Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   2011 - 2015 Classic (all lengths) (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f520/)
-   -   Replacement bed for 2015 Classic (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f520/replacement-bed-for-2015-classic-195378.html)

alano 05-07-2019 07:55 PM

Replacement bed for 2015 Classic

Our classic has a reclining queen that definitely needs replacement! The current mattress has a slit to allow the head portion to bend. Is there a good quality replacement? Have any of you replaced it with a foam mattress and does it bend OK or does it need a slit? What thickness foam mattresses work well?

beetlebob 05-10-2019 02:21 PM

We have used a few different toppers. We now have the tempermatic topper. Itís a little expensive but worth the money. It moves a little but any topper does when you raise and lower your mattress like we have to. Only thing we have to do is cut the corners and I think a little off the length. If you order from the factory they were throwing in one pillow. Great pillow. This topper reminds us of our regular tempermatic mattress that we had when we had a house.

alano 05-10-2019 02:48 PM

Bob, are you referring to a Tempur-Pedic topper? Unfortunately, a well has developed in our mattress that swallows up either my wife or me! So I need more than a topper. I'm guessing that any foam mattress to size will work with the reclining feature. I guess I'm going to have to find out for myself.

Al and Missy 05-10-2019 03:54 PM

Al,
Sleep number makes an RV queen mattress, and theirs are designed to go on adjustable beds. The bottom of the mattress cover is a strong poly mesh. It is held to the bed with bolts into the bed frame which have large nylon washers to spread the load. I see no reason whey you couldn't screw it down using the washers but with wood screws into the Airstream bed base.

Al

Nelson428 05-10-2019 06:01 PM

I switched to a Nectar queen and it works fine for me. Little close on the length but I love the size oh and I travel alone except for my dog.

wulfraat 05-10-2019 06:39 PM

Replacement bed for 2015 Classic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al and Missy (Post 2240182)
Al,
Sleep number makes an RV queen mattress, and theirs are designed to go on adjustable beds. The bottom of the mattress cover is a strong poly mesh. It is held to the bed with bolts into the bed frame which have large nylon washers to spread the load. I see no reason whey you couldn't screw it down using the washers but with wood screws into the Airstream bed base.

Al

I have the RV radius queen mattress from sleep number. The R5 - purchased about 3 months ago new.

Itís different from the i8 we have at home. My home sleep number has built-in anchor points and attaches to the adjustable frame as discussed above. My R5 does not have any attachment points whatsoever to secure it to an adjustable bed frame.

Not a problem for my because our international bed platform is flat and doesnít articulate. But it would definitely slip around on a tilting bed.... just wanted to share my personal experience with sleep number. Mattress is awesome.

beetlebob 05-11-2019 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alano (Post 2240165)
Bob, are you referring to a Tempur-Pedic topper? Unfortunately, a well has developed in our mattress that swallows up either my wife or me! So I need more than a topper. I'm guessing that any foam mattress to size will work with the reclining feature. I guess I'm going to have to find out for myself.

We to had a low area in the middle that caused us to almost crash into each other. With the Tempur-Pedic we donít. We have never tried the sleep number and hear great things about it too. I have had someone say that the sleep number has a air compressor type device on it and it has to be plugged in. I personally donít know about that and maybe the other people who have one can answer that question. He said that sometimes it would turn on when he was in the bed. This is our experience.

alano 05-11-2019 12:28 PM

Well, I pulled the trigger on the 8.5" "Airstream" foam mattress so I'll see how that works out and perhaps return it if it doesn't feel right. Wish I would have looked into the sleep number bed before!