Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/)
-   -   Restoration Resources (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/restoration-resources-19775.html)

paulgies 12-21-2005 06:36 PM

Restoration Resources

I recently picked up a 1968 Airstream International 30' travel trailer and need to locate resources to repair and renovate the unit.

Specifically, I am looking for a factory owner and service manual that would detail things like wirings and appliance operations.

Also need parts sources as lots of little things like window cranks, shades and lamps need replacing.

I also need to figure out how to evaluate the furnace and see if it can be used or needs replacement.

The overhead A/C - Furnace is a Coleman and I wonder if any bolt in units are available to replace it.

The cabinets are dated and I would like to find a source for burnished aluminum to improve the apearance of some of the exposed panels.

I don't know anything about running it's plumbing and need reading material that details general maintenence and use.

Any help or referrals would be greatly appreciated.

driftwood 12-21-2005 07:24 PM

paulgies,

You can find previous discussions and even photos for any and all of the repair experiences of others, by using the 'search' tools at the top right of each page. Within the 'drop down box' the advanced search may serve you best, by allowing you to choose specific forums to search within.

Once you access the ‘Advanced Search’ try typing in a Key Word on the left side.

Then choose one or more of the most specific Forums ‘Electrical / Window / Air Conditioners / etc., etc.’ in the area on the right called Search in Forum(s)

For a more general beginning just click the FORUMS tab at the top left of each page and wander around.

You may also look at this: CLICK HERE ... you may get a kick out of it. (or not)

Oh yeah ... Welcome!

juel 12-21-2005 08:07 PM

There are so many websites on this forum to help you. Here is one you may like www.winonamanufacturing.com Just keep reading the forum and you should find all kinds of information and some very nice people who are happy to help you with your restoration. We love this kind of thing; however, it's mind numbing to try to think of all the sites we know and have used. Just search and make your own list.

Condoluminum 12-21-2005 08:16 PM

Welcome and be prepared...

Paulgies-

Welcome to the Forum, and get ready to be overwhelmed.. Literally thousands of helpful members, many with identical units and similar problems solved already! In addition, there are resources like Airstream Inc in Ohio, who can steer you to replacement manuals, and provide many parts. There are also specialized Airstream repair shops, like Inland RV in southern Calif, that stock old parts, offer advice and do repairs.

Furnace repairs, plumbing upgrades and A/C replacement are not terribly difficult, once schematics, routing and layouts are understood.. As you'll discover, many here are taking trailer projects down to bare frame, rebuilding the chassis, and starting from there to assemble a new trailer inside a refurbished shell...

The search feature is terrific, and you can look forward to lots of advice! :cool:

John McGowan

till 12-21-2005 08:54 PM

Secritarial services has your manual. Window parts can be hard to find, but are out there.
Your "overhead" AC/furnace is a replacment for the original Armstrong.
Your manual will walk you through most of the operation and maintenance of your new coach.

Welcome to the Curved Corning Club!!!

Buttercup 12-22-2005 01:33 AM

In the Aug, 2005 Blue Beret they advertise that at airstream.com, has copies of the 1968 Airstream Owners manual. Hope that helps...