Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Airstream Lifestyle (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483/)
-   -   EZ Pass (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483/ez-pass-194616.html)

Docbutch 04-18-2019 08:00 AM

EZ Pass
 
Is it logical to assume that you can't use the EZ Pass toll lanes when towing a trailer?

nedmoto 04-18-2019 08:05 AM

No, The toll scanners will see the additional axel(s) and charge appropriately.

SeaLevel 04-18-2019 08:08 AM

You can. I prefer staying off toll roads when pulling the trailer, preferring to travel on smaller highways, but sometimes a toll road is the only (or best) way to go. It's called sunpass here in FL. Just slow down like you're supposed to if going through a toll gate.

jaybauman 04-18-2019 08:10 AM

Go for it
 
While the local govt administrators aren’t so smart, the EZ Pass system is. You can drive like you normally would (assuming, of course, that you have an EZ Pass and that your rig will fit through the toll plaza). Click here for confirmation.

ROBERT CROSS 04-18-2019 09:43 AM

In NY we get a second transmitter to use with any two axle trailer, they both have to be on the windshield when towing.

Bob
🇺🇸

Daquenzer 04-18-2019 09:59 AM

Drive through Chicago with the AS. We get charged accordingly. Just charge my credit card on hand. Wouldn't have it any other way. Way cheaper than going through the booths by the way.

SewStream 04-18-2019 10:56 AM

EZ Pass works when hauling my horses in the horse trailer. EZ Pass works with the Airstream. If only the whole toll system country-wide would adopt EZ Pass. Then we’d never have to pull into a toll plaza.

OTRA15 04-18-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS (Post 2232423)
In NY we get a second transmitter to use with any two axle trailer, they both have to be on the windshield when towing.

Bob
����

Here is the NYS EZPass application -- we are in Class 076 with our single-axle FC20:

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/ta-w68176.pdf

Whether a toll scanner will read your axle count correctly is an open question IMO. Having the correct EZPass for your rig permits travel in all states which accept EZPass [most IMO], and having peace of mind at the same time. Not to mention avoiding a ticket from an aggressive LEO.

Also, EZPass charges are usually cheaper than when a state is forced to read your license plate [and axles] and send a bill.

:blink:

Happy Trails,

Peter

PS -- "EZPass" search results FYI reveals many other threads/posts here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=EZPa...com&gws_rd=ssl

AirstreamJim 04-18-2019 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS (Post 2232423)
In NY we get a second transmitter to use with any two axle trailer, they both have to be on the windshield when towing.

Bob
🇺🇸

I got a second transponder to use with the trailer but I was specifically instructed by NY EZPass to switch the transponders and use one when towing and the other when not. I believe that using both at the same time on the same vehicle opens the possibility of you being charged twice.

All that said, I learned rather quickly in my travels around NYS that it doesn’t matter whether you use the towing transponder or not; they detect the number of axles and charge your account correctly, no matter which transponder you’re using.

Now that we’re in Florida, SunPass told me to just tow with the same transponder, they’ll detect the number of axles and charge the account appropriately. My account statements bear that out.

Jim

GMFL 04-18-2019 08:09 PM

Last year for our trip to the FL Keys. We ordered a SunPass a few weeks before. Worked like a charm. Way easier and faster than stopping at the booth, plus you don’t have to keep all that change and loose cash around.

OTRA15 04-18-2019 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirstreamJim (Post 2232600)
. . .
Now that we’re in Florida, SunPass told me to just tow with the same transponder, they’ll detect the number of axles and charge the account appropriately. My account statements bear that out.

Jim

That is our understanding of SunPass also FWIW. Most of the states have reciprocal agreements at this point.

:blink:

We put only one transponder on the windshield. The other inactive one is in a special bag which prevents it from being read by the overhead RFID scanner.

kpm 04-19-2019 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTRA15 (Post 2232642)
That is our understanding of SunPass also FWIW. Most of the states have reciprocal agreements at this point. [...]

FWIW we use our Illinois IPass any place an EZPass is accepted. I would think this would also apply for SunPass locations. Any electronic tolling station has always detected the number of axles automatically, AFAIK :lol:

Short563 04-19-2019 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpm (Post 2232667)
FWIW we use our Illinois IPass any place an EZPass is accepted. I would think this would also apply for SunPass locations. Any electronic tolling station has always detected the number of axles automatically, AFAIK :lol:


In my experience from driving on Sun Pass toll ways, I’ve never been able to use the IPass. Here is what I found on the IPass website:

“Currently, the Central Florida Expressway (CFX) is the only toll operator in Florida that accepts I-PASS and E-ZPass. I-PASS users that travel out of network and are unable to pay with cash may receive toll-by-plate invoices from other Florida tolling agencies.”

OTRA15 04-19-2019 05:00 AM

Clear as mud here:

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/...can-use-theirs
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...109-story.html
https://www.sunpass.com/en/support/faq.shtml

:blink:

In this day and age . . .

:bb:

FYI/FWIW

GeocamperAS 04-19-2019 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Docbutch (Post 2232383)
Is it logical to assume that you can't use the EZ Pass toll lanes when towing a trailer?



I have an I-Pass from Illinois which works in EZ Pass tolls. I registered my trailer online (as a trailer not a vehicle).
Whenever I go through it counts axles and charges accordingly.

brick1 04-19-2019 07:12 AM

Georgia does not allow towing on toll lanes. Automatic $25 ticket by mail. However, GA PeachPass is reciprocal, and works just fine on the Florida Turnpike and other toll roads in FL.

urnmor 04-19-2019 07:44 AM

I have towed in NY but never knew I needed a second EZ pass when towing the AS. Is there a reason for that or does it apply only to NY residents

featherbedder 04-19-2019 08:16 AM

My Il IPass transponder is registered to pu, AS, and auto, is good for what vehicle it is in, charges accordingly, but some times forget to change rec. letter of violation, simply ph. toll authority give transponder # no penalty chges. also have transponder for semi & other pu works in either same as other transponder. Big plus tolls are cheaper w/IPass & w/open rd tolling in Il. no lost time at toll booths or back ups paying. Nice to sail thru at 65mph or more w/AS or solo veh. same w/other dedicated transponder.

Wayne&Sam 04-19-2019 08:17 AM

I've never had a separate NY EZ Pass for our trailers. I need separate ones for our 1 and 2 axle trailers. I asked at toll booths (in multiple states) and they've always told me it was OK to tow on my regular pass.

kpm 04-19-2019 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeocamperAS (Post 2232671)
I have an I-Pass from Illinois which works in EZ Pass tolls. I registered my trailer online (as a trailer not a vehicle).
Whenever I go through it counts axles and charges accordingly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by featherbedder (Post 2232704)
My Il IPass transponder is registered to pu, AS, and auto, is good for what vehicle it is in, charges accordingly, but some times forget to change rec. letter of violation, simply ph. toll authority give transponder # no penalty chges. also have transponder for semi & other pu works in either same as other transponder. Big plus tolls are cheaper w/IPass & w/open rd tolling in Il. no lost time at toll booths or back ups paying. Nice to sail thru at 65mph or more w/AS or solo veh. same w/other dedicated transponder.

The I-Pass help page (link) seems to be saying that registering the trailer is no longer required:
Quote:

Can I use my regular I-Pass when I tow a trailer or drive an RV?

Yes. In fact, the technology in the open road tolling lanes will automatically calculate and deduct the proper toll. You no longer need to use the cash lanes or purchase a special transponder.
Based on this I registered my truck as two axles, figuring they will pick up presence of the trailer without me telling them I'm towing :unsure:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.