Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/)
-   -   7-Way Connector Queston (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/7-way-connector-queston-193473.html)

5150mike 03-21-2019 06:46 PM

7-Way Connector Queston

I have an 2018 F-250 PSD and 2016 FC FBT, The 7 Pin plug does not seem to go all the way into the socket, It just seems like the tab on the door, is the only thing holding it in and the pins do not actually engage each other, BUT When it is plugged in and the door tab is holding the plugin, the lights do not flicker, they do stay on. that is a good thing but is it right? Mike

nvestysly 03-21-2019 06:50 PM

HmmmmÖ. I'm not quite sure what you're saying/asking.

Sounds like your lights work fine - is that correct? Do the brakes work? All systems working as far as you know? If yes, then sounds like you don't have a problem.

If the 7-way plug goes into the socket far enough that the tab on the door engages with the bump on the plug then that's as far as is going. It won't go any farther. The tab and bump lock the plug into the socket.

DaveP 03-21-2019 06:51 PM

They tend to be kinda loose. Mine is. If the tab is latched on the door and the lights don't flicker, you have a winner.

rmkrum 03-21-2019 08:37 PM

7-Way Connector Queston

I have to push rather hard to seat my 7-pin. Once itís solid, the cover latches it and my trailer lights and brake systems work fine. Leads to hand strain and skinned knuckles occasionally, and when I bend down or kneel itís Ďinteresting Ď to get back up.
Iím going to the EZConnector system to avoid the skinned knuckles. These lock up tight using magnets and gold plated pressure pins. You literally just line it up, and it jumps together and holds tight.

billrector 03-22-2019 05:45 AM

With my 2017 F-250, the connection is also loose. In fact, on the way to FL, I kept getting ďtrailer disconnectedĒ messages on my dash. Then it would suddenly reconnect. It continued this for awhile. I sprayed the connector with contact cleaner and the messages continued. For some reason, they went away about an hour later.

martyw 03-22-2019 07:03 AM

7-way connector

I recently had a similar issue with 'loose' connector between trailer and TV. I ended up replacing the Airstream side connector with a Pollak 12-706. Previously, my TV was a 14 Tundra and did not appear to be 'too' loose. After upgrading TV to a 18 2500 Ram, it appeared the connectors were not fulling engaging. Search revealed the Airstream connector was the issue. see following for full explanation and images: http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2016/d...ConnCompat.pdf

I replaced the Airstream side connector with a Pollak 12-706 and the connecters now to appear to be fully seated. Apparently, the issue was related to the 'molded' trailer side connector, as explained and illustrated at the above link.

DaveP 03-22-2019 07:29 AM

Any One Use the EZ Connector System?

Never heard of this EZ Connector Female To 7-Way Male Adapter system. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Mollysdad 03-22-2019 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150mike (Post 2222732)
I have an 2018 F-250 PSD and 2016 FC FBT, The 7 Pin plug does not seem to go all the way into the socket, It just seems like the tab on the door, is the only thing holding it in and the pins do not actually engage each other, BUT When it is plugged in and the door tab is holding the plugin, the lights do not flicker, they do stay on. that is a good thing but is it right? Mike

My Tundra feels the same.
I was afraid the truck half was pushed into the bumper, but it always works.
Some people put a wrap of velcro around the plug/door to insure it stays hooked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveP (Post 2222865)
Never heard of this EZ Connector Female To 7-Way Male Adapter system.

Looks like it adapts a RV plug to a semi-tractor plug.

Bill M. 03-22-2019 07:47 AM

You need to seat it all the way. On my Dodge I have learned that I need to bump it with a hammer to get it to seat all the way in. Nothing wrong with it. Just the rubber to rubber fit plus the pins makes it too hard to seat reliably by just pushing steady.

UncleBad 03-22-2019 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmkrum (Post 2222772)
Iím going to the EZConnector system to avoid the skinned knuckles. These lock up tight using magnets and gold plated pressure pins. You literally just line it up, and it jumps together and holds tight.

Is this the product?

http://ezconnector.com/rv-trailer-plugs.html

Looks nice - my 7 way currently has no issues but this does look like a slick solution. My only worry would be having a non-standard plug.

rmkrum 03-22-2019 09:06 AM

They sell adapters as well as total replacement setups. Iím using adapters for now.

NoResults 03-22-2019 10:19 AM

That looks like a great product. Dave

rmkrum 03-22-2019 03:24 PM

It is a lot easier to hook up, and gives me just enough extra cable length to keep the umbilical well connected on sharp turns.

MIFC 03-22-2019 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyw (Post 2222858)
I recently had a similar issue with 'loose' connector between trailer and TV. I ended up replacing the Airstream side connector with a Pollak 12-706. Previously, my TV was a 14 Tundra and did not appear to be 'too' loose. After upgrading TV to a 18 2500 Ram, it appeared the connectors were not fulling engaging. Search revealed the Airstream connector was the issue. see following for full explanation and images: http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2016/d...ConnCompat.pdf

I replaced the Airstream side connector with a Pollak 12-706 and the connecters now to appear to be fully seated. Apparently, the issue was related to the 'molded' trailer side connector, as explained and illustrated at the above link.

I had the same issue with our 2016 GMC 2500 after a switch from our 2008 Tundra, even worse as they have the plug upside down as far as Iím concerned and the latch is on the bottom.

Switched the original trailer side plug to the Pollak and the issue has been fixed.