Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f426/)
-   -   1971 Magic Chef Oven How-To (AKA Ovens for Dummies) (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f426/1971-magic-chef-oven-how-to-aka-ovens-for-dummies-197027.html)

bwhitaker 06-17-2019 06:42 PM

1971 Magic Chef Oven How-To (AKA Ovens for Dummies)

2 Attachment(s)
First step is admitting my complete ignorance in this, which is like 98%.

I want to see if my oven works and if not, why not.

The previous owner said it did not work.

There was a very very small amount of mercury in the bottom of it when I got it. Otherwise, I haven't done a thing (except remove the mercury).

Any hints/suggestions on what to do next?

Yes, there is a gas line (working) that goes to the oven.

I'll start with an exterior and interior picture.

Thank you in advance.

CaCraig 06-17-2019 06:45 PM

There’s a small amount of mercury in the thermostat so if it has leaked out your thermostat is bad. There are places that will rebuild them but it will set you back a couple hundred dollars.

rowiebowie 06-17-2019 06:59 PM

Sorry I don't have a suggestion on testing the stove, but I do suggest you find a way to ensure all mercury traces have been removed before firing it up.

AlbertF 06-17-2019 07:54 PM

Make sure the gas is on. Turn the knob to pilot. Press and hold, light with a lighter. Hold for about 30 seconds until warm so the pilot light stays lit. Turn the thermostat up and the flame should travel right to left along the burner tube. Except it probably won’t if the thermostat has leaked mercury.

bwhitaker 06-17-2019 10:35 PM

Thank you thus far. I was able to keep the pilot lit without much difficulty. When I turn the temperature to any setting, nothing happens. Does this mean the thermostat is broken?

AlbertF 06-18-2019 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwhitaker (Post 2253681)
Thank you thus far. I was able to keep the pilot lit without much difficulty. When I turn the temperature to any setting, nothing happens. Does this mean the thermostat is broken?

Based on CaCraig’s reply, I would say yes.

The oven is nice to have, but now you need to decide whether to repair or replace.

Blu_Hwy_Lady 06-18-2019 11:14 AM

Get Rid of It

The Magic Chef oven in my 1972 Safari literally blew up in my face twice when I tried to light the pilot--fried bangs and singed eyebrows. Plus, the thermostat never worked and it would get hot enough to fire pottery.

I liked the vintage look but it's not like it was one of those ones that was a cool retro color. I finally got a Suburban replacement that fits that odd-sized opening. Having a safe cooking appliance is really important. Actually, I got 3 Suburbans since the first two had pilots that wouldn't light and I had to send them back. (Note: Don't buy from eBay.) The new Suburban is black--which I don't like--but it's safe. No pilot for the burners which I like. It works ok. I use an oven thermometer and it takes a really long time to heat up. I put pizza stones in the bottom to help it maintain an even temperature.

Messing around with a vintage stove is risky business unless you're an expert.

mkcurtiss 06-18-2019 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady (Post 2253843)
The Magic Chef oven in my 1972 Safari literally blew up in my face twice when I tried to light the pilot--fried bangs and singed eyebrows. Plus, the thermostat never worked and it would get hot enough to fire pottery.

I liked the vintage look but it's not like it was one of those ones that was a cool retro color. I finally got a Suburban replacement that fits that odd-sized opening. Having a safe cooking appliance is really important. Actually, I got 3 Suburbans since the first two had pilots that wouldn't light and I had to send them back. (Note: Don't buy from eBay.) The new Suburban is black--which I don't like--but it's safe. No pilot for the burners which I like. It works ok. I use an oven thermometer and it takes a really long time to heat up. I put pizza stones in the bottom to help it maintain an even temperature.

Messing around with a vintage stove is risky business unless you're an expert.

gONNA HAFTA AGREE WITH BLUE HIWAY LADY ! Get a new oven. I spent $200 getting my pilot assembly rebuilt at the recommended place and it was a waste of money....better yet, consider getting one of those cool slide out dishwashers to put in its place,,,,thats where I am at now....:)

skyguyscott 06-18-2019 07:12 PM

You could probably find a replacement oven for cheaper than a repair, if you're not too concerned with keeping everything original.

I never used the oven on my Magic Chef stove, so when I did a complete galley remodel last year, I replaced it and installed an drop-in surface range (top burners only) that has a cool glass top that closes flush with the counter top.

Would a microwave there be better use of the space for you? Some love to do baking whilst camping. Others, like me, never do.

AlbertF 06-18-2019 10:26 PM

We used the oven regularly in our old Overlander. It was nice to be able to heat up a pizza without needing an electric connection. The microwave in our new trailer is nice, but I’m not sure which is the better option.

bibbs 06-19-2019 11:27 AM

Find a used oven at a rv salvage yard. Use it for parts I have had 4 70s oven's in different trailers and motor homes, they all worked. I like having an oven i don’t need a microwave. But that’s just the way we do it.

Camper Crazy 06-20-2019 10:43 PM

bwhitaker, I have just removed a like new magic chef from my '72 overlander (rather camp than cook). Let me know if you're interested.