I looked for motor mounts on the web then found the other ones.

"Energy Suspension 3.1121" it says "3 mounting holes style clam shell insert", I think this is what I needed.

https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/3.1121

I should try it for my Argosy, however mine has just a stock motor.. :brows:

Jjona5 07-18-2019 11:06 PM

I have a 496 cu inch fuel injected motor. I put in the poly trans mount but the only engine mounts that I've been able to buy locally don't fit. I guess I could give rockauto a whirl. I'm just terrible at returning things. The mounts that came off my 454 fit perfectly just like they did on the 454. Shrug.

Jjona5 07-18-2019 11:08 PM

Energy suspensions tech support is pretty terrible. I asked them about conflicting catalog data they had about the transmission mount I bought and they told me they had no verified data. I love the company but straight answers would be helpful. I ended up going by what amazon said fit(not what their catalog said) and it fit perfectly.

I looked at reviews for that clamshell insert and a youtube video and you have to cut open your old mount and right now its the only set that actually fits. I'd hate to destroy it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREEN ARGOSY (Post 2266065)
Sorry for the lots of posts on this thread.

I looked for motor mounts on the web then found the other ones.

"Energy Suspension 3.1121" it says "3 mounting holes style clam shell insert", I think this is what I needed.

https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/3.1121

I should try it for my Argosy, however mine has just a stock motor.. :brows:


Jjona5 07-18-2019 11:13 PM

I do like that the only complaints about those prothanes are they have to be shaved down to fit. I can live with that.

Jjona5 07-18-2019 11:17 PM

Well I went to the energy suspension page and it states, "3 Bolt Style. to replace the inserts of the following GM type mounts: 15731260 / 15529451 / 15529452 / 15592505 / 22145334 and aftermarket part number 2412."

Then I went to rockauto and found a mount that had the oem part numbers listed Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 14071939, 22145334, 22188393, 334941, 357717, 3993721

Looks like we have a match.

I'm going to order a set of the rockauto mounts(3 bucks) and if they work I'll probably order the energy suspension inserts and try to put them into my original mounts.

davejay 07-21-2019 08:12 PM

Hey,
What did you use for your dipstick tube. It looks like stainless. I like that idea. And what did u use for the actual dipstick. I made a new one,and it's still tough to get in and out. Thanks DJ

Jjona5 07-21-2019 10:46 PM

I'm guessing something like this. https://www.lokar.com/engine-dipsticks.html

I used them in my v8 volvo for transmission and oil.

GREEN ARGOSY 07-22-2019 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjona5 (Post 2266116)
Well I went to the energy suspension page and it states, "3 Bolt Style. to replace the inserts of the following GM type mounts: 15731260 / 15529451 / 15529452 / 15592505 / 22145334 and aftermarket part number 2412."

Then I went to rockauto and found a mount that had the oem part numbers listed Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 14071939, 22145334, 22188393, 334941, 357717, 3993721

Looks like we have a match.

I'm going to order a set of the rockauto mounts(3 bucks) and if they work I'll probably order the energy suspension inserts and try to put them into my original mounts.

I ordered the motor mount inserts on amazon last week.
I'm going to dismantle the original motor mounts, then I try to put in the insert to the clam shell when the parcel has arrived!

GREEN ARGOSY 07-22-2019 06:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by davejay (Post 2267197)
Hey,
What did you use for your dipstick tube. It looks like stainless. I like that idea. And what did u use for the actual dipstick. I made a new one,and it's still tough to get in and out. Thanks DJ

Attachment 347315
I use Lokar X1220027 for the engine oil dipstick, and also use similar flexible braided stainless dipstick for trans fluid.

I eliminated the original "long" engine oil dipstick and filler tube.
Lokar X1220027 is not likes the original, just mounts to a header bolt.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.