Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1974 - 1979 Sovereign (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f221/)
-   -   75 Sovereign- Full Renowski-(help) (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f221/75-sovereign-full-renowski-help-198027.html)

Howardhome 07-10-2019 03:36 PM

75 Sovereign- Full Renowski-(help)

2 Attachment(s)
Bought this 1975 Sovereign a month ago. I'm on the frame now grinding away the rust. I have 80% of the belly pan removed minus the middle section where it sits under the fresh water tank, it is really sandwiched between the frame. I need to remove 80% of the banana wraps too so I can start grinding the out riggers and edges of the main frame. The rust has been minimal except where the water heater and bathroom where (middle bath). I am in Northern California and noticed minimal water damage except under the front window. The curved from windows have condensation between the glass panes and I'm guessing water came in from there. Anyway. I scan a lot of these posts and the more I read the easier it is to move forward but I'll need guidance and wisdom from you champs who have gone before me. Quitting this isn't an option for me as my wife and I plan on making this home for a couple years and save some money while being able to hit the road.

Howardhome 07-10-2019 03:40 PM

Order of operations

Seeing where I am at now. What would your advice be for me going forward on what to do next? and then after that? I have electrical to test and re wire, plumbing, sealing, windows to take apart, clean and re-seal, flooring, bellypan, and polish. Or should i polish first and then seal it up? Thanks!

NavyCorpsman 07-10-2019 03:58 PM

Awesome. I admire your enthusiasm. We all will learn from you. I look forward to the updates, please!. I really need to do the same to my 78........

Bubba L 07-10-2019 04:39 PM

Iím assuming youíre not going for a shell off, right? In that case I think I would work my way upward. You need to figure out your tank sizes/capacity and locations. After painting the frame members and tank installation, then consider the subfloor. Then sealing the interior side of the exterior skin (including leaky windows), wiring, insulation etc. try and think these phases all the way through so you donít cover yourself up. Wiring, what requires 12vdc, 120vac, coax cable, phone charging receptacles (and locations) etc. A lot to think about. If you want to polish, go for it. Itís your trailer. I didnít on our trailers because I wasnít sure what panel may be replaced or modified. There are a lot more folks here that are more familiar with the 70s that will chime in. Iím more familiar with pre-70s. But they have the same basics. Good luck and ask the questions.

AlinCal 07-10-2019 09:56 PM

Bubba has good advice...until he says go for it on the polishing (sorry Bubba ;)), don't waste your time polishing a trailer that you can't use or needs lots of other attention.
Your trailer looks great and keep working towards making it usable and not another polished shell I see for sale.
Once the frame is done and any subfloor work is done(tanks etc) and the subfloor is back in place you should consider making the shell water tight, leaks are easier to find with inner panels off.
Good Luck!

rucos 07-11-2019 09:47 AM

I would agree with AlinCal ...dont spend a moment on polishing until you are done with everything.... everyone wants a pretty shell but its a lot of work and you may burn out on the whole project ....and it doesn't make the trailer any more usable. Once you've seen the leaks with the inner skins off you'll have an great opportunity to really do a great sealing job..... do you need to shell off?? .... make sure you check the tanks out I found my black was cracked on top and the 1970 did'nt come with greys (i installed 2 plus a new black). I would do subfloor first ....Leave the belly pans off until near the end as it gives you the ability to run wiring etc. under the floor.
You have a great blank slate and can do a lot of changes to the original layout with a bit of thought.
Good luck ...it looks like a nice unit.

Bubba L 07-11-2019 10:42 AM

I totally agree with all the comments on polishing first. I had a guy recently contact me with questions on a pre-60s trailer. It was all original, but needing a lot of work. I asked what he was going to start on first and he said the flooring as soon as it gets back from the polisher. I asked why in the world would he have it polished first. He said because itís my trailer. So, I can just give my opinion whether they heed or not. It sure lessens the chance of someone finishing a complete reno of a trailer if they polish first due to the amount of work. I liken polishing to the icing on the cake once the cake is done. Iíve never seen icing on a cake that wasnít done first. I should have been more explicit in my explanation. Good luck Howardhome.

trashbag 07-11-2019 12:58 PM

im totally redoing a 72 ambassador. im doing the opposite of other replies. im totally cleaning up the outside. I don't like the mirror shining look so im just polishing once then letting it go. my reason for polishing first is that there wont be anything in my way ie. lights ect. after that I am starting with the roof and working my way around. after I have the outside sealed up I will work on the floor. mine is outside and I don't want my new subfloor getting wet.

Howardhome 07-12-2019 07:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Bubba, Rucos, Alin I appreciate the responses! I had no idea anyone me would stumble upon this 😅
Today I got off work early and took my front square window frame to the local glass shop to get a quote on them getting me a thick ďbulletproofĒ replacement. Idk the lingo but it will be nice and half the price of the vintagetrailedsupplies $600 replacement. After that my wife and I took off all the banana wraps which were pretty easy and only needed 7-8 rivets remover total....Now I can finally have access to the outriggers to grind at, it looks like all are good except one which Iíll have a buddy cut something for me to replace it.
After the rust removal Iíll coat it in POR 15. How much do I need for a 31 footer? I was thinking 1 gallon?
Then Iíll get after the subfloor.

Bubba L 07-12-2019 07:59 PM

I donít remember how much Por I used on the 22 footers. Expect to need more than you figure. I did apply two top coats which was needed for the silver to cover the black. Check on the forums for quantities if no one responds. Also, hope I didnít tick you off about any of my comments. You look pretty devious with those safety glasses and that hammer in your hands. Keep the progress going.

57Vintage 07-13-2019 10:55 PM

I would recommend buying the POR in no bigger than quart cans. It does not store well after being opened. For two coats you'll probably use up a gallon's worth. Don't forget the top coat for exposed areas like the tongue and rear frame rails, other wise it will dull down rather quickly. Learned from experience.

Howardhome 07-13-2019 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubba L (Post 2263802)
I donít remember how much Por I used on the 22 footers. Expect to need more than you figure. I did apply two top coats which was needed for the silver to cover the black. Check on the forums for quantities if no one responds. Also, hope I didnít tick you off about any of my comments. You look pretty devious with those safety glasses and that hammer in your hands. Keep the progress going.

Haha no offense taken at all Bubba. I canít help it. Iím a normal dude drilling out rivets but give me a hammer, crow bar, or even a putty knife and you never know what will happen next 😅. I think Iím going to go with a gallon. How long did you wait until you applied your second coat?

Howardhome 07-13-2019 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57Vintage (Post 2264162)
I would recommend buying the POR in no bigger than quart cans. It does not store well after being opened. For two coats you'll probably use up a gallon's worth. Don't forget the top coat for exposed areas like the tongue and rear frame rails, other wise it will dull down rather quickly. Learned from experience.

Harold & Rebecca,
Thank you for that info! I recently saw a video from Miller Garage on you tube whoís doing an awesome renovation currently and documenting it all and he went with Eastwood Extreme Chasis for the hitch.

Howardhome 07-13-2019 11:27 PM

The rust exposed

3 Attachment(s)
Really excited the getting the wheel well covers off and the rust came off easy! I cut off all the elevator bolts and grinded about half of the outriggers. I still have some more on the under part to get to there is still a section of belly pan left thatís in good shape but Iím tempted to taking a hammer to it and buying a new sheet later...it looks to be in good shape though so probably not a good idea..